We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nail Roulette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I'm doing some research on Nail Roulette routines. Are there any where the helper chooses which container the magician slams his/her hand on?

Also, are any actually considered safer than others? If you know where the nail is then are they all of a similar level of safety? Every one of the routines shown on the infamous video is supposed to be 100% safe and yet...!

Cheers.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
195 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
While not a nail roulette (it's a broken bottle roulette), I'd recommend "Shattered" available at HP and other places. I'd say this is safe and the spectator gets to choose (really choose, not a magicians choice) which to smash.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Yes, WolfgangStiller is right.

Shattered is the only one that is 100% safe and the spectator gets to choose.
I think there is another like Shattered though.
One uses the top of a broken bottle, and the other uses the bottom.

I, personally, like the PK versions myself.
I have a version I make, that I use.
Those are about 99% safe.
I like them because they instill confidence.
The DVD Instict, although good, you still only get the "it should be under this one" feeling from it.
Not, "I know it's under that one" feel.
That the PK versions give you.

Even though I have slammed my hand down on my version before.

Randi
KMan1564
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of KMan1564
I believe Luke Jermay has one in one of his ebooks. IMO, it's 100% safe.
New Mentalism and eMagic Supply Exclusives
http://emagicsupply.com/126.html
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ive tried the PK version I too wear one but I just have not found a very imrpomtu way to do it. I alos truly like Shattered but that would be for a more Parlor or Stage type of environment. How about Smash and Stab from Wayne Dobson? Ive always liked that one and you know him the guy is a true artist. Im pretty sure that is safe as well Jon. But your more in that world then I am, try giving him a call.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
The thing with Smash & Stab is this was the version being used when the woman got her hand stabbed! I should say that it was *not* the fault of the prop! I currently use Shattered and you can't hurt yourself on the upturned bottle. However, I was specifically looking at versions using nails.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12083 Posts

Profile of John C
Theres one call Slamdown by Jimmy Fingers The specs tell you which one to slam (sort of) They think they do anyway. Under the cups you can place anytihng you want.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I like Paolo Cavalli's the best (besides my own Three Trap routine 'Cheap Danger' or traps-a-monte-mental)

Paolo calls it 'Sweet Pain' and it was in Issue 4 of Dale Hidebrandt's Other Stuff.

But Paolo's uses just TWO paper bags (Red and Black) and the most natural force on the planet. It is to my liking because it is a lightning fast routine and can use a nail in a piece of board no problem and has a rewarding ending for the audience. They get candy! 100% safe as well...unless you are really really stupid.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I do a routine with five platforms where the spec does most of the choosing. You can't hear it even on the las two I ge them to choose. No stooging.

Here is a performance from last year.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=62

I did this on TV for Max Magic with a large scuba knife on Dave Courtney.
We actually met Jon at auditions for PLaying Tricks, I think you did bowling ball from briefcase. What you up to these days?

Joe
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Joe,

As has been shown, geting your helper's hand involved can be potentially disastrous. People do things for no apparant reason and it is very easy to concentrate on where the nail/spike is and accidentally slam a hand down on it. Even if you take all the precautions in the world, nothing can prevent human behaviour kicking in!

I'm actually working on a new lecture and some new effects... Smile
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
731 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
I love and use SPIKE!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Jon if you find what you are looking for PLEASE let me know I'm on the same mission except I'm looking for a more Impromtu way since I'm an Everyday close-up type of performer.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Cavalli's routine, a bit altered, I outlined above, could be 'impromptu'...have a couple of 'lunch bags'...Take a sharpie and put a big 'A' on one and a 'B' on the other. 'Fill' them out of sight (under the table) and do the routine which is a very fast (or I suppose you could draw it out for suspense...I like the shock better of them not knowing till after you reveal what you almost just did to your hand.) For an impromptu a broken bottle would work better than a prepped nail in a piece of wood unless you have a small piece of wood and hammer the nail in it in front of them. Works for me.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
In our new show they choose the spike and they slam there hand down....once this years tour is finished I might sell the explanation.

Watch this space.

Best,
Matt
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
My good friend Scott Alexander has a nice presentation with bottles his dvd is the Midnight show.Look it up.
Dick Barry
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Dick Barry
I just purchased Matthew Mello's DVD called "INSTINCT", available from Hocus-Pocus Magic, just to learn the method. It is very good and the price is right. You can make his gimmick in less than 5 minutes. (p.s. I made a limited run of 13 units called "DEADLY DUO". It retailed for $175. and is sold by Hocus-Pocus. That being said, I must admit to the lay audience INSTINCT is just a good.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Thanks Mr. Berry I'll look it up and give you my opinion.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I wouldn't do this routine with a specs hand if I didn't think it was safe. that's one of the reasons I smash the first bag down. With so many platforms so close together I think they might skim it or hit the wrong one.

Anyway just change it so only you smash the bags. The method is based on a card effect Mr Burger.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
You THINK it’s safe? That’s not good enough. Unless your nail is fake and collapsible, it ISN’T safe!

Sorry but any mentalist who performs a dangerous demonstration such as this with a spectator’s hand is risking permanent damage to the spectator’s hand and deserves to never work in this business again.

Imagine if you were at some show and the performer impaled your hand on a nail. Imagine if you lost partial function of your hand for the rest of your life. It’s not funny and it’s not a joke. This is serious and any performer who uses a spectator’s hand for this stunt clearly does not understand what he’s doing.

Clearly the spectator doesn’t understand the danger she’s in. No one has the right to risk someone else’s hand that way. No matter how safe you THINK it is.

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
"You THINK it’s safe? That’s not good enough. Unless your nail is fake and collapsible, it ISN’T safe"

I use a real nail, not collapsable, but it is 100% safe, unless of course I was performing while under the influence of acid or very large amounts of alcohol, then it would be dangerous, hmm on 2nd thought that could happen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nail Roulette (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL