The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn N' Restored Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've been thinking about adding a Torn N' Restored Card to my set. Recently saw John Mendoza's handling. Wondering what anyone's opinion is of John's routine. Would like to hear what you guys have to say.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
John Mendoza's Ultimate Torn & Restored card is a thing of beauty. This is one of my favorite items from The Book of John (and there's a lot to love in that book). Geoff Williams has a nice handling of it on his DVD set, as well.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm a newbie, but I've been getting great responses from the Mark Wilson version.

Magiguy-are any of the ones you mentioned complete restorations? That's the only drawback to the classic I learned in the Mark Wilson course. I'd like to do one that is complete.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I'm not aware of most T&Rs. I think it is because I decided I wanted to do the Reformation and I have seen absolutely nothing since that has made me want to change. Yes, it's tough and knacky and you'll probably have to put a couple of months into getting it right, but oh boy! Is it worth it? How much is real magic worth?
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Branden Darcel
View Profile
New user
Colorado Springs, CO
72 Posts

Profile of Branden Darcel
I'm looking into Theory11's TNR as we speak. Watched the vid and so far it looks very promising, though I won't know for sure how I'll feel about it until I've actually performed it a few times.
Branden Darcel
Mental Illusionist
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Branden:

Be interested in hearing what you think after you have tried it out a few times- also if it is angle sensitive and is it a full restore?? Thanks, Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
If you have the time to spare I would go for Reformation. It is quite a project to take on but very satisfying when you get it. And it looks great!!!!
Branden Darcel
View Profile
New user
Colorado Springs, CO
72 Posts

Profile of Branden Darcel
Jim,

After working TNR a few times I'd say it's a fairly decent effect. I still think that Daniel Garcia's "Torn" wins out at the end of the day, but TNR is pretty sweet.

Yes, it is a full torn and restored, and it has a pretty sweet ending that I REALLY like. It takes more setup and prep than Torn, but it's extremely fun to do. It's also less angle sensitive than Torn (it still is somewhat angle sensitive, but it isn't bad) and is in many ways easier to do.

That said, I think it's easier for things to go wrong with TNR than Torn, and I think TNR would lead to more skepticism from the audience. TNR can be light sensitive I think, and depending on your circumstances you may need to utilize distance from your audience a bit more. There is a little more wiggle room in the way TNR is performed, and performed well I think this effect can be killer, but naturally I think audiences will be a bit more skeptical here than some other TNRs by the end of the effect. You also have to do more clean up at the end, and honestly I think a lot of thought and work needs to be put into how you are going to execute this clean up for the trick to go off smoothly. I don't think the clean up supplied in the video will work in all situations, and I feel its unmotivated, so some work needs to be applied there.

All in all, TNR is a really fun and very creative torn and restored though. I think, of all that I've done, its the one the most feels like you're really doing what people see you doing. The kicker ending rocks too, and for that reason alone I'll at least at times perform TNR, though I plan to continue to use Torn primarily.

I do hope that answers at least some of your questions.

B
Branden Darcel
Mental Illusionist
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Branden:

Yes, you have answered my questions! Thanks for such a thorough reply- like many magicians, I am gradually accumulating a room full of effects that are not really what I want to perform. Since these will likely have little resale value, I am getting a little more particular about these "new ideas" that seem to come along daily. You have been very helpful- thanks... Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've just received Brent Braun's "Decks, Lies, and Videotape" DVD. I'm impressed with his restored card effect "Torched & Restored". I'm now leaning towards Brent's routine. Would like to hear from anyone doing his routine and would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Anyone performing "Torched and Restored"?
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I always perform "Torched and Restored" for my torn and restored effect. I love it! It's looks great, easy to do, and always gets big reactions. I've even impressed other magicians with it so I highly recommend it.
Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
213 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
Tom Mullica has a very visual flash restoration on one of his tapes. Much easier then a piece by piece restoration and eye popingly good.
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
www.CardNowApp.com - iPhone Business Card Magic App
www.armindreader.com – Augmented Reality Magic App
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn N' Restored Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL