The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Searched and Destroyed V.C.A. Conquered (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Thanks, Rutabaga. I just ordered "Slipstream," although there was a problem with their security code. I ordered anyway. Sounds good. Can't wait.
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
Looks like I may end up ordering it at some point... be nicer to have everything all at once rather than track stuff down. [g]

Anybody using this and enjoying it?

Kex
Buddy_815
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Buddy_815
I also have the same question that ixnay66 posted. Why release something to the magic community only to hold something back from the routine. That just doesn't seem right. I am not in any way trying to say anything negative about Reed. His skill is no doubt been provin time and time again and he is a really nice guy. It just seems that holding back part of the work, only to realease it as a single item with work included later seems like a ripoff to the people that thought they already had the real work. I would feel let down if I bought this to only find that he was holding the real method back for whatever reason. Why release it not in its entirety.

Thanks,
-Buddy
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
You guys are funny. Why do you jump to the negative perspective. When I say all of the real work Listen and listen carefully. I published the idea and all of the mechanical workings. So if you are one of the few who own KB6 you don't have to buy the trick that is now being sold all of that work is available to you so from that perspective I held nothing back you got your moneys worth.
The thing your not getting is the gaffs which I have had made, or the presentation which motivates the routine and the details that allow it to be an earner. I didn't want to give that away for me my decision I felt The price for that information was worth more than the price I was asking for KB6. Not to mention it has been available for the last five years to the magic fraternity to make themselves.
Reed
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Was trying to be negitive reed =) I think people are just generally confused of the differences. I think you just cleared it up thought. so by buying the new release rather then KB6

you get ready made gaffs.
presentation with motivation.

that's pretty good =)
but I'm glad you cleared it up, as personally I don't consider my self a good inventor to come up with handlings but I do like making up my own presention and motivation for some things =)
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Not to mention that sometimes a creator puts a routine out with everything he has at that time. He then refines it years later and decides to offer those refinements as well in a new format. Aren't those of you who own the Royal Road to Card Magic book upset that they now are available on DVD's. I'm sure Paul Wilson has added some comments that weren't in the book. I think Hugard and Braue screwed us for not releasing all of the work.
Buddy_815
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Buddy_815
I stated in my message that I was in no why trying to be negative. I just had a sincere question. "Keep in mind I only gave away part of the real work." leads me to believe that it wasnt just the years of refinements and chages that was added but that something needed for the way he presented it was held back from the original manuscript. I just wanted to know what the reasoning was for that. I see now that it really wasnt the real work that was held back, but the gaffs and maybed the presentation. Usually people use the "real work" to describe the goings on behind the scenes that makes the trick work. The stuff the lay don't know. I guess I was just confused as to what was originally held back. Thanks, you cleared that up. I hope you don't think that I was being negative. I have heard other Magicians mention before that they held something back from print when they released certain tricks and that just always bothered me. Like they were almost setting up their fellow Magi to fail. I know you didn't do that so please don't think I am claiming that in this case.

Thanks,
-Buddy
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Can someone please answer the question if this can be adapted to using the same coins? I realize I would have to have the gimmicks made, but if I buy this then it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Ok Well I am glad we were able to clear all of that up. Sickmagic, yes you can absolutely do it with the same coins.
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-04-10 10:18, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Was trying to be negitive reed =) I think people are just generally confused of the differences. I think you just cleared it up thought. so by buying the new release rather then KB6

you get ready made gaffs.
presentation with motivation.

that's pretty good =)
but I'm glad you cleared it up, as personally I don't consider my self a good inventor to come up with handlings but I do like making up my own presention and motivation for some things =)

I just read myself, I ment I was not trying =D
Crimson-Death
View Profile
New user
Since 2006
88 Posts

Profile of Crimson-Death
The real work for this offering would indeed be the presentation for this effect, all of which was interesting to me.... I will adapt it in my own way but using the same theme of the presentation, which leads to the surprising conclusion.

Anyone with Slipstream tried to use sound as a convincer for the traveling of the coins? I need to try a method for that. Or is that even necessary? For the routine, as given you need to use the two sets of coins provided, for those that were asking, as well as long sleeves, however, if you modify the gimmicks a bit as suggested in the instructions and are prepared, you can do this without sleeves.

Yes, you can create your own gimmicks with the same coins, and why not try it, but I love the contrast of the international coins.

Mow, question for those who have this: for lead-in effects, where can I find individual chinese coins that are as similar as possible to the ones provided in Slipstream?
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
For the Chinese coins call Sasco. They have 2 styles, one thicker, one thinner. You want the thinner. John at East Coast may be able to help you, too.

Buddy, sometimes performers release "most" of the work. Not to get one over on their peers, but because they are still performing these effects in their professional work and want to maintain their personal handlings or touches that make the routine 'theirs' and make them unique from everyone else who's now doing their effects. It's a tough mix between getting the recognition you deserve and publishing yourself out of a job.

Reed is a great guy and very giving. And, looking at the massive body of work he's created, I wouldn't begrudge him holding back a few details.

Cheers! Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Searched and Destroyed V.C.A. Conquered (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL