The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It is getting closer. The Olympics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 14:52, Vandy Grift wrote:
Why should China who has never given the slightest consideration to the "International Communities" pleas to clean up it's act on issues such as human rights, freedomn and even the environment, be allowed to host, or frankly, even compete in an International event?

When pretty much every country in the world is happy to deal with / trade with China on other matters, it could be argued that it might be somewhat hypocritical if countries started acting 'righteous' at this late date.

I've yet to actually hear any athletes announce that they will boycott China. Possibly there are some I've missed. But it seems as though the overwhelming majority of athletes are excited and look forward to participating.

My belief is that boycotting the Chinese Olympics at this point would hurt and disappoint the average Chinese citizen far more than it would hurt the Chinese government.

(Day 28)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It drives me crazy that here we are ripping everything out of the ground as fast as we can to sell to them so we can all have plasma tvs. Now apparently they are looking at buying some of our mining companies themselves.

Destiny
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Vandy hit it right on the head.

Also China has proven it's self over and over again it can't be trusted. Not that any government can really but that's beside the point. China will not change for the good. What changes they have made will very quickly vanish without a trace after the olypmics. That is a fact and even more reason that they should have not been chossen as the host. Remember China is still a powerful communist state and will always be.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
But the Olympics are International - not Capitalist.

Destiny
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:10, balducci wrote:
When pretty much every country in the world is happy to deal with / trade with China on other matters, it could be argued that it might be somewhat hypocritical if countries started acting 'righteous' at this late date.

So what?

Quote:
My belief is that boycotting the Chinese Olympics at this point would hurt and disappoint the average Chinese citizen far more than it would hurt the Chinese government.

So what?

Of all people, with all the crying and moaning you do.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If enough athleats and there countries boycotted the 2008 Olympics it certaninly would hurt China's government. Even if 25% of the nations that are at this time going would say at the last moment "Forget it it's not worth it to go so stick it!" China would be hurting from that in more ways then one, that is a fact.

Too bad most or all of the nations going to the Olympics this year won't at the last moment tell China to "Shove it where the sun doesn't shine and die were not coming and there's nothing you can do about it". I would love that if it happened but it won't.

Randy
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
For an example of how effective that can be, look how badly we stuck it to the Russians back in '84... 7 years later their whole country arseploded... Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:16, Vandy Grift wrote:

Quote:

So what?

Of all people, with all the crying and moaning you do.

Lol, if you are going to be like that, look in a mirror sometime. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I say screw the Chinese and the Olympics.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:32, gaddy wrote:
For an example of how effective that can be, look how badly we stuck it to the Russians back in '84... 7 years later their whole country arseploded... Smile

Gaddy your a bit off there it was the 1980 Olympics. the 84 games were held in the U.S.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Despite my belief everyone should have a turn I will personally be boycotting the Beijing Olympics - I'm not going and I only watch the News and 24 on television.

(Is 24 still being made? - it's the highlight of my year when that comes on)

Destiny
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Just waiting for the corresponding FISM 2009 thread to start up ... or is there already one going?

(Day 28)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:57, balducci wrote:
Just waiting for the corresponding FISM 2009 thread to start up ... or is there already one going?

(Day 28)

Woah, Woah WOAH... Let's not go crazy with this whole boycott thing!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I believe the opening spectacular will feature William Robinson and David Bamberg, who, in a salute to traditional Chinese magic, will saw the Dalai Lama in half.

Destiny
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I didn't think this thread would grow so quickly. To really force a boycott now would be too late I think. The article I posted seems to disagree with me.
In 2007 when Pakistan and India were knocked out of the World cup Cricket the sponsors losts about 80% of their viewers and felt like their sponsorships were no longer worth it. Would make for an interesting conversation regarding this situation.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
That's an excellent point, abc.

If the US boycotted - it is unlikely many of her citizens would watch the games and the sponsorship dollars would be wasted.

Therefore it has to be assumed the media companies would exert their enormous influence to stop any boycott.

Destiny
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
While I feel very badly for the athletes the actions in Tibet are so outragous and show such disregard for the so called world community I think a boycott may be needed. The only problem is the Chinese govt will complain and lash back and be a general pain in the behind and will ignore their own fault in causing it and blame the US etc..

In honor of the ever so lovely Destiny I think they should move the Olympics to Australia again. I missed it the last time they were there so, dang it, give it another shot.

Oh, if anyone can give me a good reason why China needs to hold Tibet which is a country full of peace lovin' people (not to be confused with other people who claim to be peace loving while killin'). Free the freakin' place, let the Dali Lama and Richard Gehrer (?) move back and run things and leave 'em alone to bang gongs and wear orange robes and all that good stuff.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 01:22, MagicSanta wrote:
While I feel very badly for the athletes the actions in Tibet are so outragous and show such disregard for the so called world community I think a boycott may be needed. The only problem is the Chinese govt will complain and lash back and be a general pain in the behind and will ignore their own fault in causing it and blame the US etc..

In honor of the ever so lovely Destiny I think they should move the Olympics to Australia again. I missed it the last time they were there so, dang it, give it another shot.

Oh, if anyone can give me a good reason why China needs to hold Tibet which is a country full of peace lovin' people (not to be confused with other people who claim to be peace loving while killin'). Free the freakin' place, let the Dali Lama and Richard Gehrer (?) move back and run things and leave 'em alone to bang gongs and wear orange robes and all that good stuff.

must...resist...urge...to...compare...one...occupied...country...to...another...

Must...resist...
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 00:27, plasticdestiny wrote:
That's an excellent point, abc.

If the US boycotted - it is unlikely many of her citizens would watch the games and the sponsorship dollars would be wasted.

Therefore it has to be assumed the media companies would exert their enormous influence to stop any boycott.

Destiny

Well, there are 300 odd million people in the US. There are 1.1 billion people in India. There are 1.3 billion people in China. If you combine the populations of Japan and Pakistan that is half a billion. The US alone would not have the influence necesary to make it an international boycott. Most of the dollars spent on the Olympics has been paid over and the sponsors are not getting their money back so the sponsors would be sufferring while the Chinese government would only be annoyed.
The problem here lies in how the IOC conducted business. The same goes for WHO, UN, NATO etc. Regardless of what they tell us They are non-political organizations with political agendas. So the IOC telling us to not politicize sport is nonsense. They have done it and they will continue to do it. Hopefully next time round we will be more aware of it.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
In honor of the ever so lovely Destiny I think they should move the Olympics to Australia again

Hopefully by the time we get it again there's an old Aussie Queen as our head of state, instead of the current incumbent, a foreigner.

Destiny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It is getting closer. The Olympics (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL