The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Too much variety? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Miikka
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
160 Posts

Profile of Miikka
Hey,

Past weeks, I have become more and more interested in mixing hypnotism, pseudo-hypnotism and other non-mindreading-stuff in my performance.

I was wondering what are your thoughts about one being able to read minds, see without vision, hypnotize people, do inhuman memory demonstrations, calculate lightning fast in one's show. Is it, from audience point of view, just too much stuff for one people to be able to do, or do you think it will bring some exciting variety to your show?

I've been building my first mentalism show, and I'd like to do also some Georgia Magnet stunts, blindfold stuff and maybe some pseudo-hypnotism, but I've been trying to figure out, is it too much variety; in other words will it in your opinion confuse the spectators?

Waiting for your thoughts,

Miikka
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its a vast subject isn't it...

some say you should only display one main talent...

others say two or three...

others ignore it...

from what you say, to me at least, it seems like you're showing people what you can do if you train your brain and body with certain tasks...you could say you spent weeks blindfolded, 12 hours at a time, and you found not only that you could still pick up on something that let you "see", but your other senses were heightened too...

if you can find a way to link each demonstration together, as you tell your backstory, for want of a better word, then people would be interested...

however, if you jumped from one thing to the next, with no real story or link, then people could well be confused...and wonder "well, hang on...are these just tricks then?"

and I suppose it depends on what sort of performer you are too...that should be the thread that ties it all together obviously...

braintraining - memory feats, calculations, being able to read people's reactions before they are aware of it...then you could perform something simple, blindfolded so you can show that you're not looking at anything...

finish the effect, then say "y'know what, I spent so much time being blindfolded practising these skills, I noticed how much more elivated my other senses became...it was almost as I if I gained or created a sixth sense out my experimentation..."

then go onto your predictions if handled well...

barebones of course, and I'm sure plenty of people will advise you on disclaimers and other things too...take all that I said with a pinch of salt please, as I'm just thinking out loud!
I've asked to be banned
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
The curse of the three and a half ring circus of the mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Too much variety? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL