The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » 6 weeks old parakeet - tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hi. I brought home a hand-fed parakeet, just 6 weeks old. I already own Dave Womach's DVD for training, but I'd like you guys to tell me how to get my parakeet used to load chambers or harnesses and the like. Should I wait for it to be older, or is the sooner I start the better? Which steps should I take first? The parakeet is very tame and stays on my hand for ages, even though I don't think it likes it.
Thanks,
Gaia
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Start introducing it to small dark spaces SLOWLY. You want it to enjoy them, not fear them. This theory applies to macaws as well (incase you end up down that road soon too). It's never to early to start conditioning birds for noises, lights, moving objects, hiding spaces, etc. Hope this helps.

Dave
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
How do you recommend introducing them to dark spaces so it is fun?
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Put a nesting box in its cage.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Putting a nest box in the cage is not particularly a great idea, as it encourages breeding... which prevents them from bonding with you. If you have more than one pair in the cage, the third one commonly gets killed by one of the other birds.

It's best to get them used to dark places by training them to crawl into tubes, devils' hanks, etc. This can all be done with target training and millet.

Sorry Manal... not trying to call you out... I just would hate to see a bird get killed. Seen it happen.

Warmest Regards
Dave Womach
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Sorry,
I just assumed he only had 1 bird. I totally agree with your post.

I had a love bird that loved riding in my shirt pocket, even taking naps there. You might try allowing the bird to explore your shirt/ coat pockets.
How do you manage to get paired birds to bond with you? Must require a lot of handling.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Manal,

Thanks for understanding, I really wasn't trying to call you out. :o)

When you start working with new parakeets, you have to separate them. Once they are trained it is OK to put them back together. They have to first learn that you're the source of food and training and bonding... then they can have a friend.

I keep three parakeets in one cage, and only work them during shows. Depending on the show, it's not uncommon for them to have a month off before going back in again. Even though they hadn't been worked with during that month, they are able to do the show again (fly back bird, and the other walks itselve into a devil hank), and they do fine... only because they were put together AFTER they were trained.

Hope that might help whoever happens to read this.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » 6 weeks old parakeet - tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL