The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » You're a what now?.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Just wondering as to what are the funniest responses you guys have gotten when you told someone you are a mentalist or that you perform mentalism....

Here in Ireland people (rightly so) link the word mental with mad people... As in "Your mental lad",

So sometimes trying to explain "mentalism" to people they think your about to do either a crazy stunt.... Or go completely nuts mid show.

Anyone got any funny's here?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Lol, Finny, I just tell them I'm a body language expert Smile

Saves the hassle.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Good one Rupert... I actually stay away from any terms nowadays except the word magician.

I think that lay people just bunch it all into the one anyway. Plus if you really had "these powers" you wouldnt bunch your self into a group with other mentalists. I think using that term kinda cheapens what the effect of what we do (just my opinion, not looking to step on any toes here!).

I have an interview with Luke Jermay where he says that his business card just says Luke Jermay... I think that's a good idea although I dunno if he describes himself in some other way on his card?

Luke if your reading???
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I have the same thing. Mine just says Matt Colman. that's it, then my corporate card also has my website on.
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
My card says Daniel Nicholls, Better than you. It doesn't I'm just kidding. Although that's not a bad idea.... no wait.... yes it is.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
My card says mindreader, at least people have an idea of what that is.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Just don't think next to me...
~Max
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Hi Jerskin...

Just out of curiosity, when people see "mindreader" on your card, do they ask you straight away to read their minds? My perception on laymen is that they expect mindreading to be "I think of something and the magician some how picks it up".... They don't expect us to need them to write it down etc. And I feel they are a bit disappointed when that happens?

that's just my thoughts on it, and its the reason I don't put anything like that down on my card as I like to surprise them with it.

I know of an excellent magician who when he starts performing, says to the people he's performing for "Would you mind if I showed you a quick trick?... You've probably seen this one before it wont take long".... Then he does the most amazing magic that they've ever seen and now they are doubly surpised (I know doubly is not a word... or is it?) because they started out with such low expectations of what the magician could do.

Whats that Greg Wilson says?... Be so far ahead of the game that they don't even realise a games being played yet?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
They don't usually ask for or get a card until they've already seen me do something...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I never use the word mentalist unless speaking with other "mentalists". I hate the word and don't believe it has any real meaning to anyone that I meet.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
I'd tend to agree with you there Chichi....
Drakmor Kain
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Drakmor Kain
So far of the people who I've said "mentalist" to, the only person who hasn't needed an explanation was my barber (who actually had a couple effects of his own.)
David McCall
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of David McCall
Quote:
On 2008-04-01 17:48, Finny wrote:
Just wondering as to what are the funniest responses you guys have gotten when you told someone you are a mentalist or that you perform mentalism....

Here in Ireland people (rightly so) link the word mental with mad people... As in "Your mental lad",

So sometimes trying to explain "mentalism" to people they think your about to do either a crazy stunt.... Or go completely nuts mid show.

Anyone got any funny's here?

Actually, this is partly why I stopped using the word "magician" (even when I'm doing straight magic with no mentalism) - everyone would start telling me about their favorite MUSICIANS. And asking me if I taught piano.

That was a bit before I got more into mind reading stunts.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Dave... I get that one all the time. I'm getting paranoid its my accent or something!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » You're a what now?.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL