We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Coloured cards....??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi all

I have recently purchased a "Shadow Deck" which is nothing abnormal other than the cards are coloured black and have the grim reaper as the Joker. its a lovely deck, my question however is this......

Can using different coloured cards make an impact on a trick that is done the same way, just with a different deck??? or would it just be the same trick to a lay person regardless of which cards the magician uses???

Many thanks

Liam.
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Liam,

There are usually 2 schools of thought on this matter.

1. YES ~ The newer "cutting edge" cards can add impact to what is otherwise a standard effect, thereby pushing it up a notch. Making the effect a little more memorable and you as well.

2. NO ~ These newer cards while still of great quality scream that there is something different {trick deck} about that deck of cards, even if there isn’t.

I’d say try them out for a little why and see what your audience says. If you use them and hear people say after “well did you see the cards they had to be a trick deck or something” of the like then drop them. If people really like it then keep it in.

Hope this helps
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I agree with John - there are two schools of thought.

I have had people question my "black deck" saying "ohhh that's a trick deck".
I love the look of the newer style decks, but something about an old school traditional deck puts people at ease and helps contribute to them seeing the effect in a better way and carrying more impact.

When magic is done with normal recognizable items (normal bicycle deck) people seem to respond better.

as with anything in life - different is suspicious
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
This falls squarely into the "it depends" category. Whats the venue? Whats the effect? Whats your style?

One practical consideration-its harder to get a signature on the various black decks, imho the silver sharpies don't look good when writing on those cards.

I sometimes use a Black tiger deck, in more informal situations, I was surprised that no one questioned the deck, other than commenting on how nice the cards felt. On other occasions I've used regular Bicycles and people have been suspicious of the deck.

I use standard bicycles most of the time.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Thanks guys.

'JohntheMagician' and 'mmreed' I derfinatly agree that there are certainly 2 ways to look at it, and I suppose that you have to put that in to the "It depends" as 'jordanl' points out.

I generally work in a (I HATE this prase but can't describe it in another way) 'Higher Class' style with tailored clothes, expensive shoes, subtle traditional jewelery and so on.... So looking as unusual as they do would make them "magicians" cards in that respect, on the other hand they are sometimes looked at as a "Trick Deck" just because of how they look. Although I cant help but think that at certain times, this may only add to the effect, because apart from the 'suspission' they look otherwise normal and are handled as so. Again "it depends"!

To be honest I didn't think about having them signed and the implications there, and as I usually have all my chosen cards signed this is deffinatly worth consideration. Any more thoughts after this little essay of mine anyone??.......
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
jbk2006
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
230 Posts

Profile of jbk2006
Apples and oranges, quarters and halves....all the same issues...use what you think is cool, unique and workable...that is what will make your magic unique.

jbk
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Well, I will say that colored cards are very popular. My online store http://www.magicvault.net has been selling a ton of them.

They do add some flash... and the ones we sell are the popular bicycle style, so while even though colored, they do seem familiar to people.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I like using a regular deck, but them I'm an amateur and when I do a 'trick' my friends are always immediately suspicious of gimmicks, anyway. That and my limited manual dexterity are a couple of the main reasons why I like self-working tricks without any gimmicked cards.

But once in awhile I like to change it up by using a SINGLE different card for the reveal. It's fun to show them that the card they chose is the only one in the deck with a bright green back, for example. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Coloured cards....??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL