The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business Models (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I've been wondering lately if there are any models for making a living as a magician that I am not aware of. The most obvious one is the home based small business. Completely DIY.

There's also the agent/manager model where an agent does ALL your promotion and booking work, and you just handle the artistic side. Although I wonder how much this is in use anymore.

There are a few where the magician is the employee. Maybe of Disney, maybe of Copperfield.

Are there any others that I haven't mentioned? I'm really hoping there is some great secret business model that will work perfectly for me, but suspect there isn't. Thought I should check though, just in case.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Howzabout the one where the magician is also the agent, either booking private parties or (really a whole different model) designing or selling pre-made show packages to theme parks or other concerns that want a magic show without having to put it together themselves?

How about the one where the magician is a spokesman for a store or brand, making appearances (sometimes nationwide) to extol the virtues of "The Magic of the New Yummy-Gummy Candy Bar" or "The Magic of [fill in the blank]"?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Haven't seen it with magicians, but I have seen a loosely knit group of professions that form a coop of sorts. They refer jobs to each other as they act as agents for themselves, and in effect become agents for the entire group.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I have seen all of the above. Especially in these times, we magicians need all the help we can get.

I work for several Party Planners, Agents, a loosely knit group of professionals (both magicians and other business groups), my own marketing, etc.

Ideally it would be nice to have one manager and one agent to take care of the business side, and just take care of the artistic side. That would be just fine with me. But the way things are in the real world, I will continue to get the gigs from any source I can.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I hadn't thought of the co-op model.

A lot of the models still really require the performer to do most of the business negotiation. As Harry pointed out that seems to be "the way things are in the real world". Pity really, because I suck at the business side. Not for want of trying mind you. (or research, education, reading etc)
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business Models (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL