The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Predict-Abilities by Mick Ayres (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Just wanted to say what a great product this is. If you love mentalism with cards, this will be a treasure for you. Reality Phone Experience alone is worth the price of this manuscript. Mick has also taken the time to converse with me about this product "many times". You don't get many people in this buisness that will help you AFTER you buy their product. I have tried asking people here on the Café for help after purchasing their products, only to be ignored. This was NOT the case with Mick.

Great product! Thank you Mick.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
If you like Predict-Abilities, you must get Mick's Hoodwinkings. It's another whole act. A bunch of us are patiently awaiting the third book in the series.
beds
View Profile
Regular user
isle of wight uk
192 Posts

Profile of beds
Were are these avaliable from?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
His web site is http://www.cardworker.com/Products.html
but I don't see either listed.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I think you have to paypal mick directly...don't know the email...I'm sure someone will be helpful, or else do a search.

Nathan
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
He's a member here. Just PM him. He's very helpful and a great thinker Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Let me second, third, fourth, whatever that...

Both Predictabilities and Hoodwinkings are brilliant- and a steal at the price he sells them for...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Me three!

I really like each of this works. Really great worker material!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Four! And looking forward to his next book which he is already working on.

Mark.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Mick is great! And so are his books.

He's a super nice guy and he is VERY funny and entertaning.

These books allow you to walk into a room or onto a stage with little more than a deck of cards and place the audience in the palm of your hand.

There are no difficult sleights, as Mick puts a lot of work into presentation. Mick does more shows in a year with Disney than most performers will do in a lifetime, and that means this work is heavily "road tested" and polished to be as shiny as Snow White's apple.

On top of all this, the price is insane. For what a lot of people these days charge for one trick, you get 40 minutes of material that could take you around the world.

His contact info is at the site listed above.

Mick, number three whenever you are ready!

DT3
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of magicman812
I looked on his website and did not see either of these for sale. Anyone know where or how to purchase these books?

Thanks,
Andy
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Andy. Email Mick at the address on the site or PM him here. The weekends are busy at Hilton Head but I am sure he will get back to you soon.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...just send him an email. Put what you need in the subject line. He'll get back to you, but it might take a couple of days given his work load.

mick@cardworker.com

Mark.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Hi guys,

Thank you for your warm and fuzzy comments about my work.

I do not have a website specifically set up for my books yet. I suppose they will remain as "underground publications" until I accomplish that. Smile

I currently have three books available as downloads:

HOODWINKINGS (Book One in the Act-series)
PREDICT-ABILITIES (Book Two in the Act-series)
BAMBOOZLINGS (A Collection of Mentalism & Magic)

These books are $20 each and can be obtained by logging onto Paypal and applying the appropriate monies to my account: mick@cardworker.com. Once Paypal notifies me of your transaction, I will sent the material for you to download immediately via email.

A search of the book title names here on the Café allows you to read several unsolicited reviews to determine if these publications would fit your own performance needs.

Thanks again for the kind, encouraging (and humbling) words, fellas!
I'm plugging away at Book Three as much as I can!

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd like to hear a little more about the Disney gig. Did you say your new mentalism show was to begin after April? And will there be a book about the Biz end of mentalism?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
1. Can someone describe briefly Mick's BAMBOOZLINGS

2. Is it Predictablities that contains the body language routine?

Thanks
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Slim,

The show is scheduled to begin at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort before the end of April 2008. I just put the finishing touches on the script and am currently engaged in daily rehearsals.

I'm excited about this because in the past I was required to insert my mentalism effects into previously scheduled "magic show" slots. However, the guests were delighted with this and their comments and letters pleased the powers-that-be at Disney.

As a result, I was able to take those favorable guest-comments and pitch the concept of a full-mentalism event that will be promoted as such by Disney to their guests and DVC clubmembers that vacation here.

The character-role I play for Disney is that of an island-codger named B'lou (pronounced "blue") who looks like he just stepped off a creek boat after a day of fishin'. In addition to performing with a fiddle and other sea-island instruments, I share a lot of bald-face lies in the form of tall tales. The creel basket on my shoulder and the pockets of my fishing vest are filled with varied mysteries.

The Disney folks tell me the title of the new show will be "The Mental World of B'lou". Currently, the show will consist of material pulled from HOODWINKINGS, PREDICT-ABILITIES, BAMBOOZLINGS and some unpublished effects that will be offered in 'Book Three in the Act-series' (as soon as I can get it finished)!

Bottom line: the biggest thrill has simply been to learn that an organization such as Disney thinks enough of me to allow me this opportunity.

Hope this appeases your curiosity, my friend.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
John,

The body-language effect can be found in HOODWINKINGS and is called "Ways & Means".

About BAMBOOZLINGS...the best I can do is have you read Chet Cox's unexpected review that he posted on the Mentalist's Sanctum forum some time ago:

- - - - - - - - - -

MICK'S "BAMBOOZLINGS":

I had a delightful half hour reading Mick Ayres' Bamboozlings, his latest collection of things which won't save you any money on car insurance. I am sure that I've read some of it before, either on his blog or perhaps in the Sanctum; and it's nice to have it in a more permanent version. As much as I liked the effects (especially his version of "Do As I Do," which deals with the interplay that is so essential with an audience member!) I was even more enthralled by his updates of several chestnuts to make them feature magicians.

Oh dear -- now you're expecting me to tell you what really IS in this booklet, aren't you?

"..THE DEVIL HISSELF!" demonstrates a method where any of us can upstage a performer, as long as we're two years old and haven't any inhibitions at all. This is a story of What Happened to Mick and how there was nothing he could've done about it. It's good for about 7.3 laughs, at least one of which will be a belly-laugh.

CUT POKER II enables you and a spectator to cut yourselves each a hand of poker, sight unseen sort of. Yours will, naturally, be a royal flush.

ELEMENTAL isn't, of itself, funny. The presentation certainly can be. The spectator finds a card, loses the card, then spells to the card, using F-I-R-E, E-A-R-T-H, and -- you can see where this is going? If I had to pick one effect to not do, it might be this one. Then again, it might not.

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE takes "Before Your Eyes" (Any Santumite knows that reference.) and adapts it to ink and a number of different types of audiences -- including a spoof of a Kentonism-type effect. Why, there's even a version just for performing in front of magicians! Married magicians should change the patter somewhat. That's all I'll say.

ENGEL'S 'DO AS I DO' is Mick's take on George Engel's classic. The presentation and script, as Mick says, is all his. And it is -- so you might want to change some of the actual dialogue to be all yours. It's funny, it's refreshing, it's easy, and it's fun for the spectator and for you. And it comes with a number of one-two-three climaxes.

The SLIPSTREAM MANEUVER is not an effect; it's a sleight. Mick says you'll have to do the Longitudinal Palm for a brief instant as you perform this sleight. It's to replace a slip cut as an invisible alternative.

And since he gives us a new sleight, he gives us an effect to take advantage of it. With DOWNSIDE, the Dai Vernon fan cuts the deck a couple of times, trying valiantly to find the spectator's card. "That ain't it," the disagreeable, whiney spectator says. So you visibly turn the card around 180 degrees and change it into their card. So there! That'll show 'em!

BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES uses the everyday invisible die (singular of "dice") to count to a selected card -- which may even be signed if you so desire. This uses ol' Slipstream too.

And CRANK CALL -- last and certainly not least -- combines "the Wizard" with those mean little crank calls you used to do when you were a kid, and you occasionally got the really cranky old geezer or geezerette. The cranky person knows the card which your victim chose and is really tired of you bothering her. This will astound and set off nervous laughter at the same time. Y'know, audiences never really tire of "the Wizard," do they? This version is different enough and funny enough to almost classify it as a new effect altogether.

Throughout the manuscript, Mick interposes "A Magician Turns Into a Bar" (which would be a neat trick itself!). These are some old chestnut-type jokes which have had the protagonist made into a magician. They sort of promulgate (What a big word, Chester!) the cliche of the magician-as-loser, so we assume they're based on the OTHER magician. And they're funny. As a matter of fact, they're my favorite pieces of the book! There's one about the dog which sort of whistles -- I won't repeat it, because you might be having chocolate bread pudding (as I was when I read it) and I couldn't do that to you.

I can see where the SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE routines can play anywhere, and the other routines are similarly adaptable (though perhaps not as readily). This manuscript is available from Mick at the retail price of $750.

*jeep!
--Gran'pa Chet Cox

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

John, Chet was just kidding about that price. It's been discounted to a mere $20 bucks just for you. Smile

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mick
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Mick ... That's exactly what I was thinking!!!! It's pretty fantastic when these big entertainment companies get it right !
Sounds almost too good to be true, but I'm sure it will be AWESOME Smile
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Slim,

Thanks a mil' for the encouragement.

By the way, I used to think that I did a lot of shows every year...but I just had coffee with Jim a few days ago and he shared YOUR annual schedule with me. You gotta be well over 1,500. I know this is off-topic, but have you ever added 'em up?

You know, one day you're gonna have to break away and head up to the Carolina sea-islands for a visit. It's only a 4-hour drive, plus Jim lives nearby. It'd be a heck of a session.

Best,
Mick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Predict-Abilities by Mick Ayres (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL