The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chop Cup No Jacket No Poach 1 Spectator (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
I would like to get some ideas from Café members on doing a chop cup routine with final loads Lemon, Orange etc without wearing a suit coat. 1 spectator from audience standing beside you. Maybe using spectator to cover loads etc.
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
I had sewn a pouch that has buttons on it to attach to my table. It has many pockets more than enough to hold a lemon or an oarnge. If you are good at sewing than you can give that a try. I used an all weather material that I got from wal-mart. If not than go talk to your local taylor.
andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
I would like to do the routine without a table using the spectators hand to hold the cup or possibly they could hold a small tray or something.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Cellini does cups and balls from his pockets (three lemons) get his Art of Street Performing #2. I do chop cup with two final loads out of the pockets but I suck so get the DVD.
andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
I have cellini,s dvds there great. but I am trying to get some idea,s that could use the spectator to cover the loads maybe even provide the loads without knowing it. Maybe you put a costumecoat on him like Instant magician with oads in those pockets. The plot thickens.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Do a watch steal and make it your final load, a little pick-pocketing will get you a long way... if you're good at it, that is. Although you did put this in the busking section, so maybe not for this type of setting, but certainly if you're hired to do something somewhere.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I'm not sure that having the participant be the hold out is practical. If I were you I'd look toward Scott York's X Rated cups and balls routine or Al Schneider's LA street cups routine. Yes, they're c&b routines but I think they will provide a lot of inspiration for what you're trying to do.

On a side note, when using the participants hand as a table for chop cup, place a handkerchief over their hand. It helps mask weight of the loads on their palms.
What would Wavy do?
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Pat page dose it a chop cup rotuine with a spectater holding a plate as a performace area.

I have played about with a signed card trick as a intro then do chop cup or cups and balls and either at the end or near the end the fold card appers under the cup.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
Mark I was thinking along the same line with regards to the spectators hand being covered with black silk pocket square. Maybe use 2" red sponge balls for nice contrast and because of the pocket square they wouldnt feel the sponge ball. Maybe you could use the silk to provide shade for the loads. Let me Know what you guys think. Come on guys and girls lets think outside the box.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's your routine. YOU think outside the box. Smile

You are, however, getting closer to a routine that was already published in genii a few years ago. Hint: The issue has Derren Romeo on the cover.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What the H happened to my message posted in this thread about using a Catcher's Mitt and baseballs??? ARgh..............
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't know but it sounds interesting.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
Pete it sounds like that could be a great idea for someone who works a spot outside the ballparks. With the right blend of costume I.E. Baseball uniform of your hometown ball club it could be a real hit. Not sure if you can busk outside the ballparks but that would be a great spot for it. What may I ask was your idea with the catchers mitt and baseballs. Was it to have the spectator hold the catchers mitt and you would do a chop cup routine on top of the mitt finishing with baseballs as final loads?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You got it... Mitt is portable table. Lots of possibilities. Can use kid size one, small baseballs ala Mike Rogers and f loads big real ones. You could start out wearing it and make steals from inside as you take hand out. Just think outside the batter's box... Smile

You could have a gaffe inside the mitt that you can move, steal out?

Use toy bat for wand. Change baseball hat for???? Don't need to be at a ballpark can do anywhere.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
Thank you for your help guys.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Awesome idea Pete!! Thanks!!

Charlie
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Why not do a Benson Bowl type effect with a single cup? Use 2 sponge balls. Easier to see and end with your lemon. I used to love the chop cup, but found a benson bowl effect easier and more versatile. To the audience the effect is about the same. You can also make a ball jump under the cup or into their hand. Still ending with a lemon.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I did a chop cup at Cavalier Dayes of Texas in 1994 and 1995, when I debuted my Hocus Pocus character. For several weekends, I performed the chop cup exactly as described here, right on the spectator's hands. It worked very well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5380 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I have done a chop cup routine on the streets for years ....if you're loading from your pockets make sure its the cup goes to pocket and NOT the load goes to cup

kozmo
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Re Mitt is the table..

How about using it as the cup???
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chop Cup No Jacket No Poach 1 Spectator (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL