The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » What magic can you perform on Radio? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin John
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Martin John
Hi everyone!

I have an interview on tuesday morning with a local radio station. I want to perform an effect where everybody can try it at home whilst I am explaining it on the radio, for example a card effect. Does anyone know any effects like this or something similar that the audience can join in with? A mentalism effect would be equally as good, I was thinking about doing the big grey elephant from denmark mentalism routine however I don't want to perform something that they average Joe has heard before from their Granddad!

Any ideas much appreciated,

Martin
Magician Martin John
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You need to contact Slim King, he has some good radio mentalism stuff.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
A headline prediction works on radio. You could have mailed the station a sealed envelope with a written or taped prediction.

Might be too late for Tuesday.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
gfdiamond
View Profile
Regular user
sweden
198 Posts

Profile of gfdiamond
Hi,

do a signed card dl behind the back with the presenter describing what is happening. that awlays goes down well.

or you can do an upside down queen of diamonds prediction...

people like card tricks being described on the radio surprisingly.

regards,

geoff.
Check me out on Google. Geoff Diamond Magician.
Martin John
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Martin John
Ok great, thanks for the ideas guys!! Much appreciated!
Magician Martin John
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
I heard Chris Angel recently on a radio spot and he did a mentalist effect where he names a list of words, had someone choose, and then revealed a prediction that was associated with the chosen word. . It was pretty clever, and I don't know who's that is originally, but as Photius said. . mentalism works better on the radio then a visual trick (for obvious reasons).

Maybe though. . if it is a card trick. . a telephone card trick (there are MANY in print). . that has the potential to go over well.
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Here's two I've done before that went well.

I had 3 different callers create a card. Color, suit, number or face. Then with my handy-dandy "Invisible Deck" setting between me and the dj's, I revealed the chosen card. The other was one that takes more audience managment but is good. David Copperfield did a clock trick that goes well with radio. Check it out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=iPFm59zMQ_4

Rappel
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I did seven minutes once that finished with a guillotine, the volunteer being the "Mayor of Detroit" (actually one of the DJ's doing a character voice).

The audio of the blade coming down was great. The DJ held a long pause and said, "We'll be right back after these commercials." Then as the first spot's music came up, you could hear him say, "Get a towel and call 911."

The switchboard went nuts.

When we came back, the DJ said, Darn... it worked. Hizzoner was taken out of the stocks and said he was OK.

While I actually did the efffect, You don't need the prop, just the sound effect and a willing DJ as victim. It's the wonder of radio.

Good luck.

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
There can alsways be Gray Elephants From Denmark running around the radio station.......
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
Ive heard invisible deck before and it kills good suggestion plus you could use it with a random caller and the studio guys can confirm with their gasps that it is the selection plus I once saw a british magician do this and a pick an envelope routine with not one this time written on a piece of paper and the one envelope they did not pick had a check written for the amount that reflects the radio station number i.e. 104.2 etc you catch my drift nice touch too. or how about a prediction with a nw such as hello caller how much money have you got on you to the last penny and then your prediction matches

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 09:39, Magic Enhancer wrote:
There can alsways be Gray Elephants From Denmark running around the radio station.......

It helps to read the original post:

Quote:
On 2008-04-06 12:53, Martin John wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have an interview on tuesday morning with a local radio station. I want to perform an effect where everybody can try it at home whilst I am explaining it on the radio, for example a card effect. Does anyone know any effects like this or something similar that the audience can join in with? A mentalism effect would be equally as good,

I was thinking about doing the big grey elephant from denmark mentalism routine however I don't want to perform something that they average Joe has heard before from their Granddad!

Any ideas much appreciated,

Martin
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17481 Posts

Profile of Slim King
How did it go?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mystic_master
View Profile
New user
Baltimore Md
10 Posts

Profile of Mystic_master
I almost don't event want to post this this book is THAT good, impuzzabilitys from Jim Steinmyer. This book has great effects for television and radio.

Banacheck''s radio magic book is also a great choice
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
At some time, I ran across this link:

http://www.magicinspirations.net/radiomagic.htm

It seems like a handy CD set to own.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I've had a radio interview recently where I was caught unaware... the radio station called and asked if I was free for the next 5 mins and if I could do an interview. It was so sudden I did not know what I could do... so I fell on my trustee math magic effects. think of a number, add 4 minus 3 plus 10 and viola! I tell you wat ur thinking of! It worked very well actually. You could try it too
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
The last time I got to grace a radio station, I did the world's heaviest deck of cards and rising card.

The key to radio is, as has been said many times, something that the DJ(s) can describe easily over the air.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » What magic can you perform on Radio? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL