The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner internet resources? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
Hello, I personally am not new to magic, but I was wondering if any of you know of internet resources for a beginner.

I know books have valuable information, but the public library system is pretty limited. I wanted to know if there were any good sites with terminology, discussion on sleights, or card manipulation for a beginner? Most of the stuff out there is for those of us with more intermediate skills and background knowledge of magic.

Please recommend a "first stop" for a beginner magician. If there isn't one, I plan on building my own.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Hello nocashvalue23

Please try the following links, they may help you in certain ways:

Ultimate magic

The learned pig

Hope that helps.

Hirase Smile
In love with magic!
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Try this card site...Card Trick Central - http://web.superb.net/cardtric/ Smile
Jonatan Bank
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
At the risk of sounding totally self-serving, I'd recommend the very site you're on right now.

While we don't serve up manuscripts, or tell the new magician how to do this-or-that trick, we do offer insights on performing, reviews on which effects carry the most real-world bang for the buck, and a lot of excellent information that will benefit the newbie far more in the long run.

The other sites listed above, but for my money, I'd put the Café above them.

My .02; YMMV.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
If there isn't one, I plan on building my own.

Please...Don't.
Plenty of magic sites can be found on the web. Many of them dispersing information which is not theirs to give or describing third hand information badly.

Hirasemagic gave a couple of good links above, and as Steve also said, this site can be a valuable recourse if used correctly.

Those who generally want everything given to them on a plate with no effort attached, usually haven't the mind set to put time into studying magic as it should be studied.
The more you put into magic, the more you get out.

Paul.
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
Paul, as light hearted as your message is, you have no idea from the brief message I wrote to decide wether my site would be beneficial or detrimental to magic. If you are one of the people who think magic should be this closely guarded secret and only members of an "elite club" are allowed to learn valuable information in this unique art, you are behind the times.

While I never advocated the revelation of secrets, I don't think showing someone how to improve a double lift, or provide terminology of magic terms will really cause a ripple in the magic pool. I doubt someone would take the time to find my site (mind you, I still haven't even created it yet!) so they could learn the INCREDIBLE SECRET of showing two cards as one just to ruin a trick.

If you think sharing information is a problem then I would no longer visit this forum. Thank you to the others who gave me valuable thoughts and resources just like I asked in my original post.
stony003
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of stony003
Ellusionist.com
magic.about.com
Cave Canem
"Careful attention to one thing often proves superior to genius." - Cicero
JasonG
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
17 Posts

Profile of JasonG
This site is a fantastic resource.

There are a few other magic boards similar but I don't think it would be ethical to advertise them here... email me if you're interested.

Also,

http://www.streetmagic.org

...has the lowest prices on the internet for Magic w/Free Shipping.
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
Yes! I agree. The magic Café is the best magic site ever. You can probably learn the most from this site. Smile
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I would recommend you take a visit to http://www.magictimes.com
Though this site doesn't teach any tricks, it does give you imformation about what is happening in the world of magic. It also gives a TV magic guide that is updated weekly. Magic Times is an online magic newspaper that is updated daily. It is one of the sites I visit regularly.

You'll also probably want to find yourself a good online magic shop. I would recommend http://www.dennymagic.com
They've always had good service and a wide variety of material.

I have to say that I agree with what has been said above; as far as the Internet goes, you'll probably learn the most from the experienced magicians here at the Café.

Hope my words were of help!

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
I will give my testimony.

I came here lost. But now I am found. You would be suprised to find that I have learned so much from this site that is unbelievable. I don't know how I first found it, but I do know that this site is the best. It's amazing, even when you watch a magic program and you can actually figure out a way to do it. Smile Smile Smile

Just my 2 cents...
Daniel
Jack Of Hearts!
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
I just wanted to let you guys know that I finally created my own website for fun. It is just in the beginning stages with only a few beginner resources, and a pretty popular forum. However, look for more vids in the near future along with a chat room feature.

Check it out: http://www.madhattermagic.com
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
It looks great, but maybe you should "lock" it with 3-4 questions that are "easy" to find on the net. People who are really interested will make the search (like 30 min - 1h depending on their searching skills), and others who just want to see how the tricks are done will stay away. I know you are not revealing complete tricks, but some basic techniques.. Anyway, just my opinion. Smile
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
nocash: I do not speak for Paul or pretend to know any of his thoughts but I believe that he was refering to the fact that many sites give away effects without consulting their creator or show the wrong way to do an effect spreading this bad knowledge down to the next generation.

From what I can see all the sleights on your page are old and in the "public domain" of magic so there is no problem in that respect. There are many sites that show how to do copyrighted effects, I believe this is Pauls concern.
As for doing the sleights correctly so as to not spread bad info, I don't have time to view all of your content but I will assume you took the time to learn the material.

One important thing to note and the primary reason that I am usually against the creation of sites like yours is that showing the beginner how to do sleights is not important if you do it without showing how to misdirect or perform. There are people who will go to your site and learn how to control a card. They will assume that they are now ready to perform and will go out and screw up an effect because they don't know the psychology and acting behind performing.

As the others have advised please give your page some sort of protection. It does not have to be complicated just the name of a sleight or famous magician. If you need any help in doing this please pm me, I am a web designer part time.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I have to agree with those who recommend some degree of access restriction. A quiz or password can be the difference between an informational site for those interested in learning to perform magic and an exposure site.
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
How can it be an exposure sight when all I do is show a demonstration of the effect?! Have you even looked at the site? You guys are so uptight about keeping the secrets of magic, you don't want to help those with an interest in learning the basics. The only thing I remotely show how to do right now is a ribbon spread and a thumb fan. No big magic secrets exposed. My purpose of the site is for those who may not have access to a vast magic library and may wonder what the mechanics grip is when reading posts or trick instructions. Until I have something to expose on my site, it will remain free to the public.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
You are revealing how to do forces not just thumb fans, and your riffle force is not exactly a riffle force, it is more of a backslip

If those who don't have access to a vast magic library are your target audience then why not give it some protection that could easily be bypassed by people with basic magic knowledge? The stuff they would learn without having to have a big library
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Personally, I find it kind of funny that 42% of people who voted on your poll said the David Blaine was the most influential magician. Compare that to only 4% saying that Dai Vernon was (two of the 5 votes being mine).
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
nocashvalue, I like your site. I can see that you put lots of effort on it. Quote from you: "You guys are so uptight about keeping the secrets of magic, you don't want to help those with an interest in learning the basics." I agree with you on this. What you are showing on your site are just the basics. No big secrets... I don't think anyone will bother spending time learning those if he's not interested in magic. If we expose absolutely nothing to the public, how can magic be passed on to the next generation? I love magic, and I buy lots of books, videos, and tricks to learn. I started out visiting some internet sites that teach free tricks and sleights. That's what got me into magic. I do not think there's a problem with Mad Hatter Magic. Just my thought.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner internet resources? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL