The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

beds
View Profile
Regular user
isle of wight uk
192 Posts

Profile of beds
Recently at work a colleagued died

my work place wants to do a fund raiser for the charity that supports others with the same conditions

they have asked me for a 30min magic show, now I could do a magic show but I want to do mentalism which there fine with.

now the only routines I have 100% would be mental epic and the scorpion.
I'm creating my own version of graffiti although wont be the same.

what other things could I put in and how long should a trick last?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Personally, I would say stick with the magic show if you are more comfortable with the workings of it all and have more experience and practice with it mate...

otherwise you wouldnt have enough time to rehearse and put together anything that you'll be comfortable with I wouldnt of thought...

or see what you could adapt from straight magic into some mentally flavoured magic instead?
I've asked to be banned
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Be good but be careful.

With great power comes great responsibility.

You have the ability to be either

(a) an big knob

or

(b) the one that could make people so happy and so comfortable and so enlightened that they would be happy to exist in the sad but powerful place where they do.

PM me if you want more info on my take from this.

I don't think you need it though, beds.

You are a strong and powerful performer. Follow your heart.

Sorry for being so esoteric, but it would be an injustice to do anything else.

Flow.

DT3
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2329 Posts

Profile of todsky
I agree with abraxas to do what you know well. Bringing in a new effect that isn't well-practiced will likely detract from your presentation.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
I say go for it. Ditch the magic act once and for all. That will definitely make you look like a knob. Be The Mentalist. Don't look back and pack your parachute.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
My only fear is that you may be too nervous, and potentially mess up, or let the experience put you off mentalism...

but good luck in whatever you do...
I've asked to be banned
beds
View Profile
Regular user
isle of wight uk
192 Posts

Profile of beds
Well I do close up magic so even that would be a lot of planning as its on a bigger scale and I want to show my workies effects they havn't seen

this isn't going to be for a few months not like its next week so I will have time to choose my 30 minute act and practise, I think id do 2 or 3 practise shows to a few before even considering it.

and as strange as dons post is I know I'm capable of doing this with the support of my fellow Café buddies

just need a few tips on routining, openers, closers etc and how many effects can you do in 30 minutes I'm thinking 4 or 5 ?
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Look you do close up magic. You have already nailed the best part of three strong bits of mentalism. When your Osterlind material arrives from Taiwan you will have tons of tips, not just effects but ideas for patter and a lifetime of material. You have all you need and as a magician I am sure you have let your nerves drive you on.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Your show should last 30 mins because that's what they asked for?

Tossed out deck

A drawing dupe

and a Q&A finish

They aren't tricks though they are better thought of as presentations. I think if you have enough time you could "get by" with these if you started now. Don't know how much time you have though.

Another alternative is to do a couple of magic routines and a couple of mentalism routines. This way you get to test a couple of mental effects while being comfortable with the magic.

See it as a testing ground and part of your development. I don't agree though you will look like a knob if you do magic. I have seen mentalists who look like knobs. I have also seen very entertaining magicians.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12100 Posts

Profile of John C
No one knows what you already know ... so show them that.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1134 Posts

Profile of magicusb
If they have not seen it, try to mostly rely on what you know best!

Dick Brooks
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
If you've never done a mentalism act, and you're booked to do one in a couple of months, I'm going to stick my neck out and tell you that the Annemann Act is your best bet. For a lot of reasons.

You'll learn multiple effects that are powerful and stand alone beautifully. You'll learn how to structure a very strong presentation beginning to end. And, best of all for YOU... it's about 35 minutes long.

I'm biased. But so are a lot of converts now doing the act. It's been very, very, very good to me over the years.

SC
Stuart Cumberland
beds
View Profile
Regular user
isle of wight uk
192 Posts

Profile of beds
Its not all confirmed but they want to do something in 2 months time, in the summer and they said would I mind doing a 30 minute show so said I'd thinking about it, will check out anneman and also waiting on my osterlind material so sure I'll be fine and confidence isn't a worry for me doing this I'll be fine in that part
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL