The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Helder Guimaraes releases card Magic DVD! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Is this trick explained on the DVD ?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O7XDS00eTkw

Thanks for your anwser!!
Ben
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
818 Posts

Profile of magico
No, it is not.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thanks for your answer magico!

Pity then, that seems quite good... So it's not a combination of the sandwich routine and the transposition...?

Anybody knows if this routine is somewhere available?
Ben
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
After watching it several times, I think I figured it out...
Who invented this? Helder? Is it available somewhere?
Ben
chunk08
View Profile
New user
san diego/ torrance
51 Posts

Profile of chunk08
Really good dvd!
helder is awesome
jomaguy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of jomaguy
Quote:
On 2008-05-10 18:32, goldeneye007 wrote:
Hi everyone!

[...] But am I wrong to say that the routines he does on the DVD are barely new (ok.. ok.. maybe he uses a TC instead of a DL... Smile )[...]?

[...]

I don't own the DVD, but from the trailer I saw, that's the sentiment I got. What do you think?

I think you are jumping at conclusions. I would never assume there are only minor changes in a method if I only watch the trailer of a DVD.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
What I meant actually was that the overall effects, except for one or maybe two - are not new at all (compared to effects from the French magician D. Duvivier for example when he releases a new DVD) and the routines do not seem to be very sophisticated for someone who has won the FISM and who can do far better than that.

Imo, when a magician releases a DVD, it's because he has ROUTINES to share; if it's about methods, he may rather release a book or lecture notes...

But again, Helder IS a good, very good cardman, I'm just a little disappointed he hasn't released more, that's all...
Ben
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have this DVD. I know he has friends on the Café, so please don't go off on me. He's a talented guy, no doubt about that. But I didn't get very excited about the material, or the presentations.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I have only seen the trailer, but I think I would have felt like you Christopher if I had seen the whole DVD.
Ben
jomaguy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of jomaguy
Quote:
On 2008-05-21 17:05, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I have this DVD. [...] But I didn't get very excited about the material, or the presentations.

When someone watches a DVD and states his opinion, I can agree or disagree, but, in any case, I respect. It's not the case when someone states such an opinion after watching the trailer...
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
So jomaguy, what are trailers made for? I'd love to hear your THOUGHTS about that. Are they not shot ONLY to give people an IDEA of the material in the DVD so that others can make themselves an OPINION? Why should people bother to shoot a trailer then???

Please re-read my posts: I said that after watching the trailer "that's the SENTIMENT I got" and that "I THINK I would have felt like Christopher if I had seen the whole DVD". Furthermore a DVD also provides a list of the effects which are described or in any case you can find an OBJECTIVE description on the net. I just said that MY OPINION was that the effects were surely ok, but not REALLY new, ESPECIALLY for someone like Helder, who is, and I'm convinced about that, an excellent magician.

This is an open forum where people share their IDEAS and FEELINGS about different materials (that's what a forum is made for, no?). This is what I did in all humility, giving my feelings about what I saw and asking other people for their opinion and advice, especially those who have seen the whole DVD. Having only seen the trailer, I never said something like: "This DVD is crap, Helder is a bad magician, the material is worthless", not in this thread, nor in another one. I just expressed what I felt about WHAT I SAW, and clearly stated it.

If you have a problem with that and do not respect people who SHARE OPINIONS, then I would suggest you go to a different forum.
Ben
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
As a far as trailers go, they can be misleading. Yes, it's the responsibility of the company to put one up that makes you want to get the dvd. But, I've seen horrible trailers and the DVD's were some of the best. Go figure.

goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thanks for your input Christopher.

That's exactly why, considering the feelings I had regarding the trailer, I needed the opinion of people who had seen the whole DVD.
Ben
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
And I should add...I've seen people go off on DVD's they hated and they had excecllent reasons for it. Then I saw the DVD and found a gem that made it into my working set. Chris Randell's ( spelling? ) SWEET DVD for instance. Hated by most, I still have it. There are some fine items on it.

We all have limited funds and have different tastes and can't get everything that comes out, so the Café is a great place to help decide.

goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Exactly...! Smile
Ben
jomaguy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of jomaguy
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 05:05, goldeneye007 wrote:
If you have a problem with that and do not respect people who SHARE OPINIONS, then I would suggest you go to a different forum.

goldeneye007, you misundertood my words. I NEVER said I do not respect people. In order you can understand the real meaning of my post, I'll repeat it putting inside square brackets the words that I had in my mind when I wrote that post.

When someone watches a DVD and states his opinion, I can agree or disagree [with that opinion], but, in any case, I respect [that opinion]. It's not the case [= I don't respect that opinion] when someone states such an opinion after watching the trailer...
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 04:36, jomaguy wrote:
When someone watches a DVD and states his opinion, I can agree or disagree, but, in any case, I respect. It's not the case when someone states such an opinion after watching the trailer...

Well... You must admit that it COULD have been understood differently... "I respect" COULD have referred to "someone"... Anyway, at the light of your precision your post does seem less offending.

But I still maintain the beginning of my post you quoted: trailers are made to give people an idea of what the DVD contains, even if, as Christopher pointed it out, the trailer can be misleading, which is often the case... I shared my thoughts about what I saw so that other people, who have seen the whole DVD, can tell me if my feelings are right or wrong. And again, sharing opinions is one of the main goals of this forum, I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't know here...

If my feelings towards the DVD, based on the trailer I have seen, are false, then I'd rather not be insulted and I'm waiting for other people's opinions and arguments exactly to tell me if I'm right or wrong; I'm saying that in general, I understood your post know, even if I disagree, because my opinion was "open" and I made it clear from the beginning that my opinion was based on the trailer: I would rather talk about "feelings" in fact, so actually the question of respect is not really relevant here: if you watch a trailer, then you make yourself a first opinion of what the DVD contains (something like: "Wow, this DVD must be great" or "bah, this DVD doesn't really look worth it"), that you want it or not, it's just like that. And you may be wrong of course, but again, it's just like that and it's the aim of the trailer ; that's why other people's opinion are important, and that's why it's important to share and respect opinions, and, yes, it's good to know on which basis these opinions are made.

Cheers!
Ben
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Helder got me good. I was trying to watch the explanation for Visual Triathlon and I thought the dvd was bad. I e-mailed my magic shop and they were ready to send me a new dvd then I fiqured it out. Ouch it hurts when someone gets you that good.
Risetti
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Risetti
Quote:
On 2008-05-29 06:58, jomaguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 05:05, goldeneye007 wrote:

goldeneye007, you misundertood my words. I NEVER said I do not respect people. In order you can understand the real meaning of my post, I'll repeat it putting inside square brackets the words that I had in my mind when I wrote that post.

When someone watches a DVD and states his opinion, I can agree or disagree [with that opinion], but, in any case, I respect [that opinion]. It's not the case [= I don't respect that opinion] when someone states such an opinion after watching the trailer...

Please remember, Its Helder´s father speaking.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Sorry I'm a bit late but... what is that supposed to mean ?
Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Helder Guimaraes releases card Magic DVD! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL