The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How old are we, reallly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Interesting post Arnon.

Not knowing much about arrested development, I would have to say that one’s capacity to surrender to play for the very sole purpose of the joy of play itself, is more an indicator of creative depth than anything else. Thus the word … recreation.

It is a shame that many believe that one must be an accomplished artist of some kind to be considered a creative person. This may be one of this world’s more damaging lies.

I don’t know what all this means, but I do reflect on it more as I get older.

Steve
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Everyone has a potential for being creative but not all people become artists... art and creativity are related but also have their own essences IMHO.

I am a strange eon in age.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
I began an interest in magic when I was about 10. Didn't really properly start on the long road until I was 18 and now I'm 21. Been performing mentalism for about 2 years.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
Started about 5. Then I stopped in the 7th grade because I sensed that girls didn't think magic was cool.

A nice thing today is that magic helps me to remember the innocent years.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Ok, from when I bought my first magic trick 27. From when I was first enthralled with magic, around 4.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6441 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Started at five and did my first paid performance at around 8... I put together a show of stuff from the first book I had (Magic Secrets by Kajar) and some store bought stuff. I charged either a dime or fifteen cents for the show. I believe I had about ten neighborhood kids come to my show. The big finish was the E-Z Hat Loader.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Magic at eight.
Mentalism at 14.
Zentalism at 27.

Currently 31 (and a half).
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-04-09 14:01, abraxus wrote:
...as it's all about "who" you are, the more charming and personable you are, the better your results...

Iain, is any of that charm "boyish" from your pre-adolescent years?

Mick and Scar: I believe you fellows are talking about being “old souls” as far as your wisdom and understanding of life, but how about while you are performing? Do you then feel or think of yourselves as a fossil or 150 years old? My bet is you feel young when in the spotlight – but how young? And do you draw upon feelings or experiences you had when younger that you now use while performing?

Quote:
On 2008-04-09 20:11, Hoff Man wrote:
It is a shame that many believe that one must be an accomplished artist of some kind to be considered a creative person. This may be one of this world’s more damaging lies.
Steve

Bravo - I think that you don't have to be an artist, musician, poet or mentalist to be a creative person - living life in itself can be a creative endeavor every day of one's life. It depends on how one lives. I think it all comes down to a willingness to be open to the new, acting spontaneously rather than in the "same old, same old" fashion, and being conscious in "the now."
I suspect that Dr. Spektor would agree with this, considering that he posted, “Everyone has a potential for being creative but not all people become artists….”

Quote:
On 2008-04-09 23:13, Experimentalist wrote:
Started about 5. Then I stopped in the 7th grade because I sensed that girls didn't think magic was cool.

A nice thing today is that magic helps me to remember the innocent years.

Experimentalist: Your last statement is what I think a lot of this thread is about. On the other hand, I find that girls or women still think magic is cool, as long as you don’t create an awkward moment by pulling out a magicky prop like some nerd.

Greg: It seems you were quite the performer and entrepreneur, even at 8 years old! Charging for your performances, if only 10 or 15 cents a head, showed that you valued your talent and abilities even at such a young age. Your story made me grin.

DT3: Starting or creating "Zentalism" at only 27 sounds very precocious. Can we expect a book on the subject following your writing debut with Teardrop? Smile

Thanks for the great posts - interesting and revealing. Smile
Arnon
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2008-04-09 13:30, Arnon wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-09 13:05, mindpunisher wrote:
Any real creative artist or craftsman is never "arrested". Because the mental state that is creative is beyond time and space it knows no such constraints.

Creativity grows it doesn't stay the same. If it is "arrested" then it is no longer creative.

DISTINCTION:

Creativity is boundless, BUT a major aspect of the creative performer's persona may be a throwback to a personality in childhood that later changed.

And that performing persona may have a heightened sense of wonder, drama, and ingenuous mystery because it is drawn from an earlier stage in the individual's development.

Being able to capture these (inner) child's traits (and "freeze them for the present") may be the very source of the adult performer's creativity and charisma.

Arnon

I believe the "child" is in there with everyone. Its just been covered up by conventional ideas of conforming to society. If there is such a thing is a "freeze" its when the creativity has been subued. I don't think you can freeze moments of creativity but instead you can free them. If you want to talk about the inner creative child I think its unfrozen rather than frozen. Its fluid. Either way I believe its there from birth to death and is not age related.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
Experimentalist: Your last statement is what I think a lot of this thread is about. On the other hand, I find that girls or women still think magic is cool, as long as you don’t create an awkward moment by pulling out a magicky prop like some nerd.

The problem was that I had a lot of magicky, nerdy props at that time. It was probably best that I put the magic away until I matured a bit

I did perform at my own 7th birthday party though.
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
Ok, first interest in magic at the age of 9 (magic kit for kids, what else)......looooong break away from magic until the age of 37 and now I have discoverd that my interest in card reading, occultism etc blends well with bizzarism.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
DT3: Starting or creating "Zentalism" at only 27 sounds very precocious. Can we expect a book on the subject following your writing debut with Teardrop?

Indeed you can. Give me a few weeks though. The performance schedule is a little tight right now. Arnon, PM me your email addy and I will send you a preview.

DT3
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I started at 29
Currently I'm 22 sooner 27 Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
What an interesting thread! Im now 25..quarter of century old...I do purposely tend to look at things in a quirky manner,perhaps to keep me fresh and less jaded Smile I go out to bars and I drink pints of milk...I've never been interested in what one is "supposed" to be doing.

I think when you write a piece like a stand up comic you must put yourself in a certain frame of mind(same while performing)To be honest in simplest terms we spend hours and hours thinking of ways to s***** billets and learn p**** etc etc while thinking and dreaming of delightful,inspiring,whimsical presentations...you cant do this if your mind is not fresh,open and I guess in a way childlike.

After writing all this I've come to the conclusion Im around 11 when Im my most "creative" Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I view mentalism a little like trying to chat up a woman, a mixture of cheekiness, being interested in them, how they feel, and in turn, being interesting yourself and engaging...

whenever I create something of my own, I never worry about method, I just visualise a scene let it play out, and then work backwards...run it by a few people saying "hey, would this be crazy for you to take part in if..."

up and down depends on your point of view...
I've asked to be banned
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-04-09 14:01, abraxus wrote:
...it's all about "who" you are, the more charming and personable you are, the better your results...

a very brief example was last weekend in a bar, a belgian woman was bemoaning about london and its people, the barman was snooty, I was quickly pleasant and she invited me back to her table, we chatted for ten minutes, I did one quick effect with her permission, then made my excuses and joined the people I was with...she then came back over gave me her number and email and asked for us to meet again when she's over her in two months time...

it was a basic piece of swami work, but I revealed her boyfriend's initials to her as she was missing him...but she couldn't speak for 5 minutes...

Quote:
On 2008-04-10 14:12, abraxus wrote:
I view mentalism a little like trying to chat up a woman, ....

Apparently, after having revealed her boyfriend's initials, you boyishly charmed her into speechlessness and temporary amnesia - she forgot about her boyfriend and gave you her digits to meet again. Smile

Nice work! Smile
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-04-10 08:16, Peter Carroll wrote:
...we spend hours and hours thinking of ways to s***** billets and learn p**** etc etc while thinking and dreaming of delightful,inspiring,whimsical presentations...you cant do this if your mind is not fresh,open and I guess in a way childlike.

After writing all this I've come to the conclusion Im around 11 when Im my most "creative" Smile

Childlike is the perfect term, as opposed to childish.

"Recapturing" that freshness and openness, as you called it, rather than terming it "freezing" the past moments of childhood, is probably a better way of phrasing it than Adam Gopnik did in his article. Perhaps mindpunisher would agree with that phrasing.

Arnon
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes I would agree that feels closer to what we are talking about...Freezing sounds so lifeless. A state of openess freshnes and wonder untainted by life's knocks.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I didn't pull her, she'd of been no more than about 22....my stern victorian morals would never of allowed me, even if I had been in there...which I wasnt...

it was just the wierd friendliness of the belgians...

golden rules of life I reckon, be nice, be interesting and interested, be smart, be friendly...

I've done all those in business, socially and all other ways...and it always works out positively...

creativity is definately something you cannot force out of you...just ride the wave when it comes...it always makes me excited when it does...

mind-surfing!
I've asked to be banned
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3331 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I know, difficult to believe, but I'm 47! One of the latest of latecomers I think as I my addiction began about five years ago! If my ex-wife knew how much I'd spent on magic/mentalism, I'd have been divorced much sooner! Dang!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How old are we, reallly? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL