The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How old are we, reallly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Physically 78 this year. Mentally about 50. Still have the die box from my first Gilbert Mysto Magic Set.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Quote:
Mick and Scar: I believe you fellows are talking about being “old souls” as far as your wisdom and understanding of life, but how about while you are performing? Do you then feel or think of yourselves as a fossil or 150 years old? My bet is you feel young when in the spotlight – but how young? And do you draw upon feelings or experiences you had when younger that you now use while performing?

Arnon

Arnon,

I guess you're right...I didn't really answer your question, so I'll try to explain my 'fossil' comment.

I was eight when the wonder-bug bit me. Did my first paid show at 13. Currently, I am 48 (with plenty of grey in my hair) and busier than I have ever been. Since 2000, I have been a full-time performer for the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island averaging around 1,500 shows per year. I mention this only because I wear a straw plantation hat as part of my performance character.

During my performances, I mentally become about "60". My character is that of an charming "island-codger" who is childike in nature but still gets a kick out of sharing a clever mystery, a twist in a good tale, or a toe-tapping good tune. I'm pretty sure it's the hat that does it. It's a theatrical thing, I suppose.

As I drive onto Disney's property, the hat goes on my head and I feel myself putting on the rest of my character like a well-tailored suit. What I mean by that is my performance character is very, very close to who I am in real life anyway. Yes, there are differences but close friends often say, "I can't believe Disney pays you to be who you are!" I am the first to admit that I am indeed fortunate.

The best part is this: the older I get, the closer to my performance character I become. Nothing wrong with being a fossil as long as you wear it well.

Great thread, by the way.

Best,
Mick

PS: I'm a huge fan of Zentalism. I'm hoping it replaces the New Age movement.
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How old are we, reallly? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL