We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » An Experiment With Time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I received my copy of Chris Gould's (of Sanctum II and III fame) "An Experiment With Time" yesterday. I was blessed/cursed by having about 8 hours of uninterrupted time where I was forced to stay in one place (bad for my back and knees, good for reading time) and was able to really read through it well. I'm really impressed. The effect is basically that of sending a participant back in time where they see you hold up a single playing card. You then present proof of their time travel. If you're familiar with Sanctum II, there is some similar work involved here. Plus Chris offers many, many outs for those uncomfortable with psychological work.

One hard-@ss critic on another forum gave this a reluctant 8/10. Knowing him, if he's giving something an 8, then it is something to sit up and pay attention to. I do think he is a bit harsh on magicians/biased toward mentalists, but, I'm one of the lone magicians on that board, so that's to be expected (and that's a debate for another time). He said that it's a "great piece" with lots of "possibilites and potential", though too much space was taken up going over card handling. Sure, I am familiar with all the basic work Chris explains (and properly credits), but it never hurts to make sure your reader knows what is going on. I don't see it as taking up space, stealing space from other ideas, or pandering to magicians. Like I said, though, he's a hard-@ss, unpleasant, curmudgeonly crank. And I mean that in a nice way. Or did I say that before? . . . No? Well, he is.

As I imagine this performed (I haven't yet), it is not for large groups, but for groups of 1-5 in a relatively intimate setting. I also think that except in special situations it's best performed outside of a regular performance environment (it's not a stage piece). I imagine performing it for a stranger at a party, by starting with, "You won't remember me yet, but we've met before." Yes, you'll need chops, acting-wise, and, some might say, balls the size of canteloups to pull this off (actually, it's easier to do, than to think about doing, just grow a pair for crying out loud). That is, unless you don't mind occasional close misses. Chris provides plenty of ways to avoid this, though. I think it's one of those pieces that Ormond McGill talked about when he wrote about how to perform miracles. Granted, most miracles don't involve playing cards, but I like playing cards.

Chris has provided a great basic routine/script, given you all the outs you'll need or want, and left enough room for as much individual creativity you want/are able to put in on your own. I see this as a great thing. I highly recommend this.
What would Wavy do?
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Ridgeland, MS
588 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
One thing I would like to add is that the effect can be personalized with the performers face on both pictures and a business card template which if handed out, the business card alone can generate talk.

AT
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Absolutely AT, I forgot to mention that. Or that you can get it here:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2247800
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » An Experiment With Time (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL