The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lethal - asking for review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
brainman
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of brainman
An interesting card stabbing approach - advertised ad Hocus Pocus - any knowledge about the quality, etc...?
Best
T
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
The first thing that struck me was that it was by Magic Makers. Now, as everyone knows, they are notorious for openly ripping off other effects...however, they have released some good stuff. Jason Dean and John Born's DVDs, ReinCardnation etc (I am sure I am missing some other blatant releases), and I don't condone them for that, and I have never bought a rip off from them...but this I like, and I don't know of anything else out there like this, and so I am actually interested in this
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
JL608
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of JL608
I believe this is a different Magic Makers, owned and operated by
Gerry Frenette in Canada.

Joe
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Joe is correct,

Yes it is Gerry Frenette's illusion building company manufacturing these! It is not Rob Stiff. The funny thing is that Gerry is the orignal Magic Makers and has been around for years and years heck he built my entire illusion show when I was just getting started in illusions about 20 plus years ago. Rob Stiff comes along and not only rips off product but then rips off the name Magic Makers. Gerry has since incorporated and has changed his legal buisness name to MagicMakers INC.

As for the trick, it looks fantastic!

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Vince_the_vince
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Vince_the_vince
Well, I think this is a pretty good effect, but something doesn't make any sense....I will explain: I know in can be funny, but I will never throw a knife to someboby ( without any real protection)!!! The board is not enough.

I think the trick is better if you do all the jokes with the target in front of the guy..etc..because that's funny...but when you do the final, you must put the target away the volunteer, and you ask him to throw the cards instead of holding the board...that make sense to me...If it seems to easy and you don't really need protection, if youre not a professionnal knife thrower, I think the spectators will suspect the board...The board does the work..that destroy the magic if spectators suspect the props....
Just my opinion, sorry for my english..I'm french Smile

Thank you
Vincent C
http://www.coolmagic.ca
brainman
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of brainman
...I would have prefered a "Darts Version" - Would make more sense (Plate as target,..)
Thanks for your comments guys!
best,
T
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-04-09 20:02, JL608 wrote:
I believe this is a different Magic Makers, owned and operated by
Gerry Frenette in Canada.

Joe

I stand corrected, thanks for that, and I can't believe there are TWO companies with the same name! If I were Gerry, I would try and change company name so no-one else makes the assumption I did
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1606 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I know Gerry Frenette very well. He's done some work for me quite a few times.
He's an excellent illusion builder, and probably one of the best in the business.
He's not the kind of person to steal from others.
I went to his house a few months ago to get Tony Clark's suitcase to table customized.
He showed me (Lethal)and I was impressed. This will fool everyone bar none.
It's well made and will last a life time.
Lethal is a creation of one of Toronto's up and coming magicians (Bobby Motta).

Tricky Ricky
gerryf
View Profile
New user
Gerry Frenette
3 Posts

Profile of gerryf
Thanks for all the comments guys. I agree that in some shows at least, the board should not be put in front of the body (kids in audience), but I don't think it will put too much suspicion on the board. I actually do it with the board held away. Bobby does it that way once on the video. Bobby originally thought of using a dartboard, but it was mechanically impossible. Finally, for the record, as it says in the video and ad., there is NEVER any danger to anyone, so you need not worry about "throwing" the knife.

Gerry Frenette
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
I suppose if the preference to not have the spec hold the board is present, one could hang the board on a wall? Or get an assistant to hold it? Or perhaps ask the spec to hold it out to his side?

Would this be possible?
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Quote:
On 2008-04-24 12:34, Logan wrote:
I suppose if the preference to not have the spec hold the board is present, one could hang the board on a wall? Or get an assistant to hold it? Or perhaps ask the spec to hold it out to his side?

Would this be possible?

I think they do that in the demo video. Someone holds it off to the side. I'm guessing you could hang it also.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Hey Gerry, this looks like a great trick with a great routine. How close do you have to be to the board? I would like to be a little further back than the magician in the demo video but I'm assuming that you can't be too far back since the audience needs to see the knife "fly through the air" (or think they did).

Allen
Bobby Motta
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Bobby Motta
Hey fxdude,
The distance you see me standing in the demo is what I have found to be comfortable for me in conjunction with the timing, which is key. But you can definately stand further away from the board and work the timing with a little practice. And yes, the board can be placed anywhere. Hope this helps a bit fellas.

Bobby
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
I loved the demo...a very nice effect
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Great, thanks. I'm working on a script/routine for my first stage show and I'm thinking of using this as my closer. Can't wait to try it out.
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Hey fxdude,
sounds like you took the splurge. I did as well. would you be as so kind as to post a review when you receieve the prop. I will do the same when I recieve mine. guess its a race as to who will be throwing knives at cards at first?
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Actually I haven't made the purchase yet, I'm waiting for a few other items to arrive and then will probably pick it up. Trying to space out the big purchases a bit Smile

Can't wait to hear your review.
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
I know what you mean about big purchases. magic can be an expensive hobby to be in, however every now and then a great effect comes along that one just has to have (in this case lethal). I will be happy to post a review once it arrives and I have had some time to play with the prop.
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
Yes, please let us know ferrissteve. This look very nice !
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
I'm excited to here a review on this, I'm really interested in adding it to my show. I like to know how light and durable it is b/c I have to travel a lot.
Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lethal - asking for review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL