The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lethal - asking for review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MBrook3902
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of MBrook3902
Recieved my LETHAL last week and have examined the props and watched the DVD. This was money well spent. Everything is top notch, from the craftsmanship to the routine to the instructional DVD. This will be a highlight of my show. Very glad I didn't wait to purchase when it was first released. At $1200 (now) I would not have bought it. For a busy working performer It WOULD be worth the expense. Looking forward to performing this.
It takes 4 to 6 minutes for the brain to die without oxygen. I can fix anything in that amount of time.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Well I guess I was a little upset when I first discovered the new price. It might be worth the money and if I was actually performing magic for paying audiences then I would probably still pick it up. Since I'm not yet performing for paying audiences that price is getting out of my range.
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
I've got a lot of shows coming up I have to fly to and I'm trying to cut my weight down with how the airlines are. How heavy is the effect entirely and does it come with any kind of case.
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

Also will it work in a parlour situation
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Ok, now for my review. I got this a few weeks ago, and don't usually add something into my act so quick, but this just was perfect for the up coming big event I had. I was performing for the National Health Service (NHS) 60th anniversary ball in front of 600 people, and it went absolutely brilliant. I have had so many comments since about that effect alone, and has already for me made it completely worth it.

Let me say now that Bobby and his wife Alana are an absolutely pleasure to deal with. I can't remember such brilliant service and nice people in Magic, and I so I ordered direct from Bobby, and I am glad I did as he deserves it!

The craftsmanship on the board is sensational! Built to last a long time I am sure. I have quite a few BIG events coming up as well, and I will use it then. This effect does require practice, as all tricks should. Now, I know some people have been hesitant about this as they thought people would not get up, I didn't have a single problem...though I didn't tell them what I was going to do till after they had come up etc and picked the card, lost it back in the deck etc. I did also tell the guy though after I had got the board from behind my table that he was 110% safe and smiled and he smiled back and looked calmer. I think the comedy aspect of telling them they are going to catch the knife takes an edge off some of the seriousness of the effect.

The props are first quality as I have said before. Though I am sure there is no way it should take as long as I did to set up, I took about half an hour to set up as I tried a lot of possibilities with the knife to get it perfectly set up.

The nice thing is, is that it is all self contained, so when you get to your gig, just carry the board in and you are set!

The effect also comes with a really nicely produced DVD. The DVD is broken into many segments, and Bobby is a good teacher. I don't believe a single step was left unturned. The DVD starts with a welcome, as all DVDs do these days, followed by a few live performances. It really is good to watch the performances, and learn from them. Then you get shown the technical side. Jerry goes through what you have and how it works and how to set it up ready to perform. This is probably the most useful section on the DVD, and really does go over everything technical you could need to know. You basically get a walkthrough of the device.
After this, Bobby goes through Knife control, various ways to bring the knife into the actual performance, how to make holding the knife look natural etc, all the different ways to throw the knife etc which is incredibly important to get right! (Although you aren't actually throwing the knife in the effect).
Next comes timing and positioning. These two are incredibly important, especially the timing, and this is what will take the most practice. If you really are to practice efficiently, you need to practice with someone else who is going to throw the cards in the air for you.

There are a few ways to perform it, with a forced card, freely selected and signed card, or...an imagination come real sort of effect. The version I performed a couple days ago was the forced card version. I think the signed card version is great, but not needed. It isn't the type of effect that even if the spectators think you have a duplicate, that you couldn't spike that card. The magic moment is spearing a card, and it is the correct card. When I performed it...after I had speared the card, it got lots of applause, as I then said 'It is just a card at this point...', I rip the card off and asked if they would all be impressed if I had speared the correct card, they all cheered yes, I asked for the name of the card, he said it and I then said would they be more impressed if not only I speared their card and managed to change it into a different card, got lots of laughs and groans, as I then said 'But it's ok, on this occasion I got the right card'...and they all went wild. Really did get great reactions.

Some will prefer the signed card version, but for me, it really isn't needed in this type of effect. The alternate version is nice as well, if you don't want cards thrown. In this version, you supposedly make the card invisible, put it on the knife, make the knife invisible, and throw it at the board and it becomes real on the board.

And to close up are the final tips. Here Bobby just goes through how important it is etc to milk, and build up the effect as it happens. This really is a strong effect, and with three different ways to perform it, really makes it versatile.

For working Magicians, this really is great, and will easily repay you in performances. For hobbyists, the price is a little much, especially if you are only performing to family and friends every now and then. Bobby and Jerry really should be proud of this effect, as it really is top notch in every way, and I feel lucky to be a proud owner of Lethal.

When I performed it, I brought some hardware gloves, goggles and safety jacket. When I told them how dangerous it was, as I was throwing a knife at them, safety gear would be needed...and I proceeded to bring out a plastic carrier bag which got some laughs (And this was my intention, as I say 'On a tight budget' as I bring the bag out), then I put all the safety gear on me! Just before I throw it though I take the gloves and goggles off and put them on the person throwing the cards...again gets laughs, then I get ready to throw and say 'Ok, I have some protection for you as well'...

As you can see, there really is so much scope for this, and the fact I was performing to the NHS, meant there were GPs and nurses there as well as directors etc, so I told them to be on stand by should I miss etc which got more laughs. I really had fun performing this for the first time, and can only imagine the amount of fun I will continue to have performing this. Thanks and congratulations to Bobby and Jerry!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Great review. The routine ideas are great as well. Thanks for the info
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

It's good to hear the effect is top quality, even with the price raise I'm pretty sure I'm going to be adding this to my show, but how heavy would you say it is and does it come with a case and is it going to break if I drop it or is it pretty sturdy.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 02:25, mcvicarthetrickster wrote:
It's good to hear the effect is top quality, even with the price raise I'm pretty sure I'm going to be adding this to my show, but how heavy would you say it is and does it come with a case and is it going to break if I drop it or is it pretty sturdy.

It really isn't heavy at all. Really light I would say, as remember the spectators will have it over their heads at one point, so it can't be too heavy that it hurts or anything, so I am sure that went into the design process. It doesn't come with a case, so if you want one, you will have to get one yourself, but just go to a hardware store and I am sure you will be able to get one of those strong silver tool boxes to fit it at a cheap price. If you drop it, it should be ok...obvioulsy might chip or scratch, as it is made out of wood primarily, but I still think it would take the odd knock here or there. I am looking at getting a case built for it and the rest of my cabaret act as I know some people who can do this sort of custom work
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
smittymagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of smittymagic
SOLD...I'm buying one tommorrow.
gerryf
View Profile
New user
Gerry Frenette
3 Posts

Profile of gerryf
Chris thank you so much for taking the time to write so much detail about Lethal. It is much appreciated by us, and I'm sure to many others who are considering purchasing it. So glad you love it!

Gerry Frenette
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
I second that, I really enjoyed your review Christopher. Your position as a real pro makes it very clear for us.
I will buy one soon now.
Thanks !
brainman
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of brainman
.. did order ; )
T
brainman
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of brainman
Aaaaaand got it - I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT!!! I do not say that too often. This will be definitely used! ; )
Great service great illusion!!!
T
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Left the country for a month the day it was scheduled to arrive. its killing me. almost two months from order till I can finally work with the apparatus!!!
smittymagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of smittymagic
Mine comes this week hopefully in time for the weekend !!
smittymagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of smittymagic
Well you have a HIT with the Audience and a hit with me!!. I got my Lethal for my birthday from my wife today and was doing it later on in the night for 300 people. This unit is very well made, The dvd is well produced (with Bobby wearing a microphone...YEA !!!! someone who cares about production quailty) and it goes into great detail of the performance and care. I don't think I had one question after watching the DVD. After getting this trick, I realized that I miss well made professionally produced tricks meaning that I haven't had such quality in my show since I purchased Jumbo Sidekick and KJ bowling ball. All that's left is working in my own moments, patter and gags.

I brought out an entire bag of knives and reached in to select one. Pulled a few out one by one explaining and joking about the different kinds of weapons that might be used in "tonights demonstration"

Guys this is easy to do, very well made and I say 9 out of 10 on ten being spectacular !!!! I LOVE THIS !! Great addition to my show

DON'T BUY IT!!!! Smile

Well done Bobby Whats Next!
FoxRobert
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of FoxRobert
Hi Guys I should have it within a few days. Than I will let you too.I have just decided to buy it because of good recommendation from Christopher Williams. Thank you chriss for your advices!
FoxRobert
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of FoxRobert
Quote:
On 2008-06-19 15:03, FoxRobert wrote:
Hi Guys I should have it within a few days. Than I will let you too.I have just decided to buy it because of good recommendation from Christopher Williams. Thank you chriss for your advices!

Today I just got the Lethal - I just watched the DVD - realy good made - everything is clearly explayned. The prop looks it can work for a last time. I am so happy with it. Goood job Bobby
Robert
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I am curious what the "out" would be if the electronics failed?
You are really committed and I was wondering what people would do in this case?
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 21:21, Xiqual wrote:
I am curious what the "out" would be if the electronics failed?
You are really committed and I was wondering what people would do in this case?
James

If the gimmick failed to function, I'd be inclined to mime looking for the knife I had just "thrown".

A quick walk off stage could "find" the missing card, impaled onto a duplicate knife. The other thought was to have a mechanical trigger release to activate the gimmick. Again, get a "spare" knife (bring the gimmicked knife back into play), come up to the board and throw it again while activating the board. I would be surprised if a reed switch couldn't be added as a PK out for this effect. Otherwise, you are totally up to the techno gods for your success! Smile

Great review.
Thanks
Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lethal - asking for review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL