The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How is it done? C'mon... Tell Me!!! (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
Quote:
On 2010-11-16 11:21, Jeff Taub wrote:
I've told them to read the latest Harry Potter book for the secret.

Jeff

Perhaps you should refer them to the stage magic of A Very Potter Musical (a theatre musical based on the Harry Potter books which has absolutely no magic in it).
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
"How did you do that?"

"Exactly as I planned".
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
MasterGracey
View Profile
New user
Malibu, CA / Winter Haven, FL
7 Posts

Profile of MasterGracey
Quote:
On 2010-09-01 22:30, bhavz95 wrote:
There is a really funny site
http://www.mallusionist.com

they have false explanations of so many tricks that pepole perform, so you can get some explanations off of there and say those.
for example: if you are doing a floating dollar. you say, " well I get a straw and I cut it so its an inch, then I put it in my mouth. I crumple up the dollar and I blow air through the straw so it hits precisely at the center, pushing air upward lifting the bill. I've trained myself to do it without a straw"

something as ridiculous as that always works

-bhavz95

This site is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Some of those "explanations" will come in handy!
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 16:16, Veneficus Cruor wrote:
How'd you do that?
1. Im a genetic freak.
2. Through years of tedious practice and self-denial
3. Camera Tricks ( only if your showing in live )
4. Pure luck.

hope these helped =D

LOL: No. 2 just cracked me up.

Some really great responses by everyone on this.

I also wanted to share an experience the other night that really surprised me. I did a show at my church, and the teenagers surprisingly were the ones most excited. Usually they are, like, you know, bored with everything, like. But they really enjoyed it.

Two teen girls were talking and one said, "I think I caught how you did the one with the cane (color-changing)."

"How?" her friend responded.

"Magicians don't tell how they do their tricks, and I don't think I should either."

I smiled, never found out if she knew the "real" secret, but I wanted to hug her.
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 15:09, Sir Richard wrote:
" I had to sell my soul to the devil to make that work. I'm sure he'll do the same for you; want me to give him a call?"

You should not use this one when you just did some Gospel-Magic, should you ? Smile
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Me? I thought YOU did it!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2008-04-13 15:22, Justin Style wrote:
I always say, "okay, take off your clothes and I'll tell you." Most people end it right there. And the ones who did take off their clothes now know the value of keeping a secret...

I am not making this up.

Try it.

Let me know what happens.

I'd be careful with THAT one! With my luck, the only people that would take off their clothes would be the ones that I WOULD NEVER WANT TO SEE NAKED!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 14:07, Hearttau wrote:
Here's another one. " If I tell you, there will be a little less magic and wonder in your life. Do you really want to know?" So far, its always worked for me. Of course, there's always the old standby: " I could tell you, but then you'll disappear." The kids back off with that one. Smile

Thanks for the tip! Sometimes you just need humor, because they don't really want to know, they just don't know what else to say.

I believe I have a special insight, because what I do, nobody has mentioned yet.

I simply tell them.

The context here is that I am performing magic for my family and friends, and they know that I am practicing to perform for strangers. Therefore, I don't mind telling them. I want to think, in my head, as I perform, "Anyone can do this," because not only does that humble you, and make you easier to like, it also reinforces the notion that you won't fail.
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 00:28, gdw wrote:
If I told you, then I couldn't feel special that I can and you can't.

I feel like if they ask me how I did it, then I need to change the way I perform the trick. And simply showing how it is done humbles me for the next time. (And I have tons of tricks.)

The more humble I am, the more like-able. The more like-able I am, the less the audience focuses on being fooled. (Internally humble, not externally.)
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Heres an idea

"How did you do that"
"Ok I'll tell you, listen carefully because I'm only going to tell you once"
"Ok"
"Benji"
"What??"
"Well it's too late, I'm not going to tell you again"
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Francis Urquhart in the mini-series HOUSE OF CARDS had that wonderful saying, "You might very well think that -- I couldn't possibly comment."

I have a habit of convoluting the issue -- explanations offered by the audience are frequently off the mark, and it's fun to agree with them, and then offer an equally bizarre factor to the equation. Often times this leaves them just as confused, but, equally, feeling that they might be in on trick, which couldn't be further from the truth.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Rectify
View Profile
New user
Florida
55 Posts

Profile of Rectify
Just don't hold it over their head that you know it and they don't. It takes away the fun and also image of magic when you reveal effects.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
David Berglas, in response to people asking how he did his Floating Table, would often say, "That's a very good idea. I might have to try that next time." I think that's a wonderful response.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
syshacker
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of syshacker
Quote:
On 2010-09-01 22:30, bhavz95 wrote:
There is a really funny site
http://www.mallusionist.com

they have false explanations of so many tricks that pepole perform, so you can get some explanations off of there and say those.
for example: if you are doing a floating dollar. you say, " well I get a straw and I cut it so its an inch, then I put it in my mouth. I crumple up the dollar and I blow air through the straw so it hits precisely at the center, pushing air upward lifting the bill. I've trained myself to do it without a straw"

something as ridiculous as that always works

-bhavz95

Unbelievable read. I think doing it in a humorous way is always the way to go.
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
Reply with:

A guy said to me"How did you do that?"
I said "If I tell you, I'd have to kill you"
The guy said "Ok then....Tell my wife"

But do not use this joke with a guy when his wife is there!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 10:49, Justin Style wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-26 10:38, Loopback wrote:
I recently joined up with the IBM and now I just tell them I cant or the magic mafia will come after me for breaking the oath.

Ay, yo! Come on, there's no such thing as the Mafia Smile

yo! Come on, There's no such thing as Magic Smile
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 19:16, Howie Diddot wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 10:49, Justin Style wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-26 10:38, Loopback wrote:
I recently joined up with the IBM and now I just tell them I cant or the magic mafia will come after me for breaking the oath.

Ay, yo! Come on, there's no such thing as the Mafia Smile

yo! Come on, There's no such thing as Magic Smile

The magical mafia are sort of now you see them, now you don't. And they are always in the other hand.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
It was 1980, I was a public school teacher and in our small town we had just started to use micro computers in the elementary school. I had been asked to drive about two hours to a neighbouring town and do a demonstration to their teachers. It was all pretty new then and I was pretty green at it.

About three quarters of the way through, I was trying to explain CPUs and RAMs and disc drives and there was a a pause. A bit of a know-it-all in the second row says out loud, so everyone could hear, "Yes, but how does it really do that? Where does it happen?" Referring to the electronics of it, the bits and bytes etc. The computer company from the big city who was sponsoring the demo had sent along a friend of mine, a geek who worked for them, but who also knew educators. He was very quietly sitting in row four. There was a longer pause because I did not know how to answer.

In a stage whisper Chris said, "Its all done in the PFM box."

The questioner turned around, looked directly at Chris and asked. "PFM box, what's that stand for?"

By now you could hear a pin drop.

Chris's soft, clear, reply was, "Pure, (little pause), Magic.

"So - "How did I do it?" - "Its all done in the PFM box"
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
dpalacios
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of dpalacios
I tell them " you are so lucky to still have that feeling , and that I wish I did to. I miss the feeling of not knowing how the magic is done. your so lucky!!
pcb52
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of pcb52
I just look at them smile and say secret!!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Paraphrased from the Big Bang Theory (Episode: The Prestidigitation Approximation):

"How'd you do that?"

"Hey, not knowing is part of the fun! Or, at least, that was the motto at my community college."
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How is it done? C'mon... Tell Me!!! (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL