The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind Blindfold Threads.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Brothers and Sisters,

I find it very interesting that so many heavy hitters (Pros/people I respect) responded to the "Dark Vision" thread and the SSBF thread. It goes to show you how many people find the blindfold act to be of such high worth.

Why do you think this extra layer of deception is so strong? Perhaps it is not so strong in my eyes, as an experienced performer, but to audiences?

This falls into a category that really concerns me. I need to look at what audiences see as the strongest as opposed to what I like and think audiences would love, or be impactful! How can we, as performers, learn to avoid this rut where we take things we think are gold, but the spectators think are blah. It could be the oh so clever method that we secretly love, but does nothing for specs. Meanwhile, a simple billet switch routine brings down the house.

Thoughts on this?

Best,

Paul h.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Paul,

Ahhhh, you have hit such a big nail on the head! This is not a situation only present in magic, but in all performing arts.

I would suggest the following. Look to the past and what has worked for those you admire. See what has profited them and be happy you have the history available to give you a short cut as to what audiences like.

Richard
Mik
View Profile
Regular user
Luton UK now Seattle US
189 Posts

Profile of Mik
I always felt blindfolds weren't used that much, but seeing people like Richard above , Banachek, Max Maven etc. using them, made me rethink it.

So I for one am happy for the "short cut" Richard mentions.
From the mind of Mik
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
The Blindfold has increased in popularity over the past few years for sure. I think Salem and Maven may be responsible for bringing it back into many people's minds.

I have performed a blindfold sequence since my very first paid performance and love it. I would not use Dark Vision onstage as I do not wish to muffle my voice or create the image of my head being totally covered as I personally think the duct tape being left on view is a stronger image however for drives and such Richard's product is very good and I was very impressed with the quality of it. having played with many hood style blindfolds I feel Dark Vision is well made, easy to use and deceptive.

What more could one ask for?

L.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind Blindfold Threads.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL