The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Silks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Where is the best place to purchase these? I understand they are different than regular silks. Thanks
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations rowdymagi5,

I believe you can find the Slydini Silks, with no routine— just the silks, from Hank Lee's. Dick Berry also sells the silks with a routine of his own.

Yes, they are different— heavier material and slicker than regular silks, plus they have an orange thread down one seam to tell the difference between the two silks during the routine. They will not bind up, or bind up as easily.

Hope this helps.

Joe in KC

Make magic happen, live a great adventure!
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
http://www.stevedraun.com has them in RED, which will last much longer then the white ones. I think he uses a stronger material, too!
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
The original Slydini silks were made for Tony by a little old lady in... Really, he had them cut and stitched by a mom and pop operation, a little tailoring shop near his apartment. Tony supplied the material, which was, PARACHUTE SILK! Yep, that's why the silks are so strong - they are made of parachute silk. Tony originaly bought used material from the Army, Navy Surplus Stores.

Palmer Tilden took over the sale and manufacture of these for Tony at one point in the late '70's (Palmer owned Sterling Creations, coin manufacturers from California), and since then other people have "knocked off" the silks. I have no idea what the silks currently available are made from, but the previous poster is correct about the originals, you got two silks in a set and one of them had an orange thread sewn along one side, to help you distinguish one from the other after the tying. Also, all the originals were in white. I bought 12 sets from Tony at the time (They were $15.00 a set, retail...) so I don't anticipate EVER needing new ones, lucky me! Just a little history...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
hat trick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of hat trick
Palmer still makes and sells the silks at http://www.palmermagic.com
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I found them at hocus.pocus.com.
Michael
Shafique
View Profile
New user
London
57 Posts

Profile of Shafique
I got a set off e-bay - so worth keeping an eye out there.

Cheers,
Shafique
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think the orange thread is new. I have several sets from either 1967 or 1969 and the thread is tan or brown as it was originally. I'm sure they are not knockoffs because I knew Tony and have the correspondence from him to go with that shipment.

He did not call the thread orange. It's a small point but it may indicate that there were several "runs" of product out there. And yes, some were made from used materials.

My favorite was watching him tie them together in one knot and splitting them into two separate knots. One knot was on each silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Parachute material is not made from silk it is actually made from nylon.
Daniel Faith
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If they had been made of silk instead of nylon, light would not have caused them to deteriorate like it does.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cat26
View Profile
Regular user
Manitoba, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of cat26
The nylon is used as it is easier to dislodge the knots. Just try the difference between nylon & silk and you'll see why. My Slydini Silks (nylon) have held up well but I've heard from others that they will eventually wear out also. Cheers. Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Unfortunately, nylon does not last forever. Keeping them in a dark place will extend their lives. There is still plenty of that material available.

Did you know that Slydini made some of his student's costumes? Ask Tony Clark. He is on tap this week.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
Louis Falanga just sent me the new set of Slydini silks that L&L Publishing is selling. These silks are the absolute best on the market.

There are two major differences with these than any other on the market. The first is that they look like real pocket hankerchiefs. With every other set, there is a grid in the hank.

The second difference is these silks make the "secret work" super easy! I have a set of the Palmer silks, Steve Draun's and these are the easiest to use.

If you're looking for a second opinion, ask Bill Malone, because he's using these now.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Thanks for the tip Steve. The silks from L&L work like a dream. I used a de-wrinkle spray to take wrinkles out so I can use them as regular hankies and do an impromptu Slydini Silk routine.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
I have to say, I received the Slydini Knotted Silks today and after just a few hours of practice they are showing signs of wear! Have I done something wrong!!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Handmadeinwales,

That is why you must buy 2 sets, one for practice and another set for performance.

Serously, who's did you purchase?
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Bill, I got them from Merchant of Magic in the UK, along with the booklet and Bill Malone's handling DVD. It is the genuine L & L product as far as I can tell!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Steve, I read somewhere that their is a routine with muliple knots in both silks. I also heard there is another video besides Malones in the silks. Any ideas?

Jeff
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Denny & Lee is selling a DVD ( with the silks ) by Tony Clark. Would anyone happen to know if this is worth getting, or stick with the book & Bill Malone DVD?
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Also, can the DVD be bought seperate? I went through the L&L catalogue and they just books for the silks (except for the package deal)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Silks (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL