The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's Super Walking Knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RS Magic(NL)
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
25 Posts

Profile of RS Magic(NL)
Hi there,

Is there somebody who does the effect "Pavel's Super Walking Knot"?

Is the effect really "clear" as it says? I hope someone can help me.

Best regards,

Richard
The Netherlands
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Richard,

Pavel has two versions of this trick. The expensive one has about 13 gimmicks along the length of the rope. The cheaper one has five gimmicks (I think, I could be wrong and it only has 3 gimmicks).

The first version works exactly as Pavel advertises! You can apparently cut anywhere the spectator says "stop", you knot the two ends together and then slide the knot left or right to any point the spectator again says stop. You untie the knot right there showing the hole has travelled to a new location. Re-tie the knot, move the knot again and restore the rope.

The second version you get close to a gimmick (keep moving when "stop" is called) before you cut, move the knot, and restore the rope. There is a bit of a bluff with the second version.

Of the two versions I think that the first is the better. (Spend the few extra Swiss Franks for it!)

I do perform this effect. It does get a good reaction.

(I do have two of the first version and I would be willing to sell one. If you are interested PM me).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Harry what color is the rope— red, white, blue?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is white. However Pavel will make it in almost any color for you.
RS Magic(NL)
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
25 Posts

Profile of RS Magic(NL)
Hi Harry,

I have sent you a PM, did you receive it? I am interested in the effect.

Best regards,

richard
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I saw Tony Shelley perform this at a conclave in Sydney; it is a beautiful, beautiful trick. Wildly expensive but when you see the work that's gone into it you'll know why. I'd strongly recommend this.

Cheers
Billy
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I got this effect from Pavel almost 20 years ago. I use it quite often and it is a great effect.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Harry,
Do you use any patter with the trick? I am interested in the trick but I saw it performed one day and didn't think it got much of a response. I was wondering if anyone had a patter that made the trick more entertaining.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I think it is a trick that needs patter, at least usually, to make sense. I heard it done once with a fun story about a kid cutting his mom's clothes line...then the lengths he went to to conceal the knot.
quack
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Yes I have had this for about 15 years from Pavel, the expensive one. I bought it because I saw it performed on TV by who else but the judge on Night Court! Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Yeah, Harry Anderson (the judge) made a masterpiece out of it, as he does with almost anything he performs.

I own it, it's a wonderful effect, well worth the price IF you are going to use it. Smile
Jay Buchanan
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
Richard,
Just so you know this is not a hard trick to do but it will need practice to make it look as clean and smooth as Pavel. I don't get to use it as much as I like since a lot of my jobs are close up and you can't do this one close up (at least not in my opinion). But if you have the time to put into it, get the more expensive one and add it to the show— it will be a hit. I like to swap out my rope that I do a gag with earlier to take the heat off of the rope being gimmicked.
Michael
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
I am interested in picking up the rope (20 ft) that I am using for a barrier when street performing, and using it. Would this rope pass inspection (ie would I be able to have it at people's feet the entire time? What happens if a child picks plays with it while watching the show?

The other option I was considering would be a rope through body.
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The rope is gimmicked to within an inch of its existence. It should end up in your ditch bag or case as soon as you're done with it.
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
I take it by that that I don't want it at my crowds feet for 10 minutes.

Thanks..
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I also don't think you'd want to lay a two-hundred dollar plus rope on the ground for very long, if at all.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
It depends what I am being paid for the show, and how long it would last.

I am trying to get over concern with my props like that. After all to everyone else, and in my stage attitude, it is supposed to look just like a $2.00 rope.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
No, it is not supposed to look like a $2.00 rope; it looks more like a $10.00 rope (it’s thicker than any magicians rope you will find, looks more like a climbing rope).
Smile

Putting a rope down on the ground to define a performing area is a nice idea but I don’t think that I would want to use a rope for much of anything that has been lying on the ground.

I think that the casual handling of the rope does help take any heat off of it. Heat or no heat it is not a close-up trick.

Further, after just a few performances your rope will look pretty dirty. I don’t think that will enhance your image or performance persona. You will be washing it every night following a day on the streets. While washing will not really hurt the gimmicks it will ultimately shorten the life of your prop (gentle cycle and air dry). If you are making the kind of money that affords you a new $200.00 prop every few weeks then go for it!

Me? My Pavel Super Walking Rope is over 12 years old and still looks great. While I don’t worship my props, I do take a modicum of care of them and they give me good long service.
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
I wish I was making that kind of money.. Someday. Someday soon...

But it sounds like the Super walking knot is not going to fill the bill for me. My other choice was a rope through body.

As far as your other points go, these are all great concerns. The dirt, and wear on the rope were reasons I want to use a black nylon rope. It will show less dirt, hold up and wash well, and stand out against the white wall I will be performing in front of.

At the moment I am trying to use Krazy Glue to Stiffen the rope in prep for the gimmick, so that I can wash it repeatedly. Do you have any suggestions with preping it?
:confused:

I started another topic called gimmicked ropes.

Thanks for the info.

Drew

Did you still have the extra for sale??

I won't throw it on the ground, I promise Smile

Drew
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
This effect is a reputation maker. I know that it sure helped Harry Anderson!
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's Super Walking Knot (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL