The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Mandrake the Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
A group of filmmakers has decided to build a project around the character widely recognized as the first of the costumed crime-fighters. We're talking about “Mandrake the Magician”, the mustachioed comic-book illusionist created by Lee Falk way back in 1934.

The talented Irish actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers will star as “Mandrake”, and Chuck Russell (Scorpion King) will direct. "This is a rare opportunity to reinvent one of the all-time classic comic book characters and create a new kind of hero for international audiences," Russell said.

Traveling the globe with a group of able-bodied assistants, Mandrake fought super-villains such as The Cobra, The Brass Monkey, and, um, Mandrake's evil twin brother, Derek.

Now that Mandrake's been cast, we can't wait to see who's chosen to play Mandrake's best bud Lothar, the fez-and-leopard-skin-wearing African prince who gave up the throne to bust heads.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
When is filming going to start, and a release date ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I heard... Crissy Angel is going to be Mandrakes father.

I really don't like that man -.-
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You can keep up with what's happening on this site:
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=20804

There are also many BLOGS that discuss what's happening.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:

Heaven forbid! The mere thought of it makes me mindfreak out of my gourd! A more logical "father" would be Lance Burton. At least his sense of style and panache would make sense in terms of being passed down to the next generation of magician.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-06-11 16:33, Pauldela wrote:

I really don't like that man -.-

You don't like that man as well as many others. He sure alienated himself from the magic community with his holier than though attitude and classy attire.
I personally would not cross the street to see Criss Angel.
Rennie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You Criss Angel haters would really have hated Houdini based on all your reasons given for disliking the Angel.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 14:44, Spellbinder wrote:
You Criss Angel haters would really have hated Houdini based on all your reasons given for disliking the Angel.

Could you please elaborate on that statement. I for one do not ever recall seeing a picture of Houdini with his hair looking like a complete jerk or do I recall his clothes being torn and worn, as well as all the goofy looking jewelry. And I am sure his attitude was no where near as crass as Mr. (holier than though) Criss Angel.
Rennie
jynx
View Profile
Loyal user
Pueblo, Colorado
242 Posts

Profile of jynx
Why dislike someone because of the way they look or the way they dress? I see nothing wrong with the way Criss dresses or the way his hair looks. Now the jewlery I think is just too much. But you shouldn't judge a person on their looks. I know how everyone feels about Criss Angel and he should just be judged on his performance abilities........
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 12:04, Rennie wrote:
Could you please elaborate on that statement. I for one do not ever recall seeing a picture of Houdini with his hair looking like a complete jerk or do I recall his clothes being torn and worn, as well as all the goofy looking jewelry. And I am sure his attitude was no where near as crass as Mr. (holier than though) Criss Angel.
Rennie

Then you haven't studied enough history or read enough about the real-life Houdini within the context of his era to understand any explanation I might give you. Your criticizing another human being for such trivial things, much less a fellow magician, is definitely of the "holier than thou" attitude. Be wary or you may become what you despise.
Professor Spellbinder

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 16:12, Spellbinder wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 12:04, Rennie wrote:
Rennie

Then you haven't studied enough history or read enough about the real-life Houdini within the context of his era to understand any explanation I might give you. Your criticizing another human being for such trivial things, much less a fellow magician, is definitely of the "holier than thou" attitude. Be wary or you may become what you despise.

So let me ask you, you like Criss (I like using camera tricks)Angel. I was not being critical, I was just stating why I did not like him in defense of your defamation of one of the greatest showman who ever lived.
Now who is at fault here ?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Your image of Houdini comes from popular biographies written many years after his death by people who did not really know him personally. When Criss Angel has passed on, his biographies will be just as glowing and will not mention any of you Angel-haters.

However, within the pages of old magic magazines that were published during the time Houdini still walked the earth, you will find snide comments and not very flattering viewpoints about him from his contemporaries... just as you find about Criss Angel in this Forum (and others). The defaming becomes particularly nasty during the time there was discussion about kicking Houdini out of the very society he founded, the S.A.M.

I don't defame either Houdini or Criss Angel. I leave that up to people who think that what they think and say negatively about another person really matters, and that by putting someone down you somehow elevate yourself. You don't.

My point was to simply make a comparison between two great showmen; Houdini and Criss Angel. They both were human beings with faults and foibles, and they both had a lot of envious magicians nipping at their heels as long as they were popular. They both made use of visual media- in Houdini's case, the movies that had just been invented; in the case of Criss, the video camcorder that had just been developed. They each wrote an autobiography that was immediately torn apart by contemporary magicians, but which elevated them to celebrity status within the minds of the general public. They both captured the public's imagination and as a result of that, became the envy of their peers. Contemporary magicians couldn't fault them for their successes, so they picked on their hair styles, the way they dressed, the way they spoke, and the way they treated their detractors.

So, you want to find fault with me? Go ahead. As history tells us, it happens to the best of magicians, so who am I to complain to be in such distinguished company?

And now, back to Mandrake.....
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Mandrake the Magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL