The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon - official website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
No, there isn't an official Vernon website that I'm aware of; in fact, I havn't found an un-official website either - and I find it strange. I know about David Ben who the executor of the Dai Vernon estate and legal counsel for the family. I'm also aware that Ben has issued a number of cease and desist letters for one reason or another in an attempt to prevent various products from being sold over the years.

Like countless other magicians I've come to know Vernon by reading as many books, lecture notes, and other published material referencing him as possible. I've searched the internet and have read many one page 'tribute' sites, but still, they lack indepth information most publications don't talk about. With that being said, I have not yet purchased a copy of the Ben Book on Vernon - let me know if the answer to my question lies within its pages.

So...what are your thoughts as to why there isn't an official website in tribute to Vernon?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Likely because the Vernon estate has absolutely no desire to distill the existing "value" of all the Vernon material that's for sale by offering an alternative venue in which to acquire that information for free.

Why kill the Golden Goose?
The Vernon estate is still a VERY active money making machine.

What you're asking for (if I understand correctly) isn't Vernons methods for his various effects, but for his "story".
That's what the Ben book offers, the sale of which makes even MORE money for the estate.

BTW, you can't go wrong buying David Ben's book on Vernon. It's far greater than the sum of its parts, and highly recommended if you're at all interested in the history of Vernon the man, and the history of the magic community in the time he lived.
Be warned though, it's only the first half of Vernon's life.......Book #2 is the second half, and won't be released for another year or two.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the problems with trying to produce an "official" Dai Vernon web site is the amount of total hogwash and/or irrelevant information that has been spewed out on various magic forums about the Professor, some of which was posted by someone close to him while not in an exactly sober state. Some of this tripe was also posted by people who never even met him.

So the questions to ask are:
What good would such a web site do?
What purpose would it serve?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
For one, how about selling authorized photos/prints? I'm sure many people would love a copy of the famous Hal Phyfe photo he used. Several years ago, there was a print advertised in Magic magazine that was a mixed media piece depicting old vernon on one side, young on the other, blended togehter in the famous pose. I ordered one for $60 I think. A year or so later, the topic of where to find a print of Vernon came up on the Genii forum and I told them where to get it. David Ben emailed me, wanting to know where I got it. I knew what was coming. I got a second email from him a week later advising me to keep it, as no more would ever be produced. It's really beautiful and one of my favorite pieces. It graces the wall in my office right next to my desk.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
What good would such a web site do?
What purpose would it serve?

Information and not rumors that we read all the time. Also, we like to keep our younger generation informed about the past. So many yound magicians have no idea who Dai was or BoBo, etc. I would rather have them ready about those guys than Blaine or Angel. It seems like anytime I want to look something up on an older magician it is like pulling teeth!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon - official website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL