The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Playing cards as fortune indicators? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
835 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've been doing the " Fortunetellers Book of Days " (Paul Green), where it's necessary for the specatator to cut to a few cards, which would seem to indicate her past, future, and present fortune. It's all a bit tongue in cheek of course, but.. I got to thinking (eventually!) that there must be a list of "readings" for each card... for example, the Hearts would probably be linked to some kind of romantic reading, the diamonds linked to cash/riches/money, etc, and the other two... well.. I don't know.. I always just come out with the obvious - "clubs" would indicate an history of night clubbing when younger, or tennis/badminton clubs.. etc..
So.. question is of course - is there a list somewhere I could get some more slightly wacky readings from, save me having to sit and write out a load for myself?

Thanks!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
You could look around for information about CARTOMANCY, there are many good resources on the topic by magi and mystic alike.

Or you could just make it all up, the suckers'll never know the difference. Smile

Corona.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi DCB,

I guess it depends on your character. I just have fun with the spectators and then let the impact of the "printed words" take over. I play it for lightness.

I am glad you are using the prop. Great value for $20.00!!!!

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
835 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Corona - Thanks for that pointer. Tracked it down, and it's just what I was looking for. Not that I'll actually USE the readings from there, but it's nice to actually know what the cards are SUPPOSED to mean - if there is indeed such a recognised system. Couple of weeks ago, I was severely told off by a spectator for divining something from the Jack of Diamonds. Obviously, whatever it was I said, was a load of old toffee, and harmless toffee at that, but she took offence on behalf of the person I was reading to. Couldn't get her to explain what she was on about - she just said, (glaring at me) "You know only too well what I'm talking about!". Oh well. Another example of not being able to win them all.

Paul, thanks for the response. I ALWAYS play it lightly, but I just want to try and avoid offending anyone by giving a joke reading that's perhaps a little too close to the "correct" reading.

And yes - it IS a great prop for the cash. I had a problem tying the dates to the cards, but I sorted that out a couple of weeks ago, with the help of the extremely prolific Harry Lorayne, using the old peg system.

I've had the effect for years, lying in my drawer of "things to get round to", and would pull it out now and again. The spur was watching your performance on "The Classic Force" DVD - another great source of walk around material.

I find the effect plays well for ladies from 12 yrs old up to any age really. For the youngsters, I just mis-read the unsuitable bits - they never ever want to verify the reading!

The turning over of the "randomly arrived at" card at the end is a lot more powerful than I would have thought - just another example of under-estimating the difference between magicians thinking and lay peoples thinking.
It seems obvious to me that it's their lucky card, but they kind of expect it, but can't actually believe it.
No idea how it would work on men. And I've no intention of finding out either!

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
I mentioned this a few years ago regarding picture cards, but it could be relevant here.

The four suits represent the four great things in life- Love (hearts), Wealth (diamonds), Knowledge (cloverleaf - supposedly the first plant in the year to bloom and last to die) and Death (spade).

The court cards themselves are meant reflect human nature with the younger Jacks, unlike the Kings, being more interested in Love than Wealth and power.

If you compare the Kings and Jacks, the King of Diamonds is looking directly at the Diamond and therefore, he is seen in profile with only one eye showing while the Jack, still interested in Wealth but to a lesser degree, is looking towards the Diamond but not directly at it.

In the case of Hearts, this is reversed with the Jack looking directly at the Heart while the King looks towards it but with less interest.

The King of Clubs naturally seeks knowledge and is looking generally towards the club whilst the romantic Jack has other things on his mind and looks away.

In the case of Death, both obviously look away, the older King to a lesser extent than the Jack who looks strongly away and so is again seen in profile.

The Queens do not have intense feelings about anything -remember this is well before the suffragettes- but look towards Love, Wealth and Knowledge but away from Death.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Look for a deck of Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards. They are usually playing cards with fortunes already written on them.

Here's a link: http://www.areyougame.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=UC62

Here's a description: In continuous production since 1904, Madam Le Normand's Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Deck, has been one of the most popular fortune telling decks in the U.S. These cards differ from the Tarot in that the explanations for the symbolism are written right on them along with how the meanings can change when the cards align with other numbers and symbols from other cards. This makes this a perfect deck for beginners or those who wish to tell a fortune at the local coffee shop without getting a degree in the esoteric arts. As the suits are printed on each card, this deck can also be used as a standard deck of cards or novelty item. Contains the standard 52 cards plus 2 jokers and instruction booklet. Card size is 3 ˝" x 2 ˝".
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
S. Lea
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of S. Lea
I use Hungarian Playing Cards (Piatnik, William Tell). The suits are Acorns, Bells, Leaves and Hearts. There are no 2,3,4,5,6s.

My system involves clients looking at the deck and mentally asking a question. They then shuffle, whilst concentrating on the deck. Finally, they ask the question one more time and cut. The card they cut to is turned over.

My thinking is that if the deck reveals answers to me, as the reader, I should have a good idea what the question is (like the game show Jeopardy). Accordingly, I don't have the client tell me their question, only think it to themselves.

Once the card is turned over, I tell the client what their question was and what the deck says. This immediately impresses, as you can imagine.

The cars is returned and the process is repeated twice more.

After three cards have been turned up they, are taken back out the deck and studied together, going over the original questions.

There is no trickery or cold-reading involved and the reading is done genuinely. Because of the directness of the method and deck clearly answers questions the reader couldn't know clients love it. Since adopting this method, I have seen the number of readings booked treble.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
There are plenty of books on the subject of cartomancy. The main book I use is Fortune Telling By Playing Cards by Nerys Dee.
Self concept is destiny..
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2222 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Rick wrote:
Quote:
The main book I use is Fortune Telling By Playing Cards by Nerys Dee.

This is also one of the two books I recommend on my CartoTutor page (which, I hasten to add, is a popular practice tool for doing playing card readings).
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
I believe Kenton Knepper's and Rex Sikes' audio-book Wonder Readings covers this field.

Anyone here who owns Wonder Readings?

Alel
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4407 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I do.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 22:13, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I do.

What can you say about the material, Sir?

Alel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Playing cards as fortune indicators? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL