The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A different corner. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
A different show-style,.... a different attitude,... a different street-corner. The street corner where `the show´ isn´t expected. The rushed business corner, the smelly market corner,.... the empty evening corner. There´s lot´s of these spots, around the States,.... around the world. Virgin,.. untouched,... unplayed,... unnoticed. Creating `a Theater´, here, in these spaces, is holy.

While it´s unexpected; it´s all the more surprising, attractive,... yet, all the more scarey. Not so much for the potential audience, as for the potential performer. "Will it work?" "Will I bite the big one?!?" "Why am I doing this!?!?",... confidence has it´s price,..... experience.

That´s the reason to do it. The Experience. Hopping over your shadow,.... starting a show,.... in "no-man´s land",... this is the fastest way of becoming a performer. Something real. YOUR material will develope. The situations are always new, unpredictable. Your `self´ centers, and settles down quickly. Your SELF,... YOUR self... you become authentic. Confident in your Self. The pressure forces YOU out of your belly,----like the popping of a zit.,... `artistic iron pumping´. It´s not for all,... this is not a challenge,... it´s just another street corner.

I only mention it, because often, I get the feeling; that the feeling is: there are limitations/rules in street preforming. "This works,.... these things don´t". The only truth I´ve learned on the streets is: anything is possible. It´s a Magical place,... IF you can become yourself.
I´m not a `master´, or a guru, or a `know-it-better´; but I´ve tasted a drop of the wine,.... and it´s sweet!
fingers crossed,
gallagher
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Really GREAT post pal!!!

I don't know from your Magic, but you have a way with words my unknown friend...

You seem to have a 'knack' for cutting to the meat of the issue, USE that in your performances and you shall SHINE!

No need for fingers, break some LEGS!

Bravo Gallagher!

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Gallager,

That is almost poetry. Great post!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Gallager

Words to live by, words to live by... After all it's not where you perform your magic, it's how you perform your magic. Any moment in time can be a magical experience if, and I do mean if your heart & soul is into whatever it is you are doing.

Kudos
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey thanks guys, that´s why I had my fingers crossed. I wasn´t sure what kind of response I would get. It was just something I had running around in me for a while; had to let it out. Hey Professor, appreciate it. Dan,it´s an honour hearing from you,... I read your stuff and it keeps me going,.. you´re a thinker and a `do-er´.
John, I read your last Post, about playing `farmers markets´,..I liked that.
Thanks for the responces, thanks for thinking about it.

By the way, I played one of those kind of towns today. No other buskers, no other shows,... no guessing why. We turned two out of four shows!,... ahh, was OK.
I say `we´ because I cheat a little bit. I play with a partner. It take´s a lot of the pressure off,... I never `die´ alone!!
wish you all nice weather tomorrow,
and maybe the nerve to try one show
on `a different corner´.
I´ll cross my fingers for you.
gallagher
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I agree strongly,

I have based my life on this concept and I believe it is the life of an adventurer, and it is the the most rewarding thing that has ever happened to me.

will it work? it's worked for me every time I tried it and I love it.

great post really inspiring.

great to hear from kindred spirits.

as always I look for more of your posts.

I have been following your posts for awhile and they're all great.

break a leg, fat hats, and may the loveliest of chicks be attracted to you.

your pal jimmy.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Jimmy,.. hearing from you, made a happy-man smile twice as big! Thanks.

A little story, I know you´ll feel. A while back, I was watching a really ancient guy painting the streets. A smart-dress honey boy snickers, "Kinda nice, but can you LIVE from it!" "Live from it??", the old guy askes, "I LIVE, because I do it!"
,...ahh, that made my smile.

Romantics aside, when it comes down to it, it´ll still `a good day´s work´! The weather´s good, the fields have to be plowed!!,.. roll out the show!!!

all the best,
gallagher

p.s.: my wife sends her regards,... and wishes, `the sweetest babes be attracted to YOU!´ ,...she said that, with a smile,.. so I think she meant it.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I totally agree. It's not about fighting for a pitch at the "circle" or "tourist spot", it's about having a good solid show and a good traffic flow.

My mentor said to me -find the direction that the competition is going, and move at a right angle to them. Carve your own niche!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Sounds good, but if your location is too far off the beaten path you'll be performing for a guy and his girlfriend if you can get them to stop at all.
You'll be spending more energy trying to drum up a crowd than performing. Nobody wants to be first and if your too far off the path they won't stop at all. There is a reason buskers will fight for their spots. It's no fun to be standing around waiting for a crowd to perform for.

-Prof. Gizmo
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I like the idea. If you work an place your always at may be get to know were the of the track places are. So when the busy place get really busy, rather than battle pitches and suffocate in performers, go to the of the track places which will be like over flows and be busy places.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Prof gizmo,

in my search for all things sidewalk a friend of mine sent me a copy of your book.

it really raised my spirits when I was in California. I was having serious family problems and the California culture makes my skin crawl. so receiving your book was a huge thrill to me and reading definitely helped me cope with the situations I was dealing with.

great book really inspired me and I think it's a great book for the west coast.

in the states I'm really an east coast or southern worker and when I went to the west coast I was having trouble and your book fixed a lot of the problems with my act there. I was doing a lot of things there that wasn't playing well.

not only that but I think your book is a great "how to" book for beginners.

there was huge wisdom for the veteran performer in there as well.

I was gonna write on it at the other Café and in my blog, but I have been swamped so I will get to when I can.

thank you very much for your contribution and years you've put into our work.

your pal jimmy
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Sounds good, but if your location is too far off the beaten path you'll be performing for a guy and his girlfriend if you can get them to stop at all.
You'll be spending more energy trying to drum up a crowd than performing. Nobody wants to be first and if your too far off the path they won't stop at all. There is a reason buskers will fight for their spots. It's no fun to be standing around waiting for a crowd to perform for.

-Prof. Gizmo

just thought that should be said again.

I got some guys I've been helping and this seems to always be the missing link.

eric evans also writes about it when he discusses velocity of traffic in his book the secret art of magic.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Prof. Gizmo,
read your point. Hmm,...hmmm,... I not saying, `go play where there is absolutly nobody´. But I´m thinking,`go play where others aren´t playing, or have played.´ There´s lots more of these pitches then `fought over pitches´. Gosh, what an ugly picture eh, two buskers fighting over a pitch!,.. turns my stomach. After such hassles, I find it so hard to turn a good show,... even if I´ve won!,... blah.

A misconception, though, in my experience; is how much trafic is needed. For a hot show, it can be a lot less then most think. Also, the size of a audience can be misleading. I´ll take a nice tight attentive crowd, over the masses, any day.
,... and who knows; maybe his girlfriend has a sister!

all the best,
gallagher
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I just mean that when I'm pioneering an obscure new pitch I make sure it has enough traffic to make me money, and then I get where the traffic is walking as close to me as possible, so I don't have to work so hard gettin em to come and watch me.

yeh I hate fighting for pitches very,very,very, rarely will I ever fight over a pitch, I don't want the trouble and I don't have time I need to work.

if I'm fighting for it I need it.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

If you ever work frisco it's brutal, a spray paint artist once threw me off a pitch....right through some tables he said it was his spot. he tried to do it in the middle of my show but the people turned on him and threatened him with out any provocation from me, so he waited till they left.

and don't get me started on L.A.

I've worked a lot of the towns there up and down the coast.

on the west coast they are brutal, I've never had so much trouble anywhere else in the world. I'm not sure why, I think it's because of all the regulations in that state for everything not just busking just living or opening a business. I think it raises the tension or something I dunno.

anyway funny enough the people are easily offend in a show because of their insane p.c. wierdness almost completely unique to them. in trying to escape culture they have made a bizzar one themselves, nice beaches tho....heavily regulated but nice.

scary place.

anyway I think I've strayed to far off topic with my mental scars of california.

point is.....um....

I am with you fellahs.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 16:15, TheGiz wrote:

-Prof. Gizmo

well... unless their is a star embedded on the street under their feet with their name on it, I'd hardly say any spot belongs to any one busker...

I *did* say good show and traffic flow

The main reason (in my not so humble opinion) most of the hordes of metal men and breakdancing thugs fight for the circles and tourist spots is because their too lazy, too stupid and too untalented to work anywhere else and hope to make a buck.

As magicians we can mostly fly under the radar, and away from such spots and still make some cash, but I say let these jokers cut their own throats chasing after the same tourist dollars -their going to do it anyway unless that are legislated out of doing so with permits, restrictions and legal harassment... And frankly, I want no part of any of that.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Gaddy said,

"The main reason (in my not so humble opinion) most of the hordes of metal men and breakdancing thugs fight for the circles and tourist spots is because their too lazy, too stupid and too untalented to work anywhere else and hope to make a buck."

fact.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Gaddy,
man, you found the words,... as hard and cold as they are.

One last little thought, though; just try a `different corner´, every now and then. Doesn´t have to become your life´s mission. Just every now and then. It´ll surprise you. It´ll open you up. It can be very humbling,... and very strenthening. You´ll come out somewhere else. ,...you´ll live some crazy stories,... promise. ,...just every now and then.

gallagher
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I mostly work Fisherman's Wharf, so I'm a little jaded... Besides Jerry S. and the odd transient busker (who never seems to stick around all that long, hmmm....) I've got absolutely NO LOVE for the other performers out there. Thugs and crackheads, the lot of 'em. The musicians are OK -to your face. But they are a bunch of backstabbing scoundrels the moment you turn around.

I'm so jaded, it's hard to believe I've only been doing this for a year or so...

If I had the skills, I'd ditch my table all together and just do an out-of-pocket show -so I can get out of there if things get rough even quicker than I do. But the Cups and Balls is the only trick that I do that has the power to make 'em pay.

It's so bad out there that I've even thought of "going legit" and trying to get an audition at the Pier 39 stage or Ghiradhelli's Square, but that's just not my style... Also, I'm pretty sure my show isn't quite up to snuff -but I'm working on that.

It's not all bad, though. I've got a couple (2) secret spots here in SF that I've been working this season (and guarding from everyone else!) The money isn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination -but here in SF, to get ANY money out of the hands of the locals (who are probably hit up for money by the homeless about 100 times a day or more...) is an accomplishment!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On 2008-04-24 14:59, gaddy wrote:
I mostly work Fisherman's Wharf, so I'm a little jaded... Besides Jerry S. and the odd transient busker (who never seems to stick around all that long, hmmm....) I've got absolutely NO LOVE for the other performers out there. Thugs and crackheads, the lot of 'em. The musicians are OK -to your face. But they are a bunch of backstabbing scoundrels the moment you turn around.

I'm so jaded, it's hard to believe I've only been doing this for a year or so...

Oh man I feel for you dude I just want to say keep working at it man and why note go for the pier give it a try. As for tricks out of pockets and easy to carry stuff iam sure you know and probable thought about one way or another but rope magic is good something like a coat escape or grandmother necklace. Jimmy talks a lot had a video of some one do somthing like this on his blog

I don’t know if this helped but keep going ill think and pray for keep going.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A different corner. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL