The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "The Pocket Book" My first real review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Curtis Kam Has written a very special book Called “ the Pocket book” This little 83 page paperback book is an explosion of information for the mind of the magician from the mind of, in my opinion, one of the greatest magicians of our time. I loved it so much I wanted to scream in my loudest outdoor voice while everyones asleep to wake them from their slumber of monotony and the mundane. Wake the hell up people! It’s time to start asking your selves some new and very different questions about the direction of our magic. No matter where you are in your journey, questions always arise and we have seen them for example on the magic boards.
What are the top five tricks?

How do we get more impact out of an effect?

What size coins should we use?

What books should we study?

And so many more questions. Curtis asks and answers the small questions and more importantly the much overlooked bigger questions worthy of contemplation. For example, what are the five biggest lessons:

How to bring an abstract idea to life, you should study ________________.

How to refine a technique until it is optimally deceptive both visually and psychologically, you should study ________________.

How to learn the study of grace, you should study ______________.

How to understand the difference between what you do and what the audience perceives you doing, you should study _______________.

How to learn something new or take a routine that could not possibly fool anyone and work it until you understand how it does.

Many answers from thirty five years of experience are in this great meat and potatoes book. There is absolutely no fluff, filler or armchair theory, only what pertains to you and your journey. For example in the effects section of this book he gives 52 different effects that go beyond the usual in response to the claim that the effects that are possible with coins are limited. He gives you so many of the tools you need to show the world that anything is possible.

He wrote this book for the coin guys but anyone involved in magic would have great benefit in reading this. He covers so much in this little book from effects, finesse, sleights, framing, gaffs, getting caught, hand-washing, important moves that aren’t in the basic foundational books but gives references of the books to study, listening, nomenclature: speaking proper “coinese” which in my opinion with this book would become more proper to say “coinease”. He also covers the building blocks of presentation, repetition, retention passes, routing, sleeves, and tells. There is so much information in this little book that I can not rave about it enough. Curtis I tip my hat to you on a great product for the magic community. Quite frankly I think with this little book in my opinion it is hard hitting, thought provoking, inspirational and offers a new magical perspective.
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Kevin Fox
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fox
HI. Reed Where do we order the book. Also I just watched Your promo video I was Impressed. Hope every one is well .Best Kevin Fox.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I have the Pocket Book and I enjoyed it very much. I have a lot of books on Coin magic but few of them talk about the things that really makes the magic work inbetween the moves.

Reading the book acknowledged a lot of ideas or concept that I have thought of and introtduced new ones.

I think anyone who does coin magic should read this and anyone starting to do coin magic should read this. 35 years of answers for 20 bucks or so in 80 pages is well worth it
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
This is a self-published book and is available on Lulu.

http://www.lulu.com/content/2177995

-Brian
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks Reed and Joshua, it's extremely gratifying to hear that The Pocketbook is turning out to be as useful as I hoped it would be. I hope some of the other early purchasers will take the time to post a review here, as well.

For anyone new to this, there's more about "The Pocketbook" here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&19
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Nbac
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Nbac
This book is a gift from a great magician/coinworker. Everyone will find something usefull in this pocket book, the value of the advice it contains is way superitor to the price asked for it.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Are you all familiar with what a "pillow book" is? It was presented to a young couple in medieval Japan on their wedding day (or a day or so before) answering all the questions, embarrassing and otherwise, about married life and all that implies (I'm trying to be delicate here). Curtis's book is like that for coin folks (no need to be delicate here). It's got all the answers to the questions Reed wrote above and more. As someone relatively new to the coin world, I think it's a great little book, one that will get numerous re-readings at my house.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Mark Raven has uncovered one of the hidden secrets of The Pocketbook. It actually contains all the advice a young couple will need, you just need to know how to interpret the metaphors.

Just another reason why every beginning coin magician should read The Pocketbook--it will help you master the two greatest challanges to magicians, coin magic and married life.

Also hidden within its pages are the truth about UFO's and a great recipe for Moo Goo Gai Pan.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Curtis, if you understand married life, you're a greater man than I already thought you were.

I'll have to check out that recipe.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "The Pocket Book" My first real review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL