The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tolex Covering (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Has anyone ever use Tolex covering instead of painting an illusion? Does it work well when one color is applied over another color, to make designs?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I've never used Tolex on illusions, but I would think that the texture and thickness would make it very difficult to successfully apply one color over another. You might be able to cut out the designs and "inlay" the second color.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5269 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've only used it to cover suitcase tables and, of course, to recover an old Fender amp.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
I have a question for anyone who has used tolex. I emailed the supplier and I think my email went to junk since I wasn't registered. Anyway...
If I have a sheet of say 1/4 inch ply and covered one side with tolex the other side would be painted black since it isn't visible. Would that be to thick for 1/4 inch aluminum extrusion or U-channel?

I know that extrusion and U-channel is made for the thin coverings used in ATA cases.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 23:39, mrmetropolis wrote:
I have a question for anyone who has used tolex. I emailed the supplier and I think my email went to junk since I wasn't registered. Anyway...
If I have a sheet of say 1/4 inch ply and covered one side with tolex the other side would be painted black since it isn't visible. Would that be to thick for 1/4 inch aluminum extrusion or U-channel?

I know that extrusion and U-channel is made for the thin coverings used in ATA cases.

In making anything with plywood the surface will still need to be sanded smooth and sealed or primed before anything is applied or painted. This sanding should bring the edges in to fit with aluminum U channel. I used quarter inch play, and covered with vinyl and still applied U channel aluminum.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Yep. That was another case of me over thinking a design. Thanks for the reminder Bill. I'm back on track now.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tolex Covering (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL