We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ultimate Marked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Just a couple of questions:

Q1: Are they easier to read (the marks, that is) depending on the color of the back or it doesn't matter if the deck's red or blue backed?

Q2: Apart from the recently reviewed Boris Wild's set of DVDs, is there any other source out there for effects with a marked deck?

Thanks in advance, guys
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
689 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I doubt the deck color matters much. I have blue and it is quite easy to read. Wild and Charles Kirk have a book entitled "Hidden in Plain Sight" published by Fun Inc. There are other books on the topic as well; can't recall titles.
dragee
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of dragee
There is a book by Charles Kirk called "Marked For Life". It also teaches you some system to mark yourself.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2149 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I have the red version, and it's quite easy to read. I've not seen the blues, so I don't know how they compare. As mentioned above, there are a few books out on the market for marked decks.
Kevin Reylek
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
You'll find more information about the UMD on this recent thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
There is a product called Juice that supposedly you can read the marked card from across the room. I have not tried it - I do not do much with marked decks. We carry a few in our store, and they sell well - but I personally have not worked them into any of my effects yet. Many card effects seem to trigger the reply "oh that's a marked deck" and I like being able to say no - here .. find any odd markings if you can...and know for certain they cannot.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Marked decks: Well, the ultimate deck color, from Double Lift's question, is - from my polling - mostly a matter of personal preference. I like blue decks better, myself. I've always thought that there was a wee bit more contrast between blue and white than red and white. I thought it was obvious. I've been asking others, over the last couple weeks for another project I'm working on and quite a few of them say they feel the reds are easier to see. So . . . it's a 'Go Fish' issue, I guess.

Amongst the various commercial marked playing cards out there, the Ultimate really is my favorite. Just a little bit quicker to read than the others,

Juice decks. Now that's a tricky subject. It's really hard, without a bit of practice, to see the marks, if they're done lightly. (Do read the Kirk Charles book, it's very good info.)
Juice 'work' is much, much larger than small dots, lines or characters. Curiously, they're easier to read from a few feet away!
Make a couple decks of these and try them out for yourself. The instructions that come with the Walt Noon juice provide a typical system to use.
In general, it's likely that the average person wouldn't find any marks. Probably. (The experts say that Bee/ diamond back overall designs are the perfect card for 'juice.') NOT my favorite deck . . .

PM me and I'll give you a method (tho you may know it, anyhow) for easily marking your own cards that works well. It would be easier to find the marks I'd explain to you, however, if anyone really examined the backs carefully. That's pretty well true for most standard commercial or home-made decks.
brane
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I feel that the best marked deck should be determined by your audience.

For example, the Boris Wild, Ultimate, Ted Leslie and other marked decks which are variation of cut-out and block-out work can be easily detected by using the Gamblers Riffle Test. So, if you are working for a knowledgeable crowd, you will get nailed.

Also, if you want to read marked cards from a distance, Boris Wild, Ultimate, etc. can not be used unless you have super human vision to see the marks across a table.

If you want to read cards far away, then you need to use Juice or Luminous marked cards because the marks are very large when using Juice or luminous technology.

A good quality Juice of Luminous deck sells for $60 - $360 depending upon where you buy it and of you are using paper or plastic cards. Quality luminous is more expensive than Juice.

If you mark your own cards using a quality Juice solution or Juice Dust or N-Dust or Luminous product your cost will average $3 - $15 per deck. But, your up-front outlay for the solution or dust to mark multiple decks will be higher.

Marking your own deck also allows you to use your own marking patterns which will fool those who know "standard" marking patterns. You can also adjust the mark's intensity for your caoabilities and working envoronment.

As far as learning is concerned....reading Juice does take some practice, but, you don't need sunglasses to read Juice vs. luminous which requires the use of filtered sunglasses.

I hope this description helps.... BOTTOM LINE, The Wild, leslie and Ultimate decks are fine depending upon your audience and if distance is an issue....enjoy !
Long Island,

New York
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Thank you very much for your help and hints, guys.
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
SSG
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of SSG
My own personal preference is Ted Lesley's working professional's marked deck, but Camirand also markets one called the Kozar deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ultimate Marked Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL