The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stapled shut billet read? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
Not sure where I saw this but am interested in finding any information about a stapled shut billet read.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That's wierd?! I'd be interested too...as I have my own that I've been using for quite a while...
I've asked to be banned
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
While such a peek might be interesting for the magician inside of all of us - I think you efforts might be better spent on more traditional billet methods than concerning yourself with stapling them shut. I feel this might bring a little too much heat that that little bit of paper we want them to forget about no?

L
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 17:58, Ramsay wrote:
While such a peek might be interesting for the magician inside of all of us - I think you efforts might be better spent on more traditional billet methods than concerning yourself with stapling them shut. I feel this might bring a little too much heat that that little bit of paper we want them to forget about no?

L

Agree 100%
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
I agree with Nate and Luke. I think a better line of thought is a folded billet pinched together by a participant.

I think even that is overkill, but would be a good exercise in thought and might even work out well for certain performances. With that said, there would always be easier methods to work with.

/paul.f
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
'Handcuffed water torture billet escape switch', now there is a thing of delicate beauty!
Ryan Reeves
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Ryan Reeves
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 19:59, Corona Smith wrote:
'Handcuffed water torture billet escape switch', now there is a thing of delicate beauty!

Now does that mean that the billet is doing a handcuffed water torture escape and you're switching it? Or......? :p
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
269 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Or maybe rather than stapple....use a paperclip and gain you peak right under their noses.....think Al Mann and the method is in one of the manuscripts
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I think Richard Osterlind teaches a peek with a paperclip on one of his videos.

Are we talking about a billet read or billet peek? Not that I would personally recommend it, but if you staple the D***Y, you can read the spectator’s billet just like any other billet. I could list a half dozen ways to execute the required move in the context of certain motivated actions.

A long while back, on this board, FIB mentioned a staple move based on an Archer video (at least I think he did.) I remember him mentioning that an advantage of stapling is that it prevents a person from opening the D***Y
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Switching and stapling is certainly a better option than a read of the actual stapled billet however even with the switch I see little reason for this.

Ted K had an interesting billet peek that used a paper clip to secure the billet closed that I suppose could work well with a staple (it appeared in Magick) however I see no reason to not simply have a word recorded and fold the billet and have the spectator hold onto it without the addition of the staple as it seems to draw massive attention to the item we are hoping to make the spectator forget in the long run.

L
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Yes, did someone call me?
Elliott, thank you. You know, there's one approach you, yourself, haven't taken in your brilliantly clear, mentalist-must-read, encyclopedic "Switchcraft" manuscript.
It is with a t**** t**. (At least, I don't think you have.) I'm working on a very fair switch with the t** -- done in the act of apparently putting a paperclip on the original billet: You left fingerpalm the soft t** with the d**** billet -- paperclipped -- also left fingerpalmed and going for the ride on the side of the t**.
Spectators only see the clip that's purposefully and very visibly sticking out of your left fingers. They see it "go on" the billet. They then "see" a paperclipped billet. Looks pretty natural -- simulating the act of putting a paperclip ON. I applied work on the t** I saw on a DVD by Alexander d* Co*a.
f*b
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
I'm pretty sure Carneycopia by John Carney has something like this in it. Ah no, I've just remembered its a stapled shut prediction method. Might be adaptable though...
Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I'm with you, merlin. Most of the approaches I thought of refer to the stapling as a method to ensure fairness in prediction, not to prevent p**king by the performer.

I'd really give some thought to what the motivation for stapling is. If you are just doing a p**k, then I agree with Luke wholeheartedly. The staples raise awareness and should be used for that reason, if they are to be used.

Now, as far as predictions go, your options open up so much more. However, as that is not the topic and this is not downstairs, I'll leave it at that.

Lem
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I use the stapler in the same was as you would for a microphone sw****...

then stapling "it" shut so I can't tamper or get to it...it also stops others trying to open it too and can be left plainly out in the open on a table or wherever...

I wouldnt try and peek inside a stapled billet!
I've asked to be banned
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
Cuz of that last post, this should be moved to Inner Thoughts, which is kind of ironic as the originator of the thread will be unable to view it.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Couldn't you read it, THEN staple it? The effect is the same.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 00:16, fib wrote:
Yes, did someone call me?
Elliott, thank you. You know, there's one approach you, yourself, haven't taken in your brilliantly clear, mentalist-must-read, encyclopedic "Switchcraft" manuscript.
It is with a t**** t**. (At least, I don't think you have.) I'm working on a very fair switch with the t** -- done in the act of apparently putting a paperclip on the original billet: You left fingerpalm the soft t** with the d**** billet -- paperclipped -- also left fingerpalmed and going for the ride on the side of the t**.
Spectators only see the clip that's purposefully and very visibly sticking out of your left fingers. They see it "go on" the billet. They then "see" a paperclipped billet. Looks pretty natural -- simulating the act of putting a paperclip ON. I applied work on the t** I saw on a DVD by Alexander d* Co*a.
f*b

Thank you so much, Fib!

I tried your T.T. clip move and it looked pretty good…although my Txxxb Txp is probably not the best type for this sort of thing (I most often use a finger version)

Re: the lack of TT work in Switchcraft – I’m a big fan of that gimmick, but never really got into using it for billet work. I think it probably has to do with the size of the finger gimmick I tend to use versus the size of the billets I prefer.

Thanks,

Elliott
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Another often underused but useful gimmick that can create wonders with billets is the Sanada gimmick. Think about having a dummy appear and vanish instantly with hands being seen empty at all times. Not something I have used in any formal performances but something to think about. I made up a few different billet applications of this gimmick a few months ago and as I said while I have not used in performance I had much fun playing with the ideas.

L
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 17:58, Ramsay wrote:

L

I too agree 100%!
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Makes that BLINDFOLDED 'Handcuffed water torture billet escape switch', on a levitating table.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stapled shut billet read? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL