The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » They didn't see this coming... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7354089.stm

I am guessing that the genuine psychics will not be worrying about it.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
They can televise the first Trials and package it as PHENOMENON UK...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2498 Posts

Profile of Chris K
For personal (people I know getting taken advantage of) and professional reasons, I don't generally like "pyschic readers" (there are exceptions which I don't want to go into) but this seems inappropriate. I hesitate to point it out but there is really no difference, in terms of absolute "proof" between who they want to police and every organized religion I can think of.

Either beliefs are protected or they aren't. Enforcing laws only on those beliefs you don't subscribe to is dangerous. As such, even though I appreciate the spirit of what they want to do, I just can't support this approach in any way.

What thinks you all?

Lem
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
I think god should be proven before donations are allowed in church. Just like spiritual advice should be outlawed until spirituality proved true. who maybe we should remember that we should have free speech. (last time I checked we did have free speech, but I could be wrong)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
What has been said here on matters of faith can be said on other areas as well:
Psychiatry, counseling, investment advice, the list can be very long.

As for those who “charge for entertaining” well, that speaks for itself. Smile
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
I think as entertainers we can use the same arguement video game producers use... what makes the ideas we express in our form of media wrong, compared to that of poetry, or books.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Then why is it different for entertainers who perform readings?
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 13:57, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Then why is it different for entertainers who perform readings?


This was my thought exactly,

I think as long as we aren't claiming to be genuine psychics then we are on steady footing. However, this makes things difficult to police because if two mentalists perform the same routine, and one presents it with a psychic theme rather than a psychological theme, then would they be more likely to be prosecuted ?

What if the person performing with the psychic theme was performing at a gathering of magicians and other mentalists, would this change of environment have any effect from a legal standpoint ?


I fully realise that these new laws are unlikely to affect us as performers but from a hypothetical point of view, how do you think context, method, and presentation would impact on the likelihood of prosecution ?

all the best

Vai
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 13:11, Vincent.Lynch wrote:
I think god should be proven before donations are allowed in church. Just like spiritual advice should be outlawed until spirituality proved true. who maybe we should remember that we should have free speech. (last time I checked we did have free speech, but I could be wrong)


Here in the UK? lol
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
You can have free speech in the UK but it'll cost ya.
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
Free speech??? That's where my taxes went then.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
Lol. yeah, I was been sarcastic about free speech, I don't really believe we have it. I KNOW we are a communist nation that I SUSPECT has totalitarian inclinations.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 13:57, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Then why is it different for entertainer who perform readings?


Context.

- entity
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
If this law is passed in the U.K., will Uri Geller offer his services as an expert witness at trials?
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Maybe but Criss will be the bailiff and threaten to punch out the expert witnesses....
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Pi314
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
114 Posts

Profile of Pi314
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 21:42, Arnon wrote:
If this law is passed in the U.K., will Uri Geller offer his services as an expert witness at trials?


If he can bend a spoon then surely he can sway a jury!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't think the law will be enforced it will be too difficult. I think it will probably affect those telephone psychics and other big operations that make a huge amount of money and are obviously a scam. They hire ordinary people and give them scripts.

I think the spooky churches and "real" mediums won't need to worry.
S. Lea
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of S. Lea
This is pretty much of a non-story (typical of the BBC). A spirtualist would have the same protection as any religious minister. The key quote is:

"Under the new laws, some mediums feel they will be obliged to prove what they do. And when you're in the business of contacting spirits in the afterlife, that's not easy. " (my emphasis)

The only people who would be hard hit would be practioners of dubious therapies. Then they would be able to tailor their sales pitch to get around any laws. Saying you can contact the dead is different to saying that you have the power to cure illness. There are already laws in place but I suppose this act will tighten things up. Which is a good thing.

As a hypnotherapist (which would be under no threat from this because it is a 'proven therapeutic medium' according to the BPS and BMA) there are certain claims I can not make. Illnesses I can not claim to treat (Cancer, Diabetes, Depression) and illnesses/problems I can not give indicators of speed over. However there are many hypnotherapists who claim to 'cure' depression or to help you 'give up smoking fast!'. Additionally, I can't give success rates without having the evidence to back them up. Some people successfully treat 99 clients out of 100 and then misleadingly claim the chances of successful treatment to be 99% and so on. Yet many hypnotherapists make such claims.

Getting someone to 'prove' a spiritual belief is obviously different from getting people to support health claims. If you say you can heal people then this can be easily tested - and should be.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'd love to know what criteria the law will use to indicate a pass or a fail.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein






FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If they get better you pass if they die you fail...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » They didn't see this coming... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL