The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » They didn't see this coming... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-04-19 16:11, kinesis wrote:
I'd love to know what criteria the law will use to indicate a pass or a fail.

The water test:

What else floats in water?

Bread.

Apples.

Very small rocks!

Cider!

Gravy!

Cherries!

Mud!

Churches!

Lead! Lead!

A duck!

Exactly. So logically…

If she weighs the same as a duck… she’s made of wood?

And therefore…?

A WITCH!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5820 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Oh man, you skipped over the best line.

"Build a bridge out of her."

"Madame Sosostris, famous clairvoyante,
Had a bad cold, nevertheless
Is known to be the wisest woman in Europe,
With a wicked pack of cards."

What a sly tip I missed when read in high school. I'd like to believe it is not coincidence.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Thank you Tom. Smile

Someone gets it.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5820 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If she can contact the dead isn't she already a bridge to the afterlife?
And if we burn her, do we have to stop the flames before she is well done?
Oh dear, this gets curiouser and curiouser.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
834 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 07:36, salsa_dancer wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7354089.stm

I am guessing that the genuine psychics will not be worrying about it.

Maybe the same thing for religions/churches is needed as well...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-20 12:21, Tom Cutts wrote:
If she can contact the dead isn't she already a bridge to the afterlife?
And if we burn her, do we have to stop the flames before she is well done?
Oh dear, this gets curiouser and curiouser.

A well done medium isn't much good!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
I was thinking about this earlier, my own conclusions were that psychic readers could get round the legislation by teaming up with bookmakers. So they could end by saying something like "The odds are 3 to 1 that you will meet a tall, dark stranger, 2 to 1 on that you are about to come into some money, and 10000000 to 1 that your Uncle George is trying to contact you. Odds brought to you courtesy of Corals."

That way, not only is there an "out" in case of not being correct, but there is a potential income stream of getting sponsorship from bookies.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Quote:
On 2008-04-19 16:11, kinesis wrote:
I'd love to know what criteria the law will use to indicate a pass or a fail.

Laws are often woolly in purpose or sloppily drafted, and as a result have to be tested in court over a matter of years to determine what they should actually be taken to mean. I predict a good profit for a lawyer or two along the way in working it all out though!

(Note: The above comment is intended in jest, and, should it be proved to the satisfaction of a court or other legal proceedings that no lawyer, or even two, has made a profit along the way, this caveat will be invoked.)
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
It is completely ridiculous to pass a law requiring "psychics" etc. to prove their claims.

People must take responsibility for who and what they believe in life, and take responsibility for their own actions. If someone makes the foolish decision to consult a "psychic", that is up to them.

There will, sadly, always be "psychics" and other rip-off merchants of all kinds out there, who aim to fleece people with their BS. It is up to people to educate themselves so that they don't fall for the nonsense.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Esjay Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
Halls of residence
267 Posts

Profile of Esjay Dee
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 05:57, Top Hat wrote:
People must take responsibility for who and what they believe in life, and take responsibility for their own actions. If someone makes the foolish decision to consult a "psychic", that is up to them.

There will, sadly, always be "psychics" and other rip-off merchants of all kinds out there, who aim to fleece people with their BS. It is up to people to educate themselves so that they don't fall for the nonsense.

1st... your presuposition that consulting a psychic is foolish is based on the assumption that ALL psychics are fake.....BS...prove it. That comment was offensive to me.

2nd...I agree with you, con men/women are allways looking for a soft touch. The world is full of 'bad' people...intentionally ripping people off. Undeniably some 'fake psychics' do this. The genuine do not. Get over your predjudice, grrr.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2079 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Esjay Dee,

Asking Top Hat to prove that ALL psychics are fake is an impossible task. However, one genuine psychic can prove his assumption is false. Randi still has his check as far as I know.

Assuming a "fake psychic" would not admit it if asked by a potential customer, what advice would you give to those who would seek out a psychic so they can avoid the "fake psychics" and be confident they are sitting with a "genuine psychic"?

Regards, Steve
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Sometimes a "fake" psychic may be more useful than one that believes they are "real".

Some "genuine" psychics do talk a lot of crap and offer some really bad advice.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-22 10:00, mindpunisher wrote:
Some "genuine" psychics do talk a lot of crap and offer some really bad advice.

I've found this true for advice givers, counselors, and experts in many walks of life.

Tony
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 06:25, Esjay Dee wrote:
1st... your presuposition that consulting a psychic is foolish is based on the assumption that ALL psychics are fake.....BS...prove it. That comment was offensive to me.

2nd...I agree with you, con men/women are allways looking for a soft touch. The world is full of 'bad' people...intentionally ripping people off. Undeniably some 'fake psychics' do this. The genuine do not. Get over your predjudice, grrr.

Haha... I love it. Great humour, Esjay Dee!
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 09:56, yachanin wrote:
Assuming a "fake psychic" would not admit it if asked by a potential customer, what advice would you give to those who would seek out a psychic so they can avoid the "fake psychics" and be confident they are sitting with a "genuine psychic"?

Oh, I know that one.

Go to a psychic and ask them if they or the gal down the street is the true psychic.
The one that is said to be the fake is actually the true psychic … I think … or they hold a relic or something.

Mere child’s play.

Steve
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2079 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Smile

Regards, Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » They didn't see this coming... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL