The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need Some Advice??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Hey Everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I just recently booked a huge performance. It is for a big independence day celebration. I'll be performing in front of 10,000 people. The show will be on an outside stage, with huge stands in front of me. Obviously I'll have to perform some large illusions here. None of the illusions I own now will work, so I'll have to build some new ones. I am looking for atleast two illusions that can be performed in the outside, and can be performed almost surrounded. The stands in front of me will be the length of a football field, so I am not sure the angle problems that I'll have, as I will be relatively close to the audience, and am not able to move back too far to hide certain angels. There will be no one behind me, but a few people to my direct right.

I was thinking a metamorpasis trunk for one, but this performance will be televised and in the newspapers, and was hoping to do something that not everyone has seen.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Smile

Oh, one more thing. The person who hired me has requested that I do one trick with some important political figure that will be there. Anyone have any suggestions on something fun I could do with an audience member, but something 10,000 people will be able to see? Thanks again in advance.
Believe In Magic....I do!
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of reedrc
welllllll If you have 15 or so grand I have some large illusions you may want to build with me Smile
hehe.... larger magic costs bucks. Drop me a line if you wish help with the big stuff. If its within your budget of course......

Then again if this stage has some video screens go Copperfield. Do skotch and soda for a close up cam! Smile (sorry couldent resist)

R.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Steinmeyer's Modern Art will fit the bill. Has been seen on TV but not as much the Sub trunk.
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Well Reedrc,

I'm not sure if I want to spend 15 grand Smile

I am willing to spend some big bucks, but I'd rather build one and save a little.

Modern Art might work, but I'm still open for more suggestions. Unfortunately I have discovered you are kind of limited on choices when they have to be done surrounded.

Thanks Reedrc and magicbuilder. Any more suggestions?
Ray Anderson
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Ray Anderson
Perhaps you could rent a few illusions. Maybe you know a fellow magician who would let you "borrow" a few large props for a fee. Many magic companies also rent props as part of their services.

When I first started in the illusion game, I would book large shows and incorporate prop rental fees into the budget.

Hope this helps...

Ray
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
That's always a possiblity. Thanks for the suggestion, Ray.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
JAEIII,
Ray has Great advice! This is your best bet. However, I have a routine from my show, back when I was performing, which plays big, big enough for 10,000 people, has a funny ending and will cost you about $$50 to make. It is based on an OLD trick but with a better handling and routine. I have performed this for years and have had Killer response but you will freak when you discover what I "re-invented". If you have an interest, PM me and I will let ya in on it...but you may owe me a favor Smile
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I have sent you a private message, Chance! Thanks!
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Theres many surroundable illusions. You just have not looked hard enough. Perhapse a consultant like Jim Steinmeyer may be able to suit your tastes. good luck

Jim Steinmeyer
J.H.S. Productions, Inc.
514 South Parish Place
Burbank, California 91506 USA

Phone: (818) 846-2802 ~ Fax: (818) 563-1757

E-Mail: info@jimsteinmeyer.com
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Yeah, there are plenty of them, Reedrc. I should have clarified. I have found many. I just haven't found a lot I would care to perform. Call me picky Smile I've found a few more while researching I think I might consider. Thanks!
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
115 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
If you want to spend some money, Origami,Slicer,mini cube zag,Blaney's great escape(any sword box would work, but this has class),Blammo,lights fantastic,a fire cage,squeeze box, twister, mismade girl... too many to mention.

An illusion to perform with the political figure... I like the Bow sawing.

RONALD R. ROMISKI
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
It may cost 15 or so grand to have Ryan develop something for you. But, trust me every Penny is worth it! His work is absolutely amazing! Nothing but the best quality. And most everything can be performed surrounded. Best of all he has some original and innovative ideas that are going to take the magic community by storm. That will also literally leave audiences gasping for more.

I am working on funding my new show. As soon as everything goes thru I am giving Ryan a call. I loved his work with JB.

Like he said though if it's in your budget go for it. Or you could do work with your employer to split the cost. Just an idea for you.

It really all depends on what you want and your budget for the illusions.

There have been some good suggestions. Renting a illusion is a wonderful idea. And I'm sure you can find something that fits your needs. I think Gay Blackstone rents illusions. I'm not sire thought I know she sold allot in the auction on ebay. You might want to give her a call.

All the best,
Mike
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Some more great suggestions. Thanks to everyone. I've narrowed it down to what I'll probably do.

Ronald,

I have to agree with you that the Blaney Cabinet is an excellent work of art. Although that is true of everything Walter builds, especially his levitation.

Your other ideas are great as well. One question though. I was under the impression that the SQUEEZE BOX could only be performed by Copperfield, Andre Kole, and Tim Kole. Am I wrong on this?

Mike,

If I had 15 grand to spear, I would probably be working with Ryan. Unfortunately I don't have quite that much Smile

Thanks again for everyones help. More suggestions are always welcome!
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I was also under the same impression. You could ask him if you want.

Usually anything that DC gets from Andre he gives him and his son the rights. But you never know.

I think we all whish we had 15 g's to spare!

Mike
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Just to verify folks it DOES NOT cost 15K to develop magic with My company. Final product in fabrication may, however we design at VERY competitive prices....Typiclly 1,200 to 1,800 per project. Thanks,

Ryan
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
115 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
Well, To be honest I am not sure if this is now exclusively used by Copperfield or not. It has been around long before Copperfield began performing it. Sigfried & Roy have been doing it for quite some time, and I'm sure I've seen it done in other Television specials as well. However, tis the case with much of what David performs. Laser in its original form was something anyone could readily buy from Steve Fearson, that is until David began doing it. Now, There is an agreement that it will not be sold to the public. So if Sqeeze Box is not available to the magic community I apologize. I simply did not realize this.

Ronald R. Romiski
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I am really not sure. I want to say I saw a kid performing it on Lance Burton's Kid magic special. Perhaps Andre is selling it out more. Strange because Copperfield still does the squeeze box in his current tour.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need Some Advice??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL