The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Branded by Tim Trono » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Black Tiger
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Black Tiger
I love the sound of Branded, but as a non-smoker I am a bit concerned that people might be suspicious if I pull a lighter out. Obviously this won't matter if I'm performing for strangers, but friends and family will know I don't smoke. Any ideas on how to justify the presence of a lighter on a non-smoker?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 09:52, Black Tiger wrote:
I love the sound of Branded, but as a non-smoker I am a bit concerned that people might be suspicious if I pull a lighter out. Obviously this won't matter if I'm performing for strangers, but friends and family will know I don't smoke. Any ideas on how to justify the presence of a lighter on a non-smoker?

It isn't an effect about smoking, just as the effect goes 'You show a painful looking blister on your thumb from your last attempt at this hazardous stunt. Someone selects a card and concentrates on it while gazing into the flame of your lighter. You pinch the flame and the bubbling blister magically morphs into the configuration of their card', so as you can see, there isn't the talk of anyone being a smoker in the routine
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Hi Black Tiger. I am not a smoker and there is never a problem or suspicion. As Christopher notes it's not about smoking. You use the flame to apparently burn yourself and then can use the flame again (or not) to cause the morphing of the blisters to the card blisters. So I don't think it is an issue at all. If you have any problems with this contact me directly and I'll ensure you are taken care of. Thanks for the interest.

Tim

BTW... off topic... got my copy of the new Regal book yesterday - get it! It's great.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
I'm not a smoker either, but I've been using lighters and cigarettes (unlit) and cigarette paper (flash paper) forever... Nobody has ever questioned it, friends, family, etc...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm not a smoker, but I'm a Magician and carry a lighter ( a brief flame can enhance many effects ). It's never questioned.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Back off track..... I am also a very good friend of Ken Sands.Tim Trano is also a friend and his products are excellent however, making a different gimmick does not make the effect different,Yes the gimmick is a improvement but it is still the same effect as PP. a double lift is a double lift no matter how one gets to it...
\ Tillar did invent the blister but it was Ken and Brent that used a playing card.
my two cents.
vinny
the godfather oif magic
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Vinsmagic,

Does that mean that once the first person published cards to pocket that nobody else should ever have published a different version of it?

Should Paul Harris not have published "Galaxy" because it's a different method for the same effect as Out of This World?

I know this probably sounds combative, but I'm actually genuinely curious what your opinion is on these questions?

Thanks...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
J I hear you and I am not saying that Branded should not be released..I know for a fact that Ken nad Gregory are good fiends and Ken asked that Branded not be published,because the effect was same except for the gimmick.
My opinion is this, two friends should respect one another..\\
thanks
vinny
ps \
remember a rose is still a rose no matter what one calls it
and I hope branded does well it is a great effect
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Black Tiger
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Black Tiger
Thanks to everyone, especially Tim, for the reassurances regarding the non-smoker issue. Branded is on my wish list now. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 19:25, vinsmagic wrote:
Back off track..... I am also a very good friend of Ken Sands.Tim Trano is also a friend and his products are excellent however, making a different gimmick does not make the effect different,Yes the gimmick is a improvement but it is still the same effect as PP. a double lift is a double lift no matter how one gets to it...
\ Tillar did invent the blister but it was Ken and Brent that used a playing card.
my two cents.
vinny
the godfather oif magic

Vinny, Brent Walske neither asked permisson, nor credited anyone before releasing Pyro Perception. Considering that, I find it interesting that he is now up in arms over Branded being released ( and Branded has the endorsement of the creator of the blistering effect ).

Tim's dotted the i's and crossed the t's before releasing Branded. He did all the things Brent Walske didn't do.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Vinny, using your thinking, in 1986 Eric Mason was the FIRST to release the card blister effect titled “Stigma”. I am happy to send you a copy of the text, graphics, etc. to substantiate this. In 2002, Pyro Perception was released by Brent Walske. Same effect, different gimmick. Eric Mason was first period. No credit or acknowledgement was made to Mr. Mason at the time of release or after the fact. So for Ken and Brent to say they “own” the effect is simply not historically accurate. The fact that Ken and Brent chose to ignore Eric Mason’s creation and Jack Tillar’s creation doesn’t make Mason and Tillar's creations not real. Then they choose to ignore the changes, improvements, etc. with Branded and jump up and down and advise it is the same effect (which it is not and which they don’t own anyway). I know Jack Tillar is furious about never even having been asked about Pyro Perception but I guess that’s OK?

Also, I can cite hundreds and hundred of examples where an effect comes out and new and possibly better (sometimes not even better) methods come out. Look at the many variations that have been released of 3 Fly (Kenner), of Easy Money (Patrick Page), of Linking Cards (Paul Harris), etc. etc. Let’s take one of these as an example. Patrick Page has Easy Money out. Fred Kaps changes the gimmick to make the change more visible and releases it as Flash Cash. Greg Wilson releases Hundy 500- same effect but in the opinion of many with all due respect to Patrick Page it is better. Then Heiny 500 comes out and takes it up a step beyond Hundy 500, and then Extreme Burn comes out and takes it a step up beyond Heiny 500. Don’t you think when Heiny 500 came out that that negatively effected sales of Hundy 500? Absolutely it did. Don’t you think when Extreme Burn came out it negatively affected sales of Heiny 500? Absolutely it did. I know Ken sells Heiny 500 in his shop. But I guess that is OK? But in the examples cited the creator felt (as do I) that the effects were taken to a new higher level. That’s how magic improves period. Does it hurt the sales of the item prior… the unfortunate answer is yes. Will something better than Branded come out and eventually hurt the sales of Branded… most likely yes. But again, if the magic gets better than it is justifiable. I can sleep at night knowing I did my due diligence and gave historically accurate credit. I don’t know if Ken and Brent can as they chose not to do the homework or to acknowledge anyone (even after the fact from my conversation with them when they acknowledged finding out about Eric Mason – their instructions still do not reflect Eric Mason or Jack Tillar). You as a creator improve and release items all of the time, Vinny. Same effects - new methods. When you put out Warped and Restored did you get approval from Roy Walton? I’d guess not as you felt your routine was an improvement in method over the original. I don’t think at is fair or accurate to look at this too narrowly, not consider the big picture, ignore FACTS, and write your own account of history. I know Greg was very disturbed that his friends Ken and Brent chose to ignore facts chose not to look at the reality of the situation, tried to leverage their friendship to put pressure on me to drop this, etc. Quite frankly the decision to release this or not was not Greg’s however. Greg provided tremendous input and help and I am forever grateful. But this is my release and I looked at it over and over to ensure it was ethically correct in every facet – I was 100% comfortable to continue.

I think there are 2 factors why Branded is an improvement and thus a legitimate and ethically sound release: 1) it’s a better method (gimmick) and 2) it IS a change in effect though Ken and Brent doesn’t want to talk about this. You can’t pick and choose FACTS to make an argument.

Tim
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of toberman
I think that the debate about the ethics regarding the release of Branded should be taken to another thread or, more appropriately, off line. This has been a very useful discussion with great ideas and information. Lets keep it on track.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Hi Terry. I agree. I just want to present FACTS if someone chooses to publicly present inaccurate or non facts. I am happy to have ANYONE contact me directly at timtrono@aol.com I am happy to provide facts, discuss concerns, etc. Back on topic....

Tim
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
I've been doing strolling magic for a looooong time, and over the years, I've come to the point where I pretty much don't like to carry anything with me... Usually a deck and a few coins and maybe a couple of gaffed cards in my shirt pocket... that's it.

For some of the coin stuff I do, I carry a lighter, plus I carry the PP gimmick... The thing that excites me (besides the improvements) is that I'll have one less thing in my pockets...

A strolling-magician's dream... woooooo hoooooooooo!
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Hi Tim,

I have this on order and wish you the best of luck with the effect, sounds like a killer.

I have carried PP for a long time and love it, this seems like a logical and viable step forward in the evolution of Jack Tillar's blister trick.

PS - for anyone wishing to learn a little more about the card blister effect from Eric Mason circa 1986 http://cardopolis.blogspot.com/2006_07_02_archive.html
Tony Chapparo
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Thanks for the support Tony. If you have ANY problems, questions, concerns, etc. after you get this feel free to contact me directly at timtrono@aol.com. I want to ensure all purchasers both retail and wholesale are completely happy.

Thanks.

Tim
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Quote:
On 2008-05-01 16:13, Tony Chapparo wrote:
PS - for anyone wishing to learn a little more about the card blister effect from Eric Mason circa 1986 http://cardopolis.blogspot.com/2006_07_02_archive.html

Wow, in 22 years the effect has come a long way! And the Blister Book is definitely a great resource for other ideas, tips and thoughts on the blister premise...
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Yes see http://www.murphysmagic.com/Blister-Book......lar-Book for more info on this book. Get it from your favorite dealer. It's great.

Tim
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I spoke to the replicator the other day and replication is done on Branded… they are just putting the gimmicks in the cases and shrink-wrapping them thus it should be very soon. My guess is they will ship out this week and be available from your favorite dealer soon. I am very excited about Branded but have to say I think it will be an incredible month for some exciting new products in addition to Branded.

Ben Harris just shipped out The Enlightenment to Murphy’s May 1, 2008 so it will be with your favorite dealer soon. I think after people see and play with this it will set the standard in levitation and suspensions. It’s one of those items you almost have to have in hand to “feel” the magic. It’s really quite incredible when the spectator grabs the levitating card out of mid air and then you immediately set it down to levitate again. This is one of those effects you do where it feels to YOU like real magic as you do it.

The new David Blaine Split Spade Lion decks just arrived at Murphy’s and are incredible both in design, feel, and use. I consider David a true friend and I know he is a real perfectionist. He’s so incredibly insightful that those who get to truly know him are amazed. Even David with his ultra high standards simply fell in love with the finished product. He’s spent months and months designing these and examining every detail. He has a special agreement with US Playing Card Company not to share the process for these cards with any other producer and they feel and handle unbelievably. We have been working on a deck of various cool gimmicked cards to go with this deck. Don’t miss out on these cards. I see all of the various new decks and in my opinion this is by far the best anyone has produced period.

Coming out in about a week or so is the new Jeff McBride 3 DVD set Magic at the Edge. This will surely gain a reputation as the best production L&L has ever done with segments filmed at Burning Man, etc. The short of this set is Jeff believes (and I’d whole heartily agree) that a true magician should be able to do magic 24/7. Jeff gave a great lecture titled 24/7 and this DVD is an off shoot of that. Far too often when we study impromptu magic we allow the quality of it to go down a notch justifying that by the impromptu nature (certainly there are exceptions such as Wayne Houchin’s Coin in Can, etc.). Jeff feels the magic should be miracles and it doesn’t need to be impromptu (ex. Thumb tip, preparation, etc.) but should seem like it. I was fortunate enough to have Jeff share a few pieces from the DVDs with me last time I was in Vegas and there are some just killer ideas from the few pieces I saw.

Coming in mid May is a new DVD titled Money by Jay Noblezada. The basic idea of this DVD is right in line with Jeff’s thinking as noted above. Jay also feels you should always be able to do miracles and that one thing we always have with us all of the time is our wallet, our money. So Jay picked out 4 of the very best bill effects that he uses and carries around with him all of the time and features these in great detail. There are also a ton of bonus ideas. I’ve been fortunate enough to see the four feature bill effects and they are all really amazing, not difficult, and will surely all find a place in your wallet. I know they’ll be in my wallet. The DVD features the 3-D graphics used in Greed to assist in instruction and Jay’s usual great detail to attention in teaching. In addition, the producer, Penguin Magic, will be offering an amazing promotional idea that I won’t tip right now but just watch for it. I am sure it will have people talking.

Psyche by Andrew Gerard is at the replicators and will be done in about 10 days. Andrew told me about this and I immediately became intrigued so when he sent the DVD in for the duplicator I took a sneak peak. WOW! I am a huge fan of the bending coin plot and have studied just about every version out there. This is certainly one of the best and the ideas in this can be used with John Sheets’ Quantum Bender, David Penn’s Coinvexed, etc. Psyche is really amazing. It’s a signed coin bend that does not require a bender (OK I’m not telling you the whole story but it’s SO good) and again I predict this is something people will always carry with them and USE. This is one item Andrew carries with him all of the time and does all of the time. Really some great thinking and not difficult.

Tube by Jason Messina goes to the printer any day and thus should also be ready this month. Jason came in to Murphy’s and demoed this to myself and several very knowledgeable magicians and smoked us. With the popularity of the iPhone and Youtube this will surely find a place in the repertoire of many magicians and mentalists. As I noted on another post http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......m=218&41 the concepts Jason shares in Tube will undoubtedly spark many many very creative ideas, effects, etc. Almost instantly after Jason tipped some of the basic ideas we started brainstorming on new effects, ideas, etc. It’s really ingenious.

Jay Sankey will be releasing a DVD late May that will surely become one of his best sellers and a standard. I can’t tip details at this point but it is one I am very excited about this. It will be a benchmark like his Paperclip DVD.

I am a big fan of Bob Sheets. Bob is a good friend and a fabulous thinker. If you have not yet purchased his three new DVDs Bob Does Hospitality you are missing out. These DVDs contain the material Bob uses to making a living with. His CSB routine is to use the over used phrase “worth the price of the DVDs”. I am also a big fan of the Linking Pin effect (ex. Dreamweaver, etc.). Bob and Dan Garrett teamed up to produce Grab That Pinhead (With Props) DVD. In this DVD, Dan tips all of the touches and work on his Linking Pin effect and Bob shares all of the touches he has added after years and years of using this effect on the streets, at festivals, etc.

Ted Brainard (Kozmo Magic) has a ton of new releases filmed including new single trick DVDs by Lonnie Chevrie (great stuff), Paul Green (one of the best card warp endings out there), Eric Jones, Justin Miller, etc. If you have not yet seen Reel Magic Quarterly you are missing out on the biggest bargains in magic. This is a DVD magazine and the various interviews (Paul Harris, Jason Alexander, Jay Sankey, Bill Malone, etc.) will help you become a better magician.

Lastly James Clark and Black’s Magic have some really amazing DCVD projects in the pipeline. In addition James has a new “look” to his magazine that I am sure will make people really happy and take it to a whole new level. That’s all I can say at this point. James has also brought on a bunch of new talent that you may not have heard of but all with amazing ideas.

As mentioned at the start of this, Branded should be coming along any day. Everyone I have shown this to in person (some of the most respected names in magic) has wanted it. I think you will USE it and my buddy Greg Wilson did a fabulous job on the accompanying instructional DVD (as I was out for the count with a leg injury). I just can’t emphasize how easy this is and what an incredibly strong reaction it gets from spectators. It fits into line with Jeff McBride’s thinking as noted above… something you can easily carry with you all of the time and hit them hard.

The amazing thing is these are just “some” of the releases coming up that I have personally already seen all or parts of. I am sure I am missing many. It’s going to be an incredible summer of magic.

Tim Trono
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Thanks to Tim for the mention of Grab That Pinhead! soon to be released by me and Bob Sheets and distributed through Murphy's Magic. We had fun doing the DVD shoot with Monte Johnson (the best in the business). Slight delays in post production have cropped up (Monte is super busy right now), but look for this release soon.

I've seen the new David Blaine cards. (Bill Kalush showed them to me at G4G8 in Atlanta a month ago.) They are amazing quality. If you are a card worker, it's a no-brainer. Get them!

Now I'm going to throw a monkey in the wrench about Branded. I've not seen Branded or Pyro, but as fast as blister type effect go, does anyone remember Michael Weber's 'Thinkerprint' published in 'my' issue of M-U-M some 20 years ago, and subsequently in my lecture notes "CloseUp Connivery #2" (which also included the first printed version of PinDemonium, as seen on my CloseUp Connivery DVD and soon to be updated as Grab That Pinhead!). Anyway, Thinkerprint was a blister effect that didn't use the blister per se. The magician allowed an ESP symbol to be freely selected and then almost immediately made an impression of his or her fingerprint on the back of his business card. In the lines of the fingerprint could be clearly seen the chosen ESP symbol! No pocket work, the gaff was hidden on the bottom of the ink pad, and it was easy to make this up yourself. You had the option to show the blister or not, but the fingerprint gave a permanent record of the effect (on the back of your business card!) which they can keep.

A few years later Weber showed me an improvement which he had made into a deck of cards, so that you could do the same effect with a card index on your finger.

I wonder how similar these are to yours, Tim? I couldn't say for sure until I saw the newer versions.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Branded by Tim Trono » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL