The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg- Will it work with a bigger silk? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
This may seem like a ridiculous question; however, I'd rather get input before rushing out to purchase a product only to find I'm back where I started...

I've been performing the Silk to Egg for quite a while and would like to replace the silks I've been using with better silks. I'm currently using a 12" silk and would like to bump up to an 18" silk. My dilemma is the TT. What is the best silk to use for this... I mean... as far as weight and ability to fit in the TT. I've thought about using a diamond cut silk as they look a lot bigger without as much effort to compress them into the TT.

I am aware of the routines without the help of a TT and my question is not about that- for those of you who like to give advice on performing something different. I'm comfortable with the routine I am using... I just need to get better silks...

Thanks for the help!

-Bryan Gilles
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Bryan,

Talk to Bob Sanders here at the Café. He's the expert when it comes to this. I believe (although I may be mistaken) that he can do this with a much larger silk.

All the best,

Rob
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

The 18" square silk is the "normal" size silk used for silk to egg for many reasons. The more logical reason is simply because it links so well to other silk tricks and those are usually in 18" size.

(Reality is, that many of the "packaged" tricks that do not use at least 18" silks are frankly sold more to EXPOSE how the trick works than to provide props that make it presentable to an audience. Then the poor buyer has to replace the parts of the trick props with something to actually present to an audience. Yes, it is a rip-off! But it takes a while for a new magician to catch on to the value differences between investing in a magic library and spending money on a small box or blister pack of pegboard displayed "magic".)

Once upon a time, the 18" silk was used because it was closer to the size of a man's handkerchief or table napkin. Of course, shoe buttons were also used in magic! (Look at the ends of a rising wand.) Life has changed.

The reasons today for using an 18" as the base size is because:

1. It is still large enough to be easily seen. NEVER Forget that Magic is about the EYE!

2. The vast majority of prop sets for silk magic tricks that are of sufficient quality to actually use in a show, are also made with 18" silks and that allows for building magic routines rather than just a string isolated "tricks". (The silk or silks left in your hand can be used in the next effect adding professional flow to your show.)

3. Up to about that size, you pay more for the hem (if it's a good one) than you do for the silk material. The prices are very reasonable. You actually get more for your money! (An 18" silk is 400% as large as a 9" silk but should only cost about 83% more. In your case, an 18" silk is 225% the size of a 12" but should only cost 37.5% more!)

4. Matching the colors of better silks years later, are much more likely than ever matching the colors of cheaper silks again. (Once more the difference between investing in your props and show or just spending money.)

Back to Silk to Egg

The 18" size silk should be the minimum for Silk to Egg. Good prop sets will actually take a 24" pure silk without a problem. Also, the ceramic ones will hold a 24" Diamond Cut (REAL) silk and those appear to be a 36" square silk!

Your second concern was for a TT. First, those are not necessary to do Silk to Egg and conversely, some pros use the gimmicked ceramic egg AS The TT because:

1. It is easier to manipulate,
2. Will easily take a 24" square silk, and
3. Anyone would rather be caught with an Egg than a TT.

Also brown ceramic gimmicked eggs are available and they --- Don't Flash!

Please do move up to a larger silk. The minimum of an 18" comes with good egg props. You can use 24" real silks.

Bonus: Why not use 24" silks and produce the real egg? Then have a matching PRINTED 24" silk from a previously shown empty container. The printed silks are available with matching backgrounds and you can have cards, Butterflies, Dragons, etc. when the silk reappears.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
If you did want to continue using a TT. The King size TT from Vernet will easily vanish an 18" silk.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The best king size TT I ever had came from a manufacturer in Texas who no longer produces them. I liked the flared top! You could actually reach the bottom with a finger.

Using the egg give much more cargo space and allows bending the thumb and/or fingers at the joints which is not available to king size TT users. The flexibility allows manipulation moves for both cigarettes and balls. That gives a lot of freedom!

In the last 25 years, the only time I ever use a king size TT is to float a glass.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1670 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Good topic-

Like Bob as a regular user of Silk to Egg in clubs & theatre- I use an 18 or 24 inch Red Diamond shape silk
which if you use a Vernet Jumbo TT vanishes easily

cheers

-Brent
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Diamond cut silks are measured by the hemmed edge. On that is an 18" looks like a 24" square but is perfect for a Silk to Egg (vanish).

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg- Will it work with a bigger silk? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL