The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dances with Rope - Old dogs learn new tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you know me well you know that I don't recommend a new video or DVD every five years. They are generally a very poor substitute to attending the lecture. (I still believe that!)

However, Dances with Rope from Magic Ian is a different ball game. It is actually fresh material! The vast majority of DVDs I've seen are repeats of DVDs I've seen. This one is a keeper.

I won't spoil this one for you. But if you are sincerely ready to break new ground in rope magic. This one gives you the old tricks except with the impossible endings!

Magic Ian is out doing a few lectures. Catch him if you can.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
To the recipients of my new Dances with Ropes effect. Each time I have gotten an order, I have sent out the latest version. I now have a version for virtually each month since January of this year. It has gotten out of hand.

The basic routine was created due to requests from magicians who like my Professor Ian's nightmare where I hand out three equal length ropes.
http://magicians.podbean.com/professors-nightmare/

It was a short routine but a killer unexpected ending.

The requests came in for a version of doing that effect anytime during the act (that original version can only be an opener).

I had a couple of ways to accomplish that, using completely different methods.
This came first:
http://magicians.podbean.com/first-dance-with-rope/

The First Dances with Ropes (as a complete piece) featured a flash nightmare then a restoration, then an actual stretch of the ropes which allowed me to show all three lengths separate and long. The linking ropes followed by using only two ropes which visibly change to three, then back to small medium and long.

http://magicians.podbean.com/dances-with-rope/

Since that, I have added three additional professors nightmare moves.

The video I am sending out now, has the original "Dances" routine, then a segment from my old lecture using a change bag with linking ropes. Then I include two additional segments from lectures on the "Dances" with new "steps".

Also included is a simpler stage presentation where only some of the elements are used but in a very effective routine. This was shot in April, 08.

http://magicians.podbean.com/villages-2008/

So, to all of those magicians who had received early versions of my effect, I need you to contact me for an update. All versions and updates have been stacked into the latest final DVD.

-------------Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Ray Ouellette
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
111 Posts

Profile of Ray Ouellette
Excellent work Ian. I love rope magic and PN. I am looking forward to this DVD. Your PN finale is a real fooler.
"Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice"
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Brilliant work Ian! You've woven the two effects together in a masterful; and more importantly, magical manner.

kotah
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Four stars Ian! You forced me to dig up my set of linking ropes.

Truly innovative thinking!

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Although any set of linking ropes will work, I am using a relatively inexpensive set which I include when people buy "Dances with Ropes". The set is nice and thick, and is hollow core polished cotton. The ropes are also quite longer than most sets. I believe they are comparable in size to the the Euro-rope or Elegant rope. (They alone only sell for $7 plus shipping, but are included with the Dances DVD package at $39.99 delivered.)
---------
Although Linking Ropes is only part of the Dance, a good set will make the difference. I do have an advanced (more difficult) version of Dances which does not need a linking ropes set at all, but since it looks absolutely identical in performance, I found it only good for purists and not for anyone with even the slightest bit of arthritis.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4883 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I watched the trailer - very good rope magic.

http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/vide......DEO1.wmv
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 02:09, Kjellstrom wrote:
I watched the trailer - very good rope magic.

http://murphysmagicsupplies.com/video/cl......DEO1.wmv

new trailer, released yesterday, is the latest version of "Dances with ropes", and the first time this has reached an audience
other than on the Café.
That newest version, includes the ungimmicked linking ropes as well.
It includes, several new methods for PN, plus a "Patriotic" red/white/blue version.
4 different original routines.

The older demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8JJvmZ1TI
is a shorter routine.

The full ad: with comments from themagiccafe members.
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=44919

order direct at: http://www.rope.ws
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Exciting stuff for any serious rope worker ! Of that there is no doubt. Magic Ian breathes new life into old classics; and for that we all are better off.

Thank you sir. Please continue to magish.

Kotah
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
758 Posts

Profile of leondo
"Dances With Ropes"....1st class material and 1st class service!
Thanks Ian.
Ted L
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2070 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

If you have Ian's earlier version of "Dances With Ropes," you need to contact him for the updated DVD. You'll be glad you did. The addition of his new variations for Professor's Nightmare alone are well worth your time and effort. The video for Dances and the Linking Rings has been re-shot and the explanations are as clear as can be.

If you do not own "Dances With Ropes," you are missing a clever, very visual, and well-routined gem. If you've never thought of putting a rope routine in your show, "Dances With Ropes" may well change your mind.

Regards, Steve
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 10:33, yachanin wrote:
Hi All,

If you have Ian's earlier version of "Dances With Ropes," you need to contact him for the updated DVD. You'll be glad you did. The addition of his new variations for Professor's Nightmare alone are well worth your time and effort. The video for Dances and the Linking Rings has been re-shot and the explanations are as clear as can be.

If you do not own "Dances With Ropes," you are missing a clever, very visual, and well-routined gem. If you've never thought of putting a rope routine in your show, "Dances With Ropes" may well change your mind.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Steve, your feedback is always welcome. The "Linking Rings" is really "Linking Ropes" that was re-shot. But some of the moves for that are Linking Ring moves, as the mis-direction is similar.
You had gotten one of the very first copies of the effect, and many of the buyers had gotten the updates since then. Before going National, I had about four different and progressive versions of the moves in the effect. The National release is the most refined version plus it includes the un-gimmicked Linking Ropes along with the Professor's nightmare fore and after play.
Earlier versions had some of the show performances on the DVD, but since all of those are on youtube, the Final Cut of the National release of Dances with Ropes, now available at any shops serviced by Murphy magic, is trim and effective and I am also pleased with the Video work. The video was done in Hi-def and dropped down to standard definition and the result is very crisp.
There is more to come, so thanks to all of my supporters. I am doing a workshop on rope as part of my lectures, so contact me if your club wants to get involved.
-Ian
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2070 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Ian,

Yes, I meant linking "ropes" Smile

Regards, Steve
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The "Dances with Ropes" has been getting better than great response. I have had requests for this "rope Dance" lecture and rope workshop.
I have a "flight deal" until Oct 8th, and if your club or local shop would like to sponsor the lecture, have them contact me at magicians@aol.com
Due to the low flight price, there will be very reasonable fees for the lecture, and unlike most lecture tours, I do not need to book more than one lecture in an area.
--------
Murphy's magic now carries the DVD and distributes the effect to shops, so a shop can benefit from the "aftersale".
If your club is low on funds, this is a great way to make some money as well and get a great lecture.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Are you still doing lectures after Oct 8th? Washington DC area
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 07:26, eddierush wrote:
Are you still doing lectures after Oct 8th? Washington DC area

Yes, I am booking now for the coming year, or sooner if needed. I will be in the Northeast in April. Open to go anywhere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dances with Rope - Old dogs learn new tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL