The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » VH1 Cadabra Celebrity Magician Show. Good for magic or... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1585765&vid=225914

VH1 has a new show, you can watch the premiere at this link (I am in no way associated with VH1)
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Looks like it will be both good and bad at the same time.

They have some great talent on the magic side - Silly Billy, etc...

The "star talent" is where I think they went south... I would rather have seen normal average people instead of B rated "stars".

I just hope it doesn't get too "Big Brother-ish" and holds true to a magic focus.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
B rated? Most of those would have to climb to make the D list. Let's just hope they don't expose tricks in the reality of showing the celebrities learning.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
I've watched the show on VH1 and I'm glad to see they don't focus on giving away the secrets, at least for this first show. There task was to do street magic so the focus was more on performance, demonstration of magic skill, ability to get people, etc.

Agreed about the B-List celebrities. I'm sure they brought "Ant" in for the !@#$% factor and stir things up.
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
The Good:
It will definitely raise the sales of any tricks performed on the show. Will probably get a lot of people interested in performing magic.

The Bad:
There will be a bunch of people out there that will research the tricks to find out how they are done. This means if you already own those tricks and perform them, more people will probably know how they're done.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
This means if you already own those tricks and perform them, more people will probably know how they're done.

This has been discussed again and again and IMO it just ain't that big a deal!
About a year ago one of the gals that works for me told me she now knows the salt shaker through the table trick from a recent MindFreak episode......... so I brought out a shot glass, added a coin to the mix and did the exact same method. However, due to my handling and mix up of the props she was totally blown away and said that my way was sooooooooo much cooler and that what she thought she knew about CA's trick was completly dispelled by mine! LOL It's all in how ya play the game!

Oh and as for the show..... I just watched the clip from the VH1 site and I got a good chuckle out of it!
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Wow, I finally watched the video, those really are D list celebrities.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
The thing that I didn't like was Ant heckling the other performers. If I was his coach I would smack the stupid out of him. I hope this doesn't degenerate into Survivor with alliances and the like.

Post Script. Silly Billy is the MAN!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you smacked the stupid out of him there'd be nothing left.

Jim
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Amen Jim! I hope there will be a special episode where the other celebrities will combine their "powers" to make ant disappear. Personally I'd like to throw knives at him blindfolded while wearing earplugs. Smile
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
magicp
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of magicp
I saw this video of Carnie Wilson on Celebracadbra today. I know I have just started too but she is really, really bad (almost as bad as she is at keeping off weight).

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnothe......de=reply
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
The D List celebrities are a real turn off. I think I only heard of that Kittycat Dolls Hottie. The rest I am like.." who?" Then again, it may just be the demographic of the target audience. Younger than I am.

All in all I think it's Positive, since it gets people talking about Magic. Personally I would have loved to see a Lance Burton TV Special, or " World's Greatest Magicians" again. But as someone once said. " There's no such thing as bad publicity." Anything that gets magic in people's minds is good for us.

1. More spectators watching.
2. More Magicians performing.

Someone said to me that membership in IBM, and SAM may be dropping. If the art is to continue we need to get the next generation involved. VH-1 Targets that generation.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Jeff McBride has granted at least two phone interviews that are available online. Don't judge the show quite yet. There are some great moments to come.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
Now that Ant is off the show, along with all his drama, they can get back to the magic.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 14:45, Loopback wrote:
...smack the stupid out of him...

Gotta admit, I've never heard that phrase before, but it is one I'll remember!!

So far, I've enjoyed the first two episodes. I do think that people with no magical background who buy the dvds to "learn magic in minutes" will be disappointed!
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
I agree Ant had to go.

In general I've liked the two shows but I was disappointed of what they let go on in the kid show. Ant's stunt at the end could have really hurt some one.

I think the celebs should have freedom to express tghemselves but ultimately the show should have the final say as to whether the act will be performed.
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I thought the first episode was really good. but once they started to advertise ellusionist in the second one, it just seemed like a way for them to make money to me.
and the crappy celebs really wreck the show. hopefully the show'll stick around long enough for some REAL celebs to be interested. I knew rocco and the pussy cat doll.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Would it not have been funny, if Ant had stayed and whoever had the magic power for winning broke up the teams and it ended up being Silly Billy as Ant's coach? I know Silly Billy doesn't dress like the typical clown with the face paint and everything, but he's close enough to a clown where Ant's phobia would have caused disruption in the lesson. When Ant first mentioned his clown phobia, I thought that was how they were going to get rid of him...partner him with Silly Billy!
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
As nice as it would have been to have seen Ant with Silly Billy, two things kind of rubbed me the wrong way about him. Besides the obvious drama queen mentality, and conspiracy alliance thing he had going. The way he went for cheap laughs with the funnel on the little girl... that was so not an accident, and totally innapropriate, and his endangering kids with that stupid.." Who wants candy!" schtick. After those 2 events in my mind it stopped being about Ant. And it became about his representation of magicians. While he is not a magician in our minds, who is to say what impression the lay public would have if we allowed those things to continue?

If it had not been for either I would have kept him on, and used my power to team him up with " mushroom *** hat." And ya, his face even without make up, has a clownlike quality to it.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » VH1 Cadabra Celebrity Magician Show. Good for magic or... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL