The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Not that i condone it... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
I was wondering if anyone of us, i.e. myself, find that you perform magic for others under the influence, and if so, what is the reaction? Smile
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have a very simple rule in terms of performing. When I’m working, I don’t drink. When I’m drinking, I don’t work. No exceptions.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
I don't drink when performing - ever. I don't know how a person could possibly be at their best when under the influence.

I see that a lot of comics carry a drink out on stage. To me this is unprofessional. They must feel otherwise (and everyone is open to their own thoughts) but unless there is a reason for the drink I think it is inappropriate.

Paul Daniels has done several wonderful routines involving drinks over the years. They are part of the routine and add to the entertainment. Same could go for pouring a drink from the multiplying bottles. But if it isn't there for a reason I feel it is inappropriate.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
This is something I would never do in a professional situation. I have on occasion performed for friends after I had 'had a few'. The great thing is, it is possible to amaze yourself!!

Heres a wee story illustrating waht I am saying. When I worked at a nightclub (as a barman, not as a magician) a few of the employees (including myself) had just finished a shift and were settling down for an after work get together. One of the guys called a barwoman over (a new and unsuspecting employee - hahahahaha) and made a bargain with her. If I could guess her card, she would shout us a round! Needless to say I guessed her card, and we got a free round. From memory (a slightly hazy memory!) we got 4 free rounds that night, and by the end of it I was as surprised as everyone else when I got the card right!!

All I did that night was perform very simple forces. The sort of thing that you might say you could 'do in your sleep'. I would never try anything complex or anything that I was not confident with as the risk of exposing the method is far greater when you are intoxicated.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
I am not suggesting that I drink while or before a gig, all I am saying is, like Chris, around friends that know you do magic. I have fun when I'm out with friends and they use me as the guy to go over and initiate the discussion when they are too shy to talk to the group of girls themselves. I usually do a card in beer bottle effect and after that find that we all end up usually either sitting with them for the evening or...

Drink responsibly,
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Drinking while doing paid magic is like drinking while performing any other job. Most places, that will get you fired!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I don't think the question concerned drinking on/prior to a paid gig. Hopefully people have the common sense to avoid that situation.

However there must be a few of you out there that have tried to perform after having 'one too many'.

The thing that I found interesting in the instance I mentioned above was that my hands still knew what to do, even though my head barely knew what was happening!

(OK, so this makes me sound like a drunkard, but just for the record, I don't drink often, which is probably why a few free drinks made me feel so gone!)
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
I always practise the pass and second dealing when drinking. For some reason it looks so much better then...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Magic while at the bar and after a drink or two... sure, why not? When the audience is good and drunk, they can be more receptive. If you do visual or cognitivly demanding effects, however, the amazement will be as dulled as the audience. As to performing while drunk... for me, just not a good idea. In fact, I find that even if feeling 'very comfortable,' my skills as a person are dulled.
"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of her bra!" and bad things happen. Smile
Just my two pints. -Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Jon,

Great point! Part of magic is playing to the crowd. If your judgment is not up to standard then you could find yourself in a very embarassing/difficult situation!

As for the reactions of the audience when they are drunk...I have seen normally squeamish ladies sitting at a table eating chips (fries - depends where you live!) while the man next to them vomited on the table (the joys of working in nightclubs!) Talk about dulled senses!!
Ryan
View Profile
New user
Calgary
89 Posts

Profile of Ryan
Be warned. I went through about four loops one night while drinking, and those things are expensive. I couldn't find them on my arm, and when I did gently pull on up in preparation for the trick, SNAP!
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
HA...I shook someone's hand once with my TT still on, not long after I performed a trick with it....needless to say, I had been drinking. Now, I don't even carry "magic items" if I know I'll be drinking.
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I've found trying to practice after you have had a few very revealing. Small details get forgotten, lifts get flubbed, your fingers seem thicker, etc. Fortunately I have tried this enough times after returning home a little tipsy to know never to try it in front of an audience.

I have performed for some very inebriated audiences and noticed a few things you have to watch for. One is that their attention span is MUCH shorter, so anything with a lot of preamble is usually a bad idea. Long patter gets shortened to a couple of phrases you can yell if you have to. Another is that their reactions are slower than a conventional audience. You have to allow an extra second or so for their gaze / attention to shift. This can be important if you rely on timed misdirection, because they may be inadvertently burning your dirty hand because they just haven't had time to shift their eyes yet.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Not that i condone it... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL