The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What razor do you use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I was a thinking about this as I was shaving this morning, what does everyone else use? I am currently using a Schick Quattro razor. It works pretty well, minimal razor burn & no nicking or cutting.

Also, any recommendations for shaving creams, after shave lotions or balms is welcome.I am currently using, Aveeno-Shave-Gel-Ultra-Calming. This is working very well with the razor.

I know this is an odd topic, but I see men with horrible razor burn, nicks & cuts. It makes me wonder how seriously some people take shaving.

Thanks,
Mike
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Odd topic? My friend, this is what we're HERE for!

For about a year and a half I've been using Wilkinson disposables with three blades. Not sure what they're called. Wilkinson, I've found out, is Schick in Europe. I've been thinking about going to the Quattro for a long time.

My skin is very sensitive: I sometimes bleed though haven't cut myself--just bloody razor burn. My dad told me: "Shave in the shower, son", and I've done that ever since. I shave while bathing. It works so well that my shaving cream isn't really important. Nevertheless, what I use is Nivea sensitive skin with Aloe Vera. I like the way it smells.

As for how important this topic might be: about 20 years ago, more or less, I saw this woman on the Donahue show who had made a stock market killing by buying shares in Gillette. She had heard her husband and his friends rave about the new razor (the one with the pivoting head) and thought that if all the men were raving about it, the razor would be a success.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
They used to always say ****, shower, shave in the Marines, but I don't think that's the correct order to do things. You should either shave in the shower or shave before you shower. That way you won't end up like one of those clods walking around with dried shaving cream on their face.

I'm not sure about those lady bics or whatever you guys are using on your legs, here is how a MAN shaves;

http://www.razoredgesystems.com/video_sa......AnAx.mov
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Vandy, that clip made my day!

You know I'm a fan of the movie Major League. I love the scene where the Cuban guy (can't remember his name) is shaving his head with a Bowie knife.

Manly men use BIG blades....
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
BIC
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
One more thing, Vandy: the website with the clip...OH...OH...OH....man o man. Yet another of my obsessions is keeping my knives sharp. Now I've got an entire evening's reading material. Thanks.

You are one cool guy. Have a beer:

:stout:
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Nice video. If I did that, I'd end up with a Sicilian necktie.

I use Gillette Mach 3. I received a free one in the mail years ago and liked it.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I normally use either Mach 3 or the Gillette Fusion. I also shave my head and these really seem to do the trick. However, there is a fascinating article on one of my favorite nonmagic sites called "How to shave like your grandpa." It talks about the proper use of shaving soap and a straight edge razor.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how......grandpa/
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Glad you enjoyed it. I remmebr seeing a picture of Bob Uecker getting a shave with an ax in his book. That's what I was looking for when I found that. They shave with axes at the Lumberjack Olympics or whatever they call it, up in Hayward, WI too.

When I'm not shaving with the dbl bitted ax, I pretty much just use Bics. And Barbasol cream, unless there is some gel or something on sale.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Oh yea! Barbosol foam for me too.

Why the heck do I answer stone's wacky topics. Geez, I'm a sick man.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I shave my head every day. I use a Mach 3 razor. For shaving cream, I use one that is designed for women called Skintimate moisturizing. I think it is the best for a smooth head.

DO
do magic

www.8bom.net
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 15:17, Jaz wrote:
Why the heck do I answer stone's wacky topics. Geez, I'm a sick man.

Hey...I didn't start this one. And I am ASHAMED that I didn't. This is currently my favorite thread in the history of the internet.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Trac-II, although it is getting difficult to find blades for it. When I went to purchase them last month, the blades were more expensive than a new model razor with blades. Perhaps it is time to give up my trusty Gillette, but we have developed a friendship over the past 35 years. My grandfather gave me one.

Tony
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

WOW!~ I expected little or no response to this.

Tony- I saw that a set of 15 blades for the Trac 2 are $30.00, that's pretty steep.

Mike
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Anyone use one of those horrid electric shavers? I never found one that was worth a darn, I haven't even tried one in 20 years.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-23 15:57, Vandy Grift wrote:
Anyone use one of those horrid electric shavers? I never found one that was worth a darn, I haven't even tried one in 20 years.

I have never had any luck with those, they just chew up my face or they don't shave close enough.

Mike
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yeah they are pretty crappy.

Several years ago I had a razor that took a regular cartridge, but the head vibrated. That thing worked great. But it died and I haven't seen anything like it since.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Cheap disposables, and they work just fine.

BUT I recently ran out of shave cream (used to use the old regular kind) and stole a bit of my son's gel-style - wondefull! And it works even better if you let it stay on your face a couple of minutes doing its softening. It does require an extra water-rinse-and-toweloff, but it's really good.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 16:16, rossmacrae wrote:
BUT I recently ran out of shave cream (used to use the old regular kind) and stole a bit of my son's gel-style - wondefull!

I have heard that peanut butter is great for shaving as well. Seriously. Never tried it, kind of expensive for one thing. If you decide to try it, I say go with the creamy not chunky.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Old school, Bic disposable and Barbasol!

Every now and again, I treat myself to a shave at the Barbor shop! Nothing beats a Hot Shave...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What razor do you use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL