The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
621 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Well, any thoughts? I will probably be wanting a hard style tip. Anyone have any brand they like for a realistic thumb tip?

ATG
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like the Vernet hard XL.
I like the Vernet soft regular (which is not that soft; my new favorite).
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Not sure what you mean when you say "realistic." I have a Vernet hard (medium) I picked up from Denny and Lee's Magic Studio, and it works like a charm. Just a standard thumb tip should do you fine if you know how to properly use it... Smile
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I am NOT cheap or frugal. However, I am proud to say...for a bill switch performed dozens of times a week...I have been using the same hard Vernet tip for at least 8 years. It is split at the bottom and quite shiny from use, but it doesn't matter...because it does the job...and it is never "actually" seen....except by me, of course.

Rich
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
This is a funny thread, I think. Who cares what it looks like? NOBODY EVER SEES IT, and if they do, then you're doing it wrong.

I use the Vernet Hard XL...but here's the thing...to prove a point to another Magician, I painted it GREEN!!!!!! Yep...GREEN...even more green than the Café Green. It's the ugliest thing you've ever seen...except YOU NEVER SEE IT!!!

A good TT performer can do whatever he wants and the tip is never seen by the audience. So when I do my TT stuff, I have a green thumb...but nobody ever sees it, and I've never once been busted!

Work on your handling and you'll be fine. I think it's silly to waste money on one of those TTs that have finger prints and a shiny nail.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Lyle is right, any thumb tip will do, even a bright red one. If you use it right, the appearance won't matter. The Vernet is widely available in multi sizes and not at all expensive, pick one.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2233 Posts

Profile of todsky
I disagree. A thumb tip that closely matches the colour, texture and size of your thumb allows for a more free display of the fully open hand all around and is, therefore, more deceptive.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Ehhh...to each their own, I guess. My point was that regardless if it matches your skin tone or if it's plaid...if you no how to handle the prop, then nobody will ever see it.

A TT is not a "secret" much anymore. I think many have seen one due to exposure in movies and on YouTube. Many people ask me how I do stuff without wearing a "fake finger" because they know how it's done...but I don't do it the same way.

Proving my point... Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
I would say: Whatever floats your boat. If a highly realistic TT makes you feel more comfortable and confident, it's probably what you should get. However, I do agree with the above posters; it shouldn't matter.

Quote:
todsky:
I disagree. A thumb tip that closely matches the colour, texture and size of your thumb allows for a more free display of the fully open hand all around and is, therefore, more deceptive.

Maybe slightly OT, but I have a thought about showing the hands empty: Personally, I prefer it to appear slightly casual. I want the audience to notice that my hands are empty without me really bringing attention to it. The reason for this is that if you 'aggressively' keep bringing attention to your empty hands, it will seem strange when you don't do it.

So if I do, say, a TT silk vanish, I keep the focus on the hand from where the silk is vanishing, casually letting them notice that my other hand (wearing the TT) is indeed empty. After all, at this moment in time, the 'magic' hasn't happened yet and they should have no real reason to suspect foul play.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Vernet Soft Regular
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
621 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Quote:
On 2008-04-24 23:24, lylemagic wrote:
This is a funny thread, I think. Who cares what it looks like? NOBODY EVER SEES IT, and if they do, then you're doing it wrong.

I use the Vernet Hard XL...but here's the thing...to prove a point to another Magician, I painted it GREEN!!!!!! Yep...GREEN...even more green than the Café Green. It's the ugliest thing you've ever seen...except YOU NEVER SEE IT!!!

A good TT performer can do whatever he wants and the tip is never seen by the audience. So when I do my TT stuff, I have a green thumb...but nobody ever sees it, and I've never once been busted!

Work on your handling and you'll be fine. I think it's silly to waste money on one of those TTs that have finger prints and a shiny nail.

I think the funniest thing of all about the thread is that Lyle HAS NO IDEA WHAT I'M USING THE TIP FOR, and yet he's telling me to work on my TT handling! Bottom line, I asked about realistic tips for a reason.

A lot of magicians talk about using a 3 dollar thumb tip and how "if you use it right, no one will see it" and pride themselves on their boldness for use of the prop. The point is some of the newer thumb tips are better looking, and there is no reason to hold onto the old ideas unless they work better for you for some reason or you do not find it necessary for the kind of TT work YOU do.

It doesn't have a thing to do with my handling. What it does have to do with is the trick I will be working is one where people look within 6-12 inches of my hand and the tip is highly exposed.

I don't want a $25 thumb tip to fool the 99% of the people that its going to fly right by. I want the $25 thumb tip to fool the 1% of the people who may be more observant and who may potentially point it out to others. People talk about owning their tips for years, and I'm not different. I'm fine spending 25 bucks on a prop that will last me 3-5 years. That works out to about 5 dollars a year. Pretty fair price to have a little added security if you ask me.

Thanks for the input and the time for everyone's responses, but I'm already well versed on the TT.

ATG

P.S. As far as using a green thumb tip, isn't it a little foolish to give yourself a handy cap during your performances? I'm sure you'll roll out a bunch of reasons about it being a challenge, or you think it's funny or something like that, but I know few full time working professionals that find time to take unneeded risks in their work. Also, some of the old masters have proven the point you made to your friend by the exact same means, but I'm sure you knew that. Smile
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

The point I was trying to get across that perhaps got lost in translation was that any old cheap thumb tip will do fine if you know how to use it. If you point it directly at the person for any length of time, you're temptin' fate...but that's on you.

Good luck with whatever you're doing....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
621 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Yeah, that's kinda the deal here. It will be for an extended period of time, roughly a count of 6 seconds. I've never been caught, even by repeat viewers, BUT I'm all about minimizing risk and using the best I can rationally afford.

Also, I agree a cheap tip will work fine for most all TT work.

ATG
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The color doesn't matter, but...if you won't perform with it until you feel comfortable, then look for one that makes you feel good.

And...get Alex De Cova's Examining the Thumbtip DVD. You won't look at this device the same way:
http://www.topsmagic.com/topshop/product......033c030a

Free Shipping in U.S. and Canada at TOPS Magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
AntonDreaming,

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p2059/Deluxe_......nfo.html

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet, but these look very nice. However, there was a thread on these, and I believe, if used forcefully, they have a tendency to peel the paint. Not sure, though. Please check previous threads.

luke

P.S. Have been thinking about picking one up myself, but haven't made up my mind.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 4:48am
By the way, if you find the company online, they will cater for a range of skin tones and thumb sizes. I think there are four colours altogether and a bunch of sizes.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 5:11am
http://www.magic-frediup.com/
Did a bit of searching, and I think this is the right site.

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2233 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 02:03, todsky wrote:

That being said, I actually use a soft Vernet, but I will now be searching out a pink fluorescent tip with flashing strobe lights.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 05:11, daviaac wrote:
http://www.magic-frediup.com/
Did a bit of searching, and I think this is the right site.

luke

For whatever it's worth, I bought a Frediup tip and then resold it a couple of months later.

It was just too soft and flexible for my taste. Also, the bottom edge is significantly more obvious than the Vernet and some of the vinyl tips that I prefer to use.

That said, I don't know what ATG is intending to do with the tip, so this might be right up his alley as it is much more realistic in appearance.
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
I do not know if you guys know or not, but Magic Makers, Inc. makes a really good one as well. I know because I use it all the time, and if you buy one of my DVDs, you get two of them with it.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I went to a magic convention and looked through jars and jars of thumbtips (and tried them on) until I found one that almost matches my skin tone and fits perfectly. This is the COMFORT FACTOR Christopher referred to. It's not green or red, nor does it have a flashing light (isn't that another marketed effect?). But I can wear it whenever and perform with it, and it just feels "right".

Jim
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I use a hard Vernet (standard size) and a Vernet King size.

In one of my routines, the King size is within audience view for over 20 straight seconds, within 12inches of their faces, with FULL HEAT on my hands.

Never been caught, never been hinted at.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL