The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Vernet soft......
never going out, without this best gimmick.....
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I've had a few thumb-tips since I bought my first one (50 years ago!) from Abbott's. I have always agreed that technique will get you by and is all that matters when using a TT until recently, when I bought a Thumbs-Up (soft) TT. Of course technique still counts for about 90% or more of how you use a TT, but the Thumbs-Up tip gives me greater confidence in case I accidentally flash it. It looks totally realistic. It's also easily size adjustable with hot water and then an ice bath to lock it in.

They aren't the most expensive TT, but they sure do look real and the load they will take is incredible. I'm going to try their "Hard" model next and see if I like it better with a magnet in it. The soft version kind of folds up a bit and seems insecure with a magnet. I'll continue to use my trusty old hard-as-a-rock Vernet for magnet TT effects until I get a hard version Thumbs-Up.

A tip: Buy your Thumbs-Up (if you decide to) from a reputable dealer instead of directly from MagicEffex. I used MJM Magic and had it in days. I tried getting one directly at first, but it turned into a mess because of reasons I don't care to comment on. Sometimes a dealer, instead of a maker is a much faster and more reliable way to go.

dsalley13

PS: A little bit of "Blusher" make-up (dry powder) works wonders for matching a very rosy pink skin like mine. Just brush it on until you get a good skin-tone match and wash it off when you put the Thumbs-Up away.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Vernet is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
In the first few posts some people said that it doesn't matter which TT you use, it matters that you know how to use one so the 'best' one is irrelevant. I agree mostly.
I have been using a vernet medium for over ten years and it has become discolored so I ordered two for $5 on ebay. I compared the new ones which have a mold line against the Vernet and guess what? They all work equally well. And to think I almost ordered an expensive ThumbsUp.
I love doing a voodooesque psychic surgery on a creepy doll and there's just no better apparatus for me than the good ol' TT.

:)
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Vernet hard tips are the best for me for bill switches (soft have too much friction). Vernet soft are the best for other things, such as salt pour.

Bob Phillips
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Flesh colored ones however are a good safety net, and allow one to show the thumb quickly while gesturing. Personally I would find it quite idiotic to wear a bright red TT, unless you are trying to show off in front of magicians. Accidents can happen, and you would just be begging to be busted. I prefer not be "limited" simply because of ego. I also like to point the TT directly at the audience, and it almost 30 years I have yet to hear anything about it.

It is also allows you to move a lot more naturally, and place your hand down at your side, moves that would be impossible with one of a contrasting color, and would draw more speculation to the hand being it looks so unnatural and rigid. The flesh color allows you to show your hand more freely and confidently. I use the XX TT for bigger loads, and being I have big knuckles.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
My wife found a set of Vernet fingers on that auction website e*a&. I'm not sure they are Vernet due to the mold lines and the color is very light.

I used crafting chalk and rubbed it in and in side lighting they look phenomenal. It's the same with the sixth finger as a regular TT as far as color goes with the EXCEPTION of the color. With many tricks, the spectators do not know what you're getting ready to do and probably aren't burning your hands. If the color is too light with the sixth finger it IS very noticeable.

I think the Fredi-Up is beautiful but due to the peeling paint and nature of silicone rubber I am hesitant to buy one but I may if they resolve those issues.

I really can't think of any other prop that does so much and has so much potential.
Rockabilly
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria, BC,
158 Posts

Profile of Rockabilly
Vernet makes the best TT in my opinion.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Last year I made the mistake of trying the FrediUp silicone tip as I was wondering what the fuss was about.

Yes, it is very realistic-looking but unfortunately it is also too delicate. The outer detail is a very thin film which almost immediately began rubbing off from the action of getting the tip on and off from my pocket.

I tried to cut the offending "flap" of peeling silicone/latex/whatever and the whole tip split down the middle!

In my opinion, this tip is useless in the real world. I went back to my Vernet and never looked back.

That said, if you are going to use this tip for something that is outside the normal performing parameters of a standard thumb tip, then maybe (if you handle it gently) you can take advantage of it's "movie prop" qualities.

Douglas M.
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
I would recommend vernet soft. I use it all the time and it has a nice snug fit.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-07-30 18:56, Douglas.M wrote:
Just to see what all the fuss was about, I purchased a FrediUp hyper-realistic thumb tip made of painted silicone. Long story short: the thing looked beautiful, but the outer thin layer of (latex?) paint peeled off just from taking the tip from my pocket. I tried to fix the thing but the whole tip split open. This particular silicone tip is WAY too delicate for real-world work (and it was not cheap). Also, doing the $100 bill switch was problematic because the silicone surface tended to grip onto the folded bill.

I went back to my dependible, and practically indestructible hard plastic Vernet, which I have never been "busted" on. Sometimes simpler is better.

Douglas M.

They've improved upon this issue recently.
The "coating" used to peel off - starting at the nail and then eventually bubbling across various other parts of the TT. The newer models don't have that same coating and the nails are done much different now. The improved Fredi-Up TTs I have have lived through much more rigorous activity, for much longer, than the original. I still use a standard Vernet for bill switches most of the time and my favorite non-Fredi-Up TT is the Vernet soft; but for nearly everything else outside of a bill switch, I use my Fredi-Up. I've bought Fredi-Up TTs for a few fellow magician friends and they, too, have elevated the Fredi-Up to their most-utilized TT.

Quote:
On 2008-09-20 02:12, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I have a green camouflage TT I got years ago. Not sure why. But, I used it for practice in the mirror. When I couldn't see it, I was happy with my technique.

Green camouflage?! That's hiliarious! I'd love to have one of those.
But when I first learned TT technique, I painted one a kind of neon purple color and practiced in the mirror until I didn't see it anymore and could keep it out of sight while moving naturally and not thinking about what I was doing. I performed with it ONCE outside the house to prove I was good enough on technique not to get caught by others and not just myself in the mirror.

After that, it was the Vernet standard for bill switches and the Vernet soft for everyhing else. However, since hearing about the Fredi-Up TTs, I've bought a few of those over the last few years, (they've improved them), and wouldn't give them up for anything; using them for everything but a bill switch and by adding a little contact paper on the inside, even a bill switch isn't a problem with the Fredi-Ups.

My point here is that Christopher has the right idea: practice - and master - proper technique. However, unlike those here that continue to arrogantly suggest that the use of more realistic tips is not necessary or, even worse, wrong or that "professionals" don't use such things; I think that magicians should use the best tools available to them. Master the technique so that you don't NEED the more realistic ones for STANDARD TT work; but then UTILIZE the realistic ones. It's a tool. And using a better tool only enhances the performance of a talented professional. Why people on this board, (not you, Christopher - I simply used your post as a springboard), continue to find it necessary to act arrogantly and/or insult those who seek to find/utilize a more realistic TT - a better tool - frustrates me. I find it to be extremely rude and presumptuous.

Fredi-Up TTs have been improved over the last couple/few years and they rock - even for those of us who are properly trained in the proper use of standard TTs.
Carry on.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 05:11, daviaac wrote:
http://www.magic-frediup.com/
Did a bit of searching, and I think this is the right site.

luke

I second this comment!
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
As stated above in so many words, get a TT that fits what you are trying to do with it. I would suggest that no one goes another minute with thoughts of using a TT without watching Alex Decova's DVD on the TT. I have never seen anything better on it's use.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Blaine and Bob Smith recommended someone to me for a routine with my sixth finger.

I don't have the details now but he makes a mold of your thumb and replicates it so pretty much its your thumb.

I reccomend looking into now.

Six
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
What are we looking into?
Get back to us when you have more details, please.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's fun to search for the perfect TT. Same goes for wallets, etc. It's not necessary, but fun to do.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
Vernet hard, nuff said.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Apparently not...
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 15:45, CAROLINI wrote:
As stated above in so many words, get a TT that fits what you are trying to do with it. I would suggest that no one goes another minute with thoughts of using a TT without watching Alex Decova's DVD on the TT. I have never seen anything better on it's use.

True. The "Examining The TT" DVD by Alexander de Cova is a great resource and a great springboard for thinking up new and/or unique ways to utilize this wonderful apparatus. Watch that DVD and you'll never look at a TT the same way again.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of my favorites is an old P&L Goblin Tube TT. It will hold a BUNCH of stuff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL