We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mac or PC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I just checked ebay. They don't sell for $100,000. So I don't have to kill myself over that. I'll have to come up with a stupid reason.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
I still have my VIC-20; I loved that thing.
I fired it up about a year ago and it still worked.

"PRESS PLAY ON TAPE"
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I lost my VIC-20 quite a while ago. Everybody loved the Teeth game.

I've also lost my Color Computer 3. Now there was a fun machine!

A also just check e-bay, one was going for $26.00 with $25.00 in shipping costs! So you didn't do so badly after all Stone.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I guess I didn't. I also sold it in...hmmm...1983 or 1984 or so. Back then, $25 was like, well, $100,000 or something. Smile
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
William Shatner weeps for you.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-04-26 10:19, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 10:06, JackScratch wrote:
Anyone who says anything different than what I just said is just waving the flag for their home team.

Yes, you're right. Sorry. Sometimes we get carried away...you know...talking about stuff.

I'm liking you more and more. Smile
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
If I doubted you two had any creativity at all, you have proven you don't.

JoeJoe, the Linux based systems are a little" less susceptible to hacking, not hack proof. The main thing that makes Mac/Linux boxes safer is the fact that it is much less profitable to hack Mac/Linux boxes. As that changes, so will their superior safety.

Slarti, I disagree. Macs are a little better for a whole lot more money. My biggest problem with Macs is that you don't really get what you are paying for. That and Mac lies, and that really really bothers me.

Linux is really your best Dollar value (duh) but they require more knowledge about the system than the average user has time to devote. I put of switching to Linux for so long because I just didn't want/have time to devote to learning how to make it work. All that is slowly changing though. Ubunto 7.10 (gutsy) is pretty user friendly. It's no Windows, but they get closer every day, and you sure can't beat the price.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I STILL own a couple of Commodore 128s and three Commodore 64s. I fire them up and play with them all the time. It's nice to use a computer every once in awhile just for the fun of it!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
That's funny. I threw my vic20 out about 3 months ago.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If you want to get into the old days of computers, check out Atari Archives and Atari Magazines (despite the titles, not all of the links pertain to Atari. Many deal with early Apples and/or Commodore computers, as well).

The first link is a great look into the '70s and early '80s period of computing, while the latter is focused on mainly the '80s. For some of you, this will induce a strong sense of nostalgia.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1023 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Guess what the CEO of Microsoft, Steve Balmer, uses...link
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
There is indisputable evidence that PC's are best.

Ignore the fact that there are people who know what they are talking about, who still argue about this... therefore making it disputable... It's still indisputable.

No, I say PC's are best. If you disagree it is more a personality flaw on your part than factual problem on mine.

Anyone who says anything different than what I just said is just waving the flag for their home team. That was objective.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2008-04-28 16:14, Josh Riel wrote:
There is indisputable evidence that PC's are best.

I would like to know what 'indisputable' evidence you have?

It really depends on what you intend to use your computer for, if you want to run a web server you will want to use Linux. If you want to do high-end video processing, you will want to use a Mac. And if you intend to surf the net and play games, a PC is your best bet.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I would have suggested (Were I that sort of person) that you read my entire post. However, I am not such a person, so I won't.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Hey Josh, ever think about coming up with your own material, rather than cut and pasting tiny portions of mine and thinking that makes you funny?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
No, I have never been under the impression anything you say is funny. I would never use it that way.

I did however use it to blatantly mock you and your statement. that was funny.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I gotta say, it works for me.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
OK, fine, you know what, PCs, and I'll tell you why, because a Mac is a Mac, and will only ever be a Mac, but a PC can ultimately be anything you want it to be, up to, and including, a Mac. You buy a Mac and you get the parts and OS it comes with. You can build a PC, you can build it any way you want. When a part on a PC gets old, you can usually replace it with an upgrade, depending on it's age. You can put any old OS you want on a PC, Not just Berkly with the Aqua GUI. And with all that flexibility at your command, it still costs less than a Mac.

Meanwhile, Josh, I am contributing to this thread, meanwhile, you are adding nothing. Not a thing. As usual, you have come into this thread with one goal in mind, to harass me. If you can't contribute, please don't post, and no, I don't care what you think about my posts, at all.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
...heh, heh. Aside from your coming into threads treating everyone who disagrees with you egregious disrespect, and whimpering (And reporting.... heh, heh) the second people are "mean" to you... You are a wonderful person (I'm just guessing here)

No, I don't come to any thread to harass you. It just happens to be any thread I find you in is just so easy.... Your always under the impression your right (Which is fine, everybody thinks they are right). The difference between you and most is you think your right and everyone who disagrees with you is absolutely stupid, childlike in knowledge and intellect. You believe what you write is a contribution. It is, but not in the way you think, and you are oblivious to that. I just really enjoy it.

I however, am fully aware that there is room for discussion in most of these issues. So do most reasonable, intelligent people. In fact every post I make in any serious thread is for a reason, usually to make my own point. And I have my way of posting, which you may not like, and I don't care. However I am not interested in your fragile feelings and sensitive nature. If you enter a thread, your posts are invariably the kind of posts that do not help discussions, this is why you think I'm picking on you. I'm not, really. The stiff neck is the soonest broken, think about this. (Although I would be a fool to believe you can be that introspective)

There may be some who disagree, but I've not yet seen more than one.... ever.

The question of Mac vs. PC (In the global/absolute sense) is as senseless as the argument between Ford & Chevy. Both sides can show evidence and indisputable proof.... If Mac vs. PC was a cut and dry answer, there would be no serious argument. They both have very positive points, they both have very negative points. When you say "PC/Ford/Blondes/biological weapons is better because it can do what I want it to do" you are not objective.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Once again Josh, just harassing and contributing nothing. If I were Jack, I'd quit the site in protest.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mac or PC (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL