The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My Mother (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I didn't know where else to put this. I seriously don't know if there is something wrong with her. Today she was telling me how gravity wasn't there because a balloon goes up. Part of her arguement was asking the question then why does it comes down when the helium leaks out? (no that wasn't a typo, that was her exact wording) She also made the arguement that because of salt a person floats easier in the ocean (the salt holds them up) and in lakes people should sink. Some do but then a lot still float. Why isn't gravity pulling them down.

I tried to explain basic gravitational science yet she wouldn't hear of it because "science is just a person's belief".

She has been getting worse. She is worried about the holes in the air caused by rockets going out. "They're punching holes and air is not there anymore!"

Should I be worried?
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1617 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Depends on the age of your mom (mine is 82), her education, her mood and the exact moment where this discussion took place. But I would not be to worry just keep patiently talking to her and enjoy being with her without second thoughts.

Take care
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
My mom is only 53
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
When was the last time she had a physical?
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
I guess the big question is whether or not this is a dramatic change in her personality. If she has always been like this, then it may just be that she is eccentric, or has her own view of the world. If this behavior is out of character for her, then you are probably right in being worried and should talk with her doctor about it.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
It is a change and it isn't. She has often lived her life as a....well I won't use her own words on this forum, but let's just say another word for female dog. She has purposely done this to hide and try to appear strong-willed.

The change though is the unwillingness to hear any reason and the sweeping generalizations that are turning into, I guess you can call it, racist attitudes. I fear that in any type of social interaction, she is going to say something that will get her to lose her "supposed level of respect" (see first paragraph).

I am worried what this would do to her. It's a kind of worry you have for your kids. You want them to have as many tools to handle many situations in this world, through knowledge, social skills etc. I feel if a situation arises, my mom's self-esteem (as low as it truly is) is going to crumble. I am worried about what type of depression she would go into. She also misinterpret's "I don't care what anybody else thinks" as self-esteem. A sense of pride is one thing that seems to be lacking.

She does go for a physical every year. Problem is that there are no physical tests for psychological disorders (this conclusion taken from the questioning of about 20 psychologists.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1616 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Really hard to offer much based on just your posts, but have you ruled out drinking or pills?
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I have ruled out that she is drinking or taking pills and also drugs, but maybe she should start! LOL. Some MJ might tone her down a bit!

I realize it's hard to give advise without knowing a lot about her. I am trying to not give out to much of her personal info without her consent.
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Bill,
There are various things that might cause these sorts of changes, including the onset of a psychiatric problem such as bipolar disorder or some early-onset dementing illnesses (for example, Fronto-Temporal Dementia, Pick's Disease, and others).
Consultation with the family physican, with a referral to a psychiatrist or a neurologist is advisable, if only to rule out these more serious problems and perhaps identify something else that is relatively benign.
Best wishes,
Bruce
(clinical neuropsychologist by day)
P.S. The tests that (neuro)psychologists administer may not be "physical," but they are often useful for clarifying diagnoses as they sample what the brain is doing.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Thanks, Avrakdavra. I didn't mean any disrespect by the physical test thing, just was stating a known fact (or unknown to a lot of people). I agree that ruling out certain disorders is the proper way to go.

I plan on calling her doctor on Monday and advising him of the situation and since he is an authority figure to her (in a way), maybe he can convince her to have tests down, or at the very least to come in and see him so he can make some type of judgement call.

I've worked in a Hospital before, and it's weird dealing with a possible dementia type of problem with one of your own as opposed to those whom you have no connection with (in which I handled it fine. Of course I didn't have to deal with it on a constant basis).

Thanks everybody for the help and the PMs also.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My Mother (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL