The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Did you start magic 'later' in life? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hi, I'm turning 52 next week and I just started studying magic about a year and a half ago. I know that many, many magicians got their start when they were in their teens or younger. I'm curious who of you started later in life, lets say past their 20's? Also, if you started later, have you taken it past the amateur stage into professional performing?

This week I performed my first show for some cub scouts and today I performed a birthday show for my wife’s niece. Next month I’m performing another scout show for my wife’s sisters cub scout troop. All of these shows were volunteer but the feedback I got was very good and has got me to thinking that this could turn into a part time gig. I’m really enjoying myself and wouldn’t mind a little extra cash to help pay for the addiction.

Mike
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I've only been into magic and mentalism seriously for about 3 years, but in that time I've written four books and recorded a DVD. I'm 41, so maybe anything's possible!

I came from a lifelong love of psychology and so that's reflected in my mentalism, rather than the usual apparatus and techniques. I never learned sleight of hand at an early age, hence my proficiency with the stripper deck, for which I've written over 20 sleights. So, maybe not knowing what I'm doing has got me further in a short time than knowing what I'm doing!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
My journey began some 20 yrs. ago when I was in my mid-30s.

While I considered the part-time pro route I never went professional. For about 5 years I did lots of performing for private gatherings and got the gigs by word of mouth. Some for pay and some for fun.

Due to personal reasons I rarely perform nowadays but still love magic as a hobby.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I have to say I have loved seeing magic performed all my life, I am now * grumblegrumble* years old.. Ok I'll admit to being over 30.. And while I have bought books on " Card Tricks" in the past I never really started taking it seriously until 7 years ago.

It was my nieces birthday coming up, and we all went to buy her a gift, she expressed an interest in magic, so we went to buy her a magic set. We found a magic shop, and while I was there I did a Little browsing, and chatting with the sales guy.

I asked if he could recommend anything for someone interested in " card tricks" ( I feel so embarrassed now at my ignorance back then.) He told me about Michael Ammar's Easy to master Card Miracles. I bought the first 3 VHS tapes. Expecting the same ol' same ol'. It was around the second or third tape that it hit mt.." This is real card magic." That was intimidating...but I kept at it... Now I am a heavy duty magic nut...

I am still a hobbyist, mostly because I do not always find time to practice, but that is changing. I am making an effort to practice more and more, and hope to go semi-pro. Hope to earn enough to pay for the effects I want.

As I said I started with cards, I looked into Coins but, not exactly sure if it's for me. But of late, surprisingly I am falling in love with Rope magic, Mostly because of Richard Sanders Fiber Optics Extended. I also think it may be more commercial than Card Magic... packs small, plays big... Also getting Tabary Rope Magic Volumes 1 and 2. As soon as I start earning cash I'll keep you all posted. Smile
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm 39. I lost interest in magic when my family imploded back when I was in my early teens.

All these years later I am now a Christian with family of my own and it seems that the Lord has restored all the years taken from me. I have an interest in magic again and I seem to have a pretty good knack for it.

I'm practicing with the "sky's the limit" in mind, and have performed once at a church bake sale and again for a family gathering at Easter as well as some street witnessing/magic.

I guess it's never too late! But as a few have said; this is one expensive, addicting hobby.

Be blessed!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I joined my local magic circle at aged 35 (13 years ago, I'm 48 now), having never really performed publically save for a couple of parlour 'shows' for family & a bit of close up. About 3 years later I started performimg close up for my magic club as an occasional member of it's 'close up' team, as a volunteer - these were paid gigs for the magic club entertaining social clubs such as golf clubs i.e the fee going to the magic club. 2 years ago (at 45/46) I started doing more. I've placed an ad in the yellow pages for these past 2 consecutive years which has got me gigs (even though I'm not a children's entertainer so this is not the best medium for me really, but I took the ad just to get my name out there for a couple of years) and most significantly I have obtained a restaurant residency that lasted 13 months. I have picked up birthday parties (adults - I turn down calls for children's parties) and wedding bookings. I've obtained quite a good website which helps my marketing (& business cards), but because I have a (well paid) full time day job, I don't advertise very aggressively or very widely.
I'd call this a sideline rather than being semi-pro, but I am wavering on going half time in my 'day' job and stepping up my magic.
This goes to show you that you can do it. Initially when I joined the club, I was intimidated by the experience and skills of the established guys of my age who were already in, and by the confidence and sleight of hand prowess of some of the younger guys. But then I slowly started to gain confidence and realised that I can do as well as most of them. I found that if people like you, and you are entertaining that is a far better weapon than a pass. Go for it... and good luck.
mrsmiles
(UK)
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2008-04-27 07:53, Jon_Thompson wrote:
I've only been into magic and mentalism seriously for about 3 years, but in that time I've written four books and recorded a DVD. I'm 41, so maybe anything's possible!

Wow! That's impressive! Is this a full time profession for you or were you able to accomplish this working part time?

When I started this journey, I thought that it would just be something to entertain friends and family but the more serious I become, the more I am interested in taking it further. Although turning 52, I'm of the opinion that I still have half my life ahead of me and the opportunity to do anything I want. I own my own business which is doing well but it also gives me a little freedom and time to persue other interests.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I once read that Robert-Houdin though he had a life long interest in Magic, did not really start pursuing it until in his 30's. I find that encouraging. And yes, the more you learn about magic, and performing it, the more seriously you take it. I have to say, since I started spending time at magic forums , and just discussing magic, and talking over what works and doesn't work...favorite routines and handlings, that I spend all my spare time thinking about magic. I have even been dreaming about magic lol.

It's funny, My husband who is also a hobbyist, and started on this road along with me tells me some nights he looks at me, sees my hands moving...as I dream he says.." Ok, that's a french drop.... ok, that's a retention vanish... " lol...

Just curious, is it just me?
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2008-04-27 17:53, rockwall wrote:
Wow! That's impressive! Is this a full time profession for you or were you able to accomplish this working part time?

I've been quite lucky, really. I'm a freelance writer, so getting my thoughts down on paper holds no fears (including writing the Thinking Allowed column in Online Visions every month). I wrote the books in the evenings and weekends, and I perform for free to test out new material.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I didn't get started until I was 29, I think it's working out ok Smile

Mike
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
I started at 40, now approaching 45 (Saturday). Still a hobbyist, but now much more confident in handling cards and can learn new moves/routines easier. I am involved in outdoor education, so whilst I don't perform magic professionally it helps me facilitate learing during outdoor programs. I certainly an effective ice-breaker with new groups,

cheers

Daryl
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Mike, I started with magic as a teenager and did lots of birthday parties (for kids that were only seven years younger than me!). I did no sleight-of-hand, and was a "boxes and bags" magician (Die Box, Drumhead Tube, Hippity-Hop Rabbits, Mismade Flag, Milk Pitcher, Temple Screen, etc.)

My interest waned after high school, but I picked it up again about five years ago, at the age of 53. This time, I went for coin magic (Miser's Dream, Okito Box, Stack of Quarters, etc.) and the Cups & Balls. Learning sleight-of-hand was tremendously satisfying for me because it is a skill you cannot buy, and once you have acquired it, you have tremendous flexibility in performing that apparatus alone cannot provide. With the VHS/DVD revolution, learning sleights is now much easier than trying to learn them from books (which are still tops for routines, patter and theory). And you don't need to be fancy -- a good Finger Palm is all you need for the Cups & Balls; a Finger Palm, Thumb Palm and a Shuttle Pass can take you very far with coin magic.

Three years ago I decided to sell Svengali Decks, Magic Worms, Money Paddles and other classic pocket magic tricks at street festivals, country fairs, flea markets and craft shows, and have been having a blast ever since. Now I get to perform almost continuously for 5-6 hours at a stretch, perfecting my moves and patter, while getting paid pretty well for doing it!

In my opinion, although being younger may give you an edge with dexterity (and perhaps nerve), I think being older makes you a better peformer. With age, you are better able to appreciate the psychology involved, handle the misdirection that's required, and pay attention to the details that can make or break a good trick. Age also brings a certain authority that can be helpful in audience management and control.

So jump right in, the water's fine! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I was about 26 years old. I always loved performing. Started out acting then hanging out with street performers in San Diego, then eventually stand-up comedy, in the early to mid 80's. The path eventually lead me to magic, where I've been ever since.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Seth,

It's great to see someone who started close to my age also! That's cool what you're doing at street festivals. I wish they had something like that out here in Utah! My good friend Brad Gordon also pointed out that Eugene Burger waited until he was late fifties, early sixties until he took it seriously.

Mike
Scott_Priest
View Profile
New user
Alabama
9 Posts

Profile of Scott_Priest
I took up magic about 5 years ago, I'm 41 now. At first, I used it as a way to keep the new employees interested while I trained them for thier job. The next thing I knew, I had requests to perform at parties, then a few companies hired me, etc. I've been fully committed to mentalism for 2 years now & am soon to be out promoting myself. I don't believe that age holds us back from anything - nothing.
Dedication & love for the art as well as yourself & others is the key - at least that's the key that works for me.
Sapere Aude
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Thanks everyone for all the great input and thanks Scott for a great post.

I agree with you about nothing holding us back. I was 48 when the company I worked for went out of business and I couldn't find more work in my chosen profession any more. So, I started my own business which is doing quite well now. I also ended up going through divorce, bankruptcy, and just about every major life change in the space of two years. I've remarried to a wonderful woman, my business is doing great, my wife and I are now regular rock climbers, and I've discovered this great love for magic. My feeling is that I've essentially started my second life and that I can do as much if not more in this 2nd life of mine as I had accomplished in my first life.

Mike
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Reading this thread really puts some encouragement for me. I too started at the late 20's. 27 to be precise.

Imagine started into magic when you already had a regular job, had a girlfriend, prepare things to get married, and many many things, so little time that I can spare for practicing : |But that's not an excuse Smile

For the moment it's already been 4 months, still on the phase of buying dvds, books, tricks, and finding the right category of magic that I really into Smile right I can confirm that I'm into coins Smile

As for the buying phase, this is the most difficult to handle, to many to buy Smile plus my girlfriend don't like me doing magic >.< *sigh* lucky you guys that have support from your soulmate Smile

If time permits, I really do want to take the professional route after 10-15 years later Smile

What can be more good when we retire, we can still do jobs, which is fun for us, and the audience Smile

Hopefully the magic will stay within me and all of you guys ^_^

-Efendi.
nicky
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of nicky
I started about six years ago at the age of 40, still just a hobby,though l do perform a lot especially at elem. school where l teach Japanese children english.
Would like in the near future to make it a part time job,but if not will still enjoy it ,entertaining & learning .
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Even though I'm fairly young since I'm still in my teens and I started as a preteen, I wanted to mention that the lecturer at my local magic club's meeting on monday (Chuck Hickok) started at 35 and is now in his 50s or 60s and despite being a late bloomer, a pretty fameous mentalist and I loved his lecture despite rarely ever doing mentalism.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Even though I'm fairly young since I'm still in my teens and I started as a preteen, I wanted to mention that the lecturer at my local magic club's meeting on monday (Chuck Hickok) started at 35 and is now in his 50s or 60s and despite being a late bloomer, a pretty fameous mentalist and I loved his lecture despite rarely ever doing mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Did you start magic 'later' in life? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL