The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Chris Kenner, Totally Out of Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stedwick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
73 Posts

Profile of Stedwick
Words cannot do this book justice.

For one thing, it is the most entertaining magic book I've ever read. It's just as fun as reading a good novel! If Chris Kenner is as funny in person as he is in this book, I would give my right leg to see him perform.

What's more, the tricks are excellent. Some are hard, some are easy. However, they are all exactly as hard as they need to be. Chris Kenner has taken classic effects and streamlined the handling down to its bare bones.

Okay, there are a few exceptions. Some of the tricks are insanely hard.

Here are some highlights of the book:

Missing Link: a rubber band trick that rivals Crazy Man's Handcuffs! You take two rubber bands (no gimmicks) and link them together! They are CLEARLY linked. One band dangles from the other band. You can watch Vinny Marini perform this at http://www.magicvideodepot.com

Travelers 1: I can honestly say that I have never seen a trick that is "too perfect"...until now. Imagine an ace assembly without any extra cards. You take out the four aces and put one ace on the table and three in your hand. Instantly, there are two aces on the table and two in your hand. Instantly, there are three aces on the table and one in your hand. Vanish the last ace using your favorite method and instantly it appears on the table. It's a good thing I don't buy into the "too perfect" theory or else I would never perform this trick.

Menage et Trois: This is Chris Kenner's famous 3-Fly routine. You can watch Denis Behr perform this routine on his website at http://www.denisbehr.de
Needless to say, the effect is incredible. I have never seen Ultimate 3-Fly, but I cannot imagine it could look any better than Menage et Trois.

Bottom Line: Totally Out of Control ROCKS!

It is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

And let me reinforce just how entertaining this book really is =) It had me laughing out loud while I was reading it.

Five stars out of five.

Stedwick
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Isn't this book out of print? If not where can it be purchased?
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Stedwick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
73 Posts

Profile of Stedwick
Yes, it is out of print. I had a tough time getting my hands on it. I finally found someone selling it used on Amazon.com

So, I couldn't really tell you where to get it. You just have to look around and get lucky.

Stedwick
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
771 Posts

Profile of Loz
I must say I found the "humour" in this book rather childish and irritating and it detracts from the magic. But that's probably just me being a downer.

The effects are certainly very streamlined and interesting, but I wouldn't say it is that earth-shattering - certainly worth the purchase though if you can find it.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
It shows up on e-bay from time to time.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I was lucky and got the book for $10.00 USA
at a magic flea market years ago. It is a very good book.

The effects that I do from the book are,
Long gone silver, Poker in the Eyes and Twister.

After I do Larry Jenning's Open Travelers I go right into Twister.

This is a good book!

Ray Noble
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10765 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This book should be in evey ones ,magic library (out of control)
even if you never use any of Chris Kenners effects.

It will some day be a classic
-vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I do Hellbound Spellbound. It is a very good routine with a nice kicker ending.
Bernard Sim
Alpen
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
163 Posts

Profile of Alpen
I have a copy for sale if anyone's interested... PM me.

Alpen
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I liked the humor but it seemed pretty immature. IF he's so good (and I think he is) his routines should stand on their own without bashing other magicians. His 3-coin vanish and reproduction is really nice.
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
I love this book and thought that it was refeshing to see the different writing style. I wish more magic books were written in such a creative way.

It may have offended some but I don't think he crossed the line of good taste.
SmoothAM
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of SmoothAM
I think I'm going to pick this book up soon.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
You can purchase the reprint from Richard kaufman at the Genii Magazine homepage for I think.....$40.00 For those interested I think you can also purchase the reprint of Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Good luck!

http://www.geniimagazine.com
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Or look up this link: http://www.geniimagazine.com/kaufmanandco/newreleases.html
The price is $45.00 now, but its still a bargain.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
It should be $40 since it's still on the new reprints page.
budzy
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of budzy
Totally out of control is also at Hocus Pocus

Frank
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
771 Posts

Profile of Loz
I've come to love this book now I have more experience. Great stuff.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Hmmmm.The humour is childish!..But worst of all was the 'funny' idea of putting
Roman numerals in the WRONG order on the Missing Link' effect.No wonder people
are buying more Dvd's then books!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I saw Chris perform at the MAGIC Live convention in Vegas last year... I was in hysterics! I thought that his magic was brilliant...for those in attendance (or who have seen Chris perform), the Texas trick was AMAZING...atleast I thought it was!
A Brilliant lecturer too...its just such a shame that he only had about 30 minutes! Just as funny in person as he is in text!
Owen
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I got a first edition off Ebay a while back.I loved the book then and I still love the book now.Take my word for it,it's a great book!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Chris Kenner, Totally Out of Control (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL