The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New palming technique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
I have devised what I believe is a fairly innovative and original way of palming a card, I'm not sure if it has any use in gambling other than the usual ´palming for the cut. Here's a video, I hope you enjoy it, please say what you think and thanks in advance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hE0GMakY50

magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Nobody?

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
OK 8, I'll bite.

I think you show a lot of promise as a magician.

Jeff
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1903 Posts

Profile of iamslow
That's a good palm for card to pocket..
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
M-8,

I agree that your palm would be good for any effect requiring removal of a card for reappearance elsewhere, whether it be from your pocket, card to wallet, or whatever.

One thing that stood out to me was the exaggerated extension of your right pinky finger, which I'm not sure is intended to "prove" that there is no card behind it, or is simply the way you normally handle cards.

Either way, I believe that the effect would draw less heat if the pinky was held in a more natural position. Maybe it's just me, but any handling of cards in a manner appearing other than completely natural draws unwarranted attention.

Keep up the good work!

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Yes, it is to prove that there's no card in the hand, it can be eliminated, but then you can't extend your fingers that much,

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I meant my compliment, but I also meant something else which perhaps you didn't pick up on.

As for the pinkie: at the gambling table, why would you ever want to prove that there's no card in the hand?

Jeff
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Stoneunhinged,
I did pick up what you say, this palm makes for a great steal and was originally thought for the card table, I do not wish to expose the method but you'd notice the the hand is meant to be over the table edge.
as for why you'd like to show an empty hand at the table, just so you're not suspected.

card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat

Did you not get my PM?

CC
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
No, I guess not.

splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1253 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 14:07, magician8 wrote:
I did pick up what you say, this palm makes for a great steal and was originally thought for the card table

Do you often hold the deck that way and square it like that while standing up at the card table?

I have to admit it would look strange to me and I would fully expect the person doing it to continue with a magic trick.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Looks pretty good and I can see it's merits but if you don't want to expose the method you shouldn't have a 3.25 minute video of it since I pretty much had it down after about 2 mins.!
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2008-04-28 19:33, iamslow wrote:
That's a good palm for card to pocket..

I've never done a card-to-pocket with anything resembling a Tenkai or longitudinal palm... does it work well?

The steal looks alright. It's invisible on this video but it's a slightly unmotivated action. Can you get into it from a deck-squaring action? Otherwise anybody who sees it enough is going to know that the second that hand is hovering over the deck is important.

Regarding the palm itself, the angles are tough but you probably already knew that. One thing, though, the hand that's holding out must look like it always does, so unless your hand is always in that sort of stylized pose for every trick you do, it's going to draw attention to itself.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 15:48, splice wrote:
Quote:
I did pick up what you say, this palm makes for a great steal and was originally thought for the card table

Do you often hold the deck that way and square it like that while standing up at the card table?

I have to admit it would look strange to me and I would fully expect the person doing it to continue with a magic trick.

DUe to your lack of imagination I have been forced to do a new video where I palm at a table.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCLqoNhWu0&feature=user

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
The palm looks great. The right hand does look stiff though.
Magic is a vanishing art.
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Thanks,

erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 18:45, magician8 wrote:
DUe to your lack of imagination I have been forced to do a new video where I palm at a table.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCLqoNhWu0&feature=user

Same problem as before. The steal is good, but the hand hovering over the deck and the stiffness of that hand after the steal are both tells.

By the way, if you want people's help, you might want to cut down on the attitude.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
What part do you feel or are claiming is original?

Position of fingers to lever card up, the actual palm position, the displays, the replacement or what?

Will be easier to give feedback and whatnot if you are specific.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
...as for why you'd like to show an empty hand at the table, just so you're not suspected.

As they say, if you're suspected, QUIT!

You can't show your hand 'empty,' because it isn't... All you can do is conceal something in it.

Thanks,

John

P.S. What does it achive that Gamblers, Tenkai or Angle Palm doesn't?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New palming technique (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL