The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New palming technique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of magician8
I have never insulted him and I am well aware of his superiority,

Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 09:49, magician8 wrote:
I do not know what a lateral palm is, I guess it's lennart green's but I've always refered at it as the snap deal palm. Yes, you could say my palm is a sort of lateral palm, In any case what I thought was original was not only the position in which the card ends but also how that card actually gets to that position. The whole move is what I think is original, breaking it down, I'm sure you can find many inspirations.
Mr. Youell, I would appreciate it if before you post about me not doing my homework you do yours.

The concept of tilting a card to bring it in lateral palm is not new,i use this move just like you did in your video, ever since I learn the Wow control from Olmac,Olmac uses that move to tilt the card and I added the steal in lateral but never claim it was original,i actually have 4 ways of palming the card,two of then going straight to lateral palm lowest and midium,the other two to longitud palm and classic palm.

You did it very well,no doubt about it.

peace.

Mano.

P.S. Hideo wrote:
I don't think hands can't be natural with this method as middle and/or ring finger need to be in that shape to hold the card.

As stealing the card in that position is very good, maybe it is a good idea to shift the stolen card into Tenkai Palm.

Actually I personally believe that a card in lateral palm makes your hand look more natural than if the card were in classic palm, and I mean way more natural, when you have a card in classic palm, you have to bend your fingers, sort of like finger palming a coin,becuase that is the way the hand loooks relaxed and natural, with the card in lateral palm you do not need to do anything, because the hand will be in its natural position on the spot; now if the card is tranfer to tenkai that would give you the chance to show windows on your fingers but won't make the hand looks as relaxed as lateral palm,especially if the card is tenkai in a way that you have to bend the the knuckle of you thumb to grip it with the tip of the thumb as I usually see magicians do it,then they are hiding their thumb and I do not see anything natural doing that,on the other hand if one can tenkai a card of a jumbo coin extending the thumb to use that part of the flesh way back of the thumb to grip the card,then they can see the thumb a bit and the hand will look better,that is the way I do it when I use tenkai in some effects,:), but I still believe the hand looks more NATURAL and RELAXED in Lateral palm.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Magician8,

Check Expert Card Technique, rear palming.

~ Feras
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Steven Youell you old wag,

>You should not even use the WORDS original towards a move you believe you came up with until you do the following:

>1) Discuss it in private with some very knowledgable Cardmen.
>2) Spend a year researching every palm in print and on DVD to note similarities.
>3) Use it in real world performances over 500 times.

1. He did not originally use the words 'original'. He said 'devised' which implies he was fiddling around and wants to show what he has come up with.

But moreover, for a lot of magicians who do not have mentors (lucky you) or 'very knowledgeable' cardmen to talk to, that is exactly what they seek to find on a forum such as this. (Although I will admit he has gone on to show an attitude which leaves a little to be desired. Let us lead by example.)

2. Don't be silly. He's a young guy. How do you suppose he would be able to watch every single palm on DVD even if he WERE planning releasing this move as original (which he isn't).

3. What has this got to do with something being original? It seems a very odd thing to say in this context.

If you really believe in good teaching try some carrot and cut your stick. This blossom needs guidance, not trampling down.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I agree with the above poster Steven Youell should crawl down from his own arse and realise that not everybody is an expert and historian.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's usually easier to say something like:

That video looks pretty good. From what can be seen in occasional glimpses and inferred from hand positions - there are similar concealments, palms and changes in our literature. I can't see enough from the video to discuss originality or credits. If you want to discuss details let's do that via PM or offline.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 15:22, EscapeMaster wrote:
Steven Youell you old wag,

>You should not even use the WORDS original towards a move you believe you came up with until you do the following:

>1) Discuss it in private with some very knowledgable Cardmen.
>2) Spend a year researching every palm in print and on DVD to note similarities.
>3) Use it in real world performances over 500 times.

1. He did not originally use the words 'original'. He said 'devised' which implies he was fiddling around and wants to show what he has come up with.

But moreover, for a lot of magicians who do not have mentors (lucky you) or 'very knowledgeable' cardmen to talk to, that is exactly what they seek to find on a forum such as this. (Although I will admit he has gone on to show an attitude which leaves a little to be desired. Let us lead by example.)

2. Don't be silly. He's a young guy. How do you suppose he would be able to watch every single palm on DVD even if he WERE planning releasing this move as original (which he isn't).

3. What has this got to do with something being original? It seems a very odd thing to say in this context.

If you really believe in good teaching try some carrot and cut your stick. This blossom needs guidance, not trampling down.

I also agree with this post.

Mano.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Dorian,
Ever since I saw your card work that day at Misdirections I have been hacking away at cards and YES I have Steranko on Cards (still a bit over my head at this point) but me thinks I could use a session or two with you sometime in the near future! Ya just gotta promise to be kind and gentle! LOL
Actually if it could work out I'll be back up there in July on biz or if you make a run to LA I could make the trip over the hill for the day, lemme know!
Look forward to seeing you again soon,

Mick
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
I do not know what a lateral palm is, I guess it's lennart green's but I've always refered at it as the snap deal palm.

uh.. you've had three days to find out and you STILL haven't bothered to look it up or ask anyone.....! So you've now had the opportubity and STILL haven't done it.

Quote:
Mr. Youell, I would appreciate it if before you post about me not doing my homework you do yours.

Kid,
I was doing my homework when you were still gnawing on a fudgesicle and watching the mutant ninja turtles.

Tell ya what -- let's both let it go. PM me and I'll send you some stuff.

SEY
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Quote:
On 2008-05-04 01:10, Steven Youell wrote:
uh.. you've had three days to find out and you STILL haven't bothered to look it up or ask anyone.....!

I've always loved the "...!" punctuation. Does the inflection go up or down, or do you sort of warble out the last word before it?

Andru
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 17:49, trickytrav wrote:
I agree with the above poster Steven Youell should crawl down from his own arse and realise that not everybody is an expert and historian.

If you don't want to check the references, then don't post the videos.
That's not being a historian, it's having integrity.

SEY
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hey Mick,

Name a weekend. It will give me a reason to take a road trip to LA.

Best,

Dorian
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2008-05-04 03:19, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Hey Mick,

Name a weekend. It will give me a reason to take a road trip to LA.

Best,

Dorian

Yo! You go to LA and don't come to SD to see me and bad things will happen...

SEY
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Can you come to the Castle on the 25th? I'll be there.

Dorian
Bema
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Bema
Quote:
On 2008-05-04 14:57, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Can you come to the Castle on the 25th? I'll be there.

Dorian

Will you be performing your excellent cards from mouth again?
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full....
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
The palm (or rather, the steal from the pack) looks very similar to the steal/palm of Derren Brown's Velvet Turnover move described in "The Devil's Picturebook". You might want to check that out for some more applications after the card is palmed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New palming technique (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL