The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What's the point of the C&B? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 22:56, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Just for fun, see what you can do taking the "three ball" routine and use a cup or two for some reason in there - see where that takes you.

:)

grrrr... hy tease me ..lol. I have a hard time with the 1 ball routine. just got started on this myself. But it really is a fun thing to do when done well. And yes...Tommy Wonder was an awesome performer. Got more bang from 2 cups than many would with three. Makes it clearer. And I love how he even uses the sock, and the little ball on the string in there. Talk about not letting anytning go to waste...lol
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Just for fun, see what you can do taking the "three ball" routine and use a cup or two for some reason in there - see where that takes you.

Check out the works of Doc Daley and Milt Kort for just two examples of this.

Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The cups and balls is a mysterious piece of magic. It's been around for millenia, yet, from time to time each of us who works with it discovers something new...usually to find that someone else has already thought of it.

If you can develop a sense of wonder about why the old moves keep reappearing in new forms, you may begin to understand the real mystery behind the cups and balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 20:47, Bill Palmer wrote:
from time to time each of us who works with it discovers something new...usually to find that someone else has already thought of it.

and sometimes ya just get lucky...

-DJ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Very true. And I know what you mean! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Why do we do any of the tricks we do ?
Why does a juggler, juggle ?
Why does a cellist play a cello ?
why does a poet, write poems?
why does a muskrat guard his musk ?

I like the posted answers, because we can ,we like to, we want to, we must. what other reason do we need ?

Joe H
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 19:04, Joe Howard wrote:
Why do we do any of the tricks we do ?... because we can ,we like to, we want to, we must. what other reason do we need ?

Joe H

At some point one may find some advantage in finding a balance of versatility and time against self amusement for the sake of getting along with audiences.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you perform any of these things without the idea of communicating something to an audience, then you are only communicating with the person who is watching or listening...i.e. yourself.

And how do we regard people who talk to themselves?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Funny about the basic props - nobody says you HAVE to show all the cups or all three balls at the same time for your routine - or that they have to be the same color, size etc - which comes in handy when trying to organize a routine that's more than three minutes long.

Hey Bill, I resemble that remark Smile
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Are we communicating by sharing something we love ?

Joe H
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-25 22:08, Joe Howard wrote:
Are we communicating by sharing something we love ?

Joe H

? let's leave the kids and wives out of this. Okay?

It's just as easy to frame that question in terms of the audience - ie we are doing the show for them. Smile
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
So, the point of the Cups & Balls is to entertain.
"But there isn't a door"
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I think that is half right. A singer can entertain, so can a dancer, a Cellist, or an actor. We do the Cups and Balls to entertain and AMAZE. We entertain by presenting the audience with an impossibility. We entertain by providing what should leave them with an experience that knocks their everyday logical reality off it's tracks and pulls the rug out from under them.

When we perform we should have sent them through a metaphorical roller coaster where they imagine we can do the IMPOSSIBLE, and do so on an everyday basis..... all for their entertainment pleasure. If all we have done is entertained, we are halfway there. We also need to send them away astonished.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Maybe a definition of "entertain" is in order.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I don't agree that, as magicians, we 'need' to send audiences away astonished to entertain them.

As an example, Tommy Cooper in many of his routines never fooled anyone but I defy anyone to say that the late Mr Cooper didn't entertain.

Audiences can be entertained by any number of means, astonishment, laughter, sadness etc.
All of these things can be achieved by reaching out and touching the emotions of an audience, communicating with them.

Do the show FOR them rather than TO them.
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 07:12, clarissa35f wrote:
I think that is half right. A singer can entertain, so can a dancer, a Cellist, or an actor. We do the Cups and Balls to entertain and AMAZE. We entertain by presenting the audience with an impossibility. We entertain by providing what should leave them with an experience that knocks their everyday logical reality off it's tracks and pulls the rug out from under them.

When we perform we should have sent them through a metaphorical roller coaster where they imagine we can do the IMPOSSIBLE, and do so on an everyday basis..... all for their entertainment pleasure. If all we have done is entertained, we are halfway there. We also need to send them away astonished.

I'm curious. Are you now or have you ever been a performer?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Ok, I've waited thinking "surely someone will say it" but no one did (that I could see). Why do we do it? Everyone has reasons... fun, entertain, amaze, just because. However, a KEY reason many do this is as simple as the origin of the trick itself. MONEY. There I said it! Professional performers perform it for financial means just like professional singers, actors, plate spinners whatever. Sure it is fun, entertaining, amazing and different... but its origins go back to making money, and even today your street magician or busker is making money and that is great. Theres nothing wrong with that... maybe one day I'll make some big time buck-a-roos while performing it Smile Why did no one say it? Just curious :-p

-DJ
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
DJ,

You are of course correct in saying that it was done to make money.

For some practioners the C&B was done to attract a crowd, that crowd could then be sold to.

Others were conjurers who just did the C&B to entertain and therefore get money.

I posted on why I perform the C&B.

Of course another reason is, the Cups and Balls is my favourite trick.
Basically, it has everything that any magician would want to do. Transpositions, vanishes, appearances etc can all be a part of a C&B routine.

I Smile it
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are so many different reasons to do magic that the idea of running the audience through an emotional roller coaster is not necessarily valid for every one of them. For example, if you are doing a trade show presentation, you probably want to steer clear of the more gut-wrenching emotions, other than, perhaps, the apparent destruction of an item of value or the possibility of winning an item.

Some forms of magic are simply diversions to bring a potential customer into a position of interest in a completely unrelated product or service, as Tom has pointed out above.

This does not negate the idea of artistic, emotional magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Quote:
On 2008-05-10 12:04, ferrissteve wrote:
Saw steve bender lecture at my ring meeting not to long ago and he did the cups and balls with a poem of sorts. was a neat way of presenting the effect. had a nice flow and structure. not my preferred approach, but not bad.

Its the Rub-a Dub C&B routine he does
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What's the point of the C&B? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL